Grilled Cheese anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well spotted charlie, my wife reads cyrillic and says it is not serbian or greek so it must be russian.

Grilled Provolone & Tomato Ali Oli

There was a post from Annie Drews, requesting some help in making phenomenal grilled cheese sandwiches. I could not re-locate her post however, I found this thread. WOW ... some very cool sandwiches. I shall have to try them out on my twin grandsons.

Here is my provolone cheese and tomato ali oli grilled cheese sandwich:

8 thick slices of bacon ( can use Proscuitto di Parma or Serrano Ham )

8 slices of French style Baguette ( in the USA - I use sourdough )
( 5" x 3" x 1/2 inch slices )

2 cups = 8 ounces: grated spicy and herbed provolone ( can use cheddar or asiago )

4 tablespoons of Sun dried tomato ali oli

1) fry bacon in skillet on medium heat, until crisp and turn occasionally about 5 mins.

2) place bacon on absorbent paper towels and let drain

3) wash sauté skillet and dry well

4) place 4 bread slices on work surface or wood block cutting board

5) press the provolone or gruyère or cheddar or cheese of choice into each bread slice

6) top each with 2 slices of ripe red tomato and sprinkle freshly grinded black, green and rose peppercorns and salt if desired

7) place 2 bacon or ham slices to fit

8) press more cheese over the bacon or ham

9)then place the ali oli ( or Light mayonnaise jarred type ) over the bread and close sandwiches

10) now mayonnaise exterior bread slices

11) heat large skillet over medium heat and add the sandwiches on down side

12) place a weight on each sandwich ( something heavy and iron )

13) sauté the sandwiches until the bottom is golden and then, repeat for other side ( 2 to 3 mins. )

14) cut the sandwiches crosswise and serve with a Pinot Noir or sparkling water with lemon or orange or lime

*** Hand made Ali Oli with sundried tomatoes :

1/4 cup drained sun dried tomatoes ( drain olive oil )
1 large egg
2 tblsps minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup olive oil ( Borges Brand 100% Hojiblanca which is exported to the USA = light, and pairs perfectly with cheese and fish dishes and fruity aromas )
white pepper, black pepper and salt

1) finely chop the sundried tomatoes in food processor / electric mixer
2) add the egg, garlic minced, mustard, lemon juice and Blend well
3) feed in the olive oil slowly and steadily and blend until smooth and thick
( ali oli is much thicker than mayonnaise -- more of a dip consistency )
4) season with salt and pepper

*** jarred mayonnaise is mediocre next to Ali Oli ... this I assure you, is quite a grilled cheese ...

Margi.Cintrano.

French Onion Grilled Cheese

Here is one I posted a while back. Basically, it is caramelized onions flavored with sherry, beef stock, garlic, thyme, black pepper, fresh parsley. Grilled with a mix of mozza and gruyere.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 166
My daughter is taking me out to lunch today. We are going to have pizza. After reading this thread, I think I want grilled cheese instead. But the place we are going only serves pizza and Italian sandwiches. I may have eggplant parm sandwich instead of pizza.

My favorite grilled cheese is with tomato and bacon. Washed down with a tall glass of cold chocolate milk :yum: :yum:

A grilled cheese sandwich consists of American cheese between two slices of Wonderbread. You butter both sides and plop it on a griddle or skillet until the bread browns and the cheese melts.

All of the variations mentioned so far, and many others as well, probably taste much better. Probably heck, I know they do, because I get just as fancy. But, still, something goes out of the world when we mess with basic concepts.

It's like all the gourmet mac & cheese varients that have become so popular. Come on, now. There's something to be said for day-glo orange.

A grilled cheese sandwich consists of American cheese between two slices of Wonderbread. You butter both sides and plop it on a griddle or skillet until the bread browns and the cheese melts.

All of the variations mentioned so far, and many others as well, probably taste much better. Probably heck, I know they do, because I get just as fancy. But, still, something goes out of the world when we mess with basic concepts.

It's like all the gourmet mac & cheese varients that have become so popular. Come on, now. There's something to be said for day-glo orange.

I will agree with you when you show me the cow that gives orange milk.:ohmy:

I hope you don't think that Americans were the first to put cheese between bread, and cook it off.

The Grilled cheese you just described is a variation on something that has been going on for as long as there has been bread, cheese, butter and heat, I am sure.

... and don't forget that all-important cup of Campbell's cream of tomato soup on the side!

It's called comfort food, something that reminds you of Mommy warming your insides after a morning of snowball fighting, snow angels, forts and igloos, sledding, and making a snow man.

I hope you don't think that Americans were the first to put cheese between bread, and cook it off.

I'm a professional food historian, Tattrat. Do you really think I would think that?

But, if you want to get technical, yes, we are the first people to use that name for it. I specifically said "grilled cheese sandwich." Didn't say, for instance, toasted cheese, or Welsh Rarebit, or a dozen other names I could list. Even fondu is basically the same, being, simply, melted cheese on bread.

"Traditional" and "Authentic" are words we probably shouldn't use with food. Even "Original" should probably only be applied to the commercial establishment/chef/person that created a dish. What makes a family recipe more "traditional" or "authentic" than someone elses family recipe? Remember, there are as many recipes for a dish as there are ......(insert country/region) grandmothers!:rolleyes:

Craig

... and don't forget that all-important cup of Campbell's cream of tomato soup on the side!

Aye...

Aye....

I still love my bread, butter and Kraft singles for grilled cheese and a bowl of Campbell's cream of tomato on the side (and for dipping).

I love oysterette crackers floating on my tomato soup along with the grilled cheese sandwich. :yum:

Grilled Cheese in Spain is called a MIXTO

In Spain, for breakfast, many have a sandwich called a Mixto, ( Pronounced : mix toe ) which consists of BIMBO white bread packaged similar to Wonder in the USA, a slice of Boiled Ham ( York Style Ham ) and a slice of Cheddar Imported as Spain does NOT produce any orange cheeses or orange rind cheeses ... Then, it is buttered and then grilled.

For me, If I have craving for grilled cheese, I rather go to Market and go home and make it.

Back
Top Bottom