Grilled cheese - just can't get it right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Making grilled cheese sandwiches in the toaster oven is a new one on me. Grilled cheese is just that - grilled.

I make mine in a panini grill or in a skillet stove top. If you want to make a "to die for" grilled cheese try this. Use artisan, rustic bread, sourdough, Italian or French for starters. Butter both sides. Lay sliced tomatoes on one slice, top that with a couple fresh basil leaves, then top all that with 2 slices of Havarti cheese. Top with the other bread slice and lay that in a skillet over med/low heat til browned. Turn and repeat. The Havarti melts like butter and the basil and tomato give the sandwich an awesome flavor. My grandkids think this is the best grilled cheese sandwich ever and so do I.

DQ - STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG - I'm so hungry and you're killin' me! I'm taking my pannini grill to work where the Havarti is!!!!! I've got my basil and tomatoes and bread already.

Color me happy!

I'd like to get a panini press but I really dont have the room in my kitchen for one-its really not a matter of price:wub:

I watched a Good Eats show where Alton Macguyvered himself a panini press with a skillet and a firebrick wrapped in foil & pre heated, just place on top of desired sandwhich:w00t2::w00t2:

I found space - when I'm not using it I set it on it's side so it looks like a suitcase and slide it beside my TV. :chef:

DQ - STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG - I'm so hungry and you're killin' me! I'm taking my pannini grill to work where the Havarti is!!!!! I've got my basil and tomatoes and bread already.

Color me happy!

Just wait til you take that first bite. You'll be hooked for sure!! Be sure to use a good quality Havarti, forget the low fat stuff, it won't work. And the rustic bread, (no Wonder Bread please) makes a world of difference.

Dang that sounds good. I don't have a press, but I can Macguyver one just like Alton I am sure!
Uh, yea, no Wonder bread please...

Dang that sounds good. I don't have a press, but I can Macguyver one just like Alton I am sure!
Uh, yea, no Wonder bread please...

Forget the press, all you need is a skillet with a heavy bottom. Press down on the sandwuch every once in a while with your spatula. The only thing the panini press does is give the bread ridges. Who cares?? Don't sweat it.

Does anybody use Texas Toast for their grilled cheese sammies? (Texas Toast is very thickly sliced white bread.) It's really common here, but I wondered if it is elsewhere.
I have seen that bread in the store but never tried it for anything. I may get some soon.

Take some Texas toast, brush with garlic butter on both sides and throw on the grill, best stuff around!

DQ, that is exactly how I usually do it, smooshing with the spatula as I go, but using a press doesn't just decrease your cooking time it changes the texture of the sandwich so you get a nice crispy crunchy bread soft on the inside instead of a bread smooshed down with a spatula.
A foil wrapped brick does in a pinch but use a stiffer bread or it will smoosh down as well.

Hey can we coin smoosh as an actual cooking term? I just added it to the dictionary, and hey if RR and get credit for EVOO why not? LOL.

Brushed with EVOO and then rubbed with fresh garlic after grilling is good, too, Mav.
Since I make my own bread now, I always cut "Texas style" when making garlic bread.

I use a big brick when making pressed Cubans on the grill. I wrap the sandwich.

I will have to try that, and thanks for reminding me about the Cuban I have as yet to try that too and I really really want one of em!
They have them at the Cinco De Mayo Festival here every year and they are awesome!

I think that everyone's blood sugar must be very low right now......I know that mine is just reading these posts.....I'm craving cheese like no tomorrow..........thanks for all the wonderful recipes fellow queridas quesos amores (and boy did I ever muerto that!!!)..........

Texas toast is very common in Nevada too, but I only use that for French Toast since FT is basically only bread. I don't like using it for grilled cheese because it's just too much bread and I prefer the texture of rustic, artisan bread. It grills up crunchy and that's so much of the appeal of this sandwich.

No more lurking for me...time to break out the gourmet grilled cheese!

Ingredients:

Artisan bread (I prefer the Costco Olive Oil & Rosemary bread, but preferable one with moderately thick crust and a mildly light inside)
Dubliner Cheese sliced 1/8 inch thick
Inglehoffer Stone Ground Mustard (or any good stone ground mustard)
Vine-ripened tomato sliced thinly and patted dry
Fresh basil patted dry
Butter
Roasted Garlic (if available)

Instructions:

1: Slice the bread about 1/2 inch thick or so and butter one side of each. Add Mustard to the other side of each slice (along with crushed roasted garlic, if desired)

2: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat until hot

3: place half of the slices buttered side down and add half the cheese slices.

4: Add the tomato and basil to the tops of the cheese/bread and then add the rest of the cheese and bread to complete the sandwiches while heating

5: Cook until browned on each side and the cheese is melted. Typically reduce the heat once the first side is browned.

Serve hot and enjoy! :)

EDIT: I use the Dubliner cheese now almost exclusively, as it has a fantastic flavor for an aged cheese, yet also melts consistently :D

Last edited:
Texas toast is very common in Nevada too, but I only use that for French Toast since FT is basically only bread. I don't like using it for grilled cheese because it's just too much bread and I prefer the texture of rustic, artisan bread. It grills up crunchy and that's so much of the appeal of this sandwich.

I agree. I only keep Texas toast for making French toast. I had a stray slice last night, so I used it for a grilled cheese (with Oak-smoked cheddar) but only because I did not have enough for another batch of French toast.

Is everyone forgetting how good Texas toast is when brushed with butter and garlic and grilled? Or olive oil and garlic...yum!

I am new to the board and new to NYT bread, it is good. Here is a recipe I use for company Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Med cut french bread (NYT would be great), BUTTER bread, press into butter freshly grated Parmesan cheese, Put in med high heat pan butter/cheese side down, fill with American cheese and sharp cheese, or any other good cheese that suits you, place the other piece of bread on top, grill until browned, then flip sandwich and "smash" sandwich down with spatula. (How come we don't have the drolling smillie?)

my granddaughter will not eat artisan bread and whole wheat........so I buy the white wheat that still has all the nutrients and fiber of whole wheat but it's white....so she doesn't suspect that she's getting good nutrition and then make her a very simple cheese sandwich with mayo........like most of you I only flip it once in my iron skillet.....she loves them....will even eat the crusts, too....the rest of us love it with the artisan bread........sorry to gross you out but I have to admit that I put the Kraft lite singles on mine.....I know.....gross......maybe one day I'll search for Dubliner while in the states or in the UK.....tend to go to London a few times a year for DH's job.... your samwitch sounds delicious, copper!!! In fact it's the afternoon and I'm drooling.......can pass up sweets for savories are difficult indeed

yes, Maverick, I love TX toast, unfortunately stuff like that tends to stick to my thighs...:)

I have a question for you, what kind of cheese do you use?

I remember in school we were served amazing grill cheese sandwiches. I always wanted to know how they made them :)

Back
Top Bottom