"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 03-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvmaq1 View Post
Im using a toaster oven and preheating it to 400 degrees on bake. Put the two seperate slices of bread in with a slice of cheese on each, and let them bake until the cheese melts...problem is, the cheese doesnt melt. It melts on the bottom slightly, but on top it puffs up and turns brown. Any way to make the entire slice melt?
This is cheese toast...Or am I wrong??

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I like to use white bread, swiss cheese, mushrooms and very thinly sliced onions. ( don't tell but I also put on some Miracle whip.First make your sandwich and then Butter both outsides of the bread... lay the bread on a sheet of tin foil and place in 400 degree oven. Bake until cheese is melting. Turn the broiler on if you want it toasty.

Yummy!

Old 03-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #13
Master Chef

If I'm in a rush and have several to make for the family I whip out the pancake griddle. Makes great toasted cheese sandwiches in a very short time.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Basically the method I use except I like to get the butterin' done right away. Sometimes you have to add a little more or move the sandwich around in the pan to get coated.
Onion in the middle is nice, too
sounds good. I like bacon and sometimes ham in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
If I'm in a rush and have several to make for the family I whip out the pancake griddle. Makes great toasted cheese sandwiches in a very short time.
that's a good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
I like to use white bread, swiss cheese, mushrooms and very thinly sliced onions. ( don't tell but I also put on some Miracle whip.First make your sandwich and then Butter both outsides of the bread... lay the bread on a sheet of tin foil and place in 400 degree oven. Bake until cheese is melting. Turn the broiler on if you want it toasty.

Yummy!
sounds tasty! I like to use Asagio cheese sometimes, or provolone instead of American or cheddar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I melt the butter in the pan first and flip right away to get the bread buttered on both sides. It's less time consuming than trying to butter the whole slice without tearing it, but my butter is kept in the fridge, so it's always firm.
I do that too , melt butter in the pan first.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Grilled Cheese My Way...

Two pieces of bread, Cheese in the middle, Butter the outside of both pieces of bread. Cook on a medium hot griddle, turning several times until brown as you like. A slight mash with a spaula here and there is permissible.

Enjoy! (With a dill pickle)
Next time you make them I'll be right over

kades
Old 03-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'll see you one and raise you one. I make our grilled cheese the same way Uncle Bob does, except...drum roll here...I use N.Y. Times Bread. Yumalicious!
Old 03-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I'll see you one and raise you one. I make our grilled cheese the same way Uncle Bob does, excep...drum roll here...I use N.Y. Times Bread. Yumalicious!
oh yes the ny times bread super yummy !
Old 03-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Grilled Cheese My Way...

Two pieces of bread, Cheese in the middle, Butter the outside of both pieces of bread. Cook on a medium hot griddle, turning several times until brown as you like. A slight mash with a spaula here and there is permissible.

Just like that. And if you're making it for a kid (or me), use Velveeta cheese, and serve with soup for dipping.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC!! The OP wrote of toasted cheese, not toasted cheese sandwiches which is different. He/she didn't mention sandwiching the bread slices together. Apart from the heat issue, certain cheeses don't grill well and all they do is puff up and brown so you may wish to try a different cheese, one that is less processed perhaps.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Grilled Cheese My Way...

I like to use 2 pieces of cheese with a couple of slices of vine ripe tomato in the middle! YUM!