"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 06-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #71
Master Chef

I will have to try that, and thanks for reminding me about the Cuban I have as yet to try that too and I really really want one of em!
They have them at the Cinco De Mayo Festival here every year and they are awesome!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #72
Master Chef

I think that everyone's blood sugar must be very low right now......I know that mine is just reading these posts.....I'm craving cheese like no tomorrow..........thanks for all the wonderful recipes fellow queridas quesos amores (and boy did I ever muerto that!!!)..........

Old 06-18-2008, 09:24 AM   #73
Head Chef

Texas toast is very common in Nevada too, but I only use that for French Toast since FT is basically only bread. I don't like using it for grilled cheese because it's just too much bread and I prefer the texture of rustic, artisan bread. It grills up crunchy and that's so much of the appeal of this sandwich.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #74
Assistant Cook

No more lurking for me...time to break out the gourmet grilled cheese!

Ingredients:

Artisan bread (I prefer the Costco Olive Oil & Rosemary bread, but preferable one with moderately thick crust and a mildly light inside)
Dubliner Cheese sliced 1/8 inch thick
Inglehoffer Stone Ground Mustard (or any good stone ground mustard)
Vine-ripened tomato sliced thinly and patted dry
Fresh basil patted dry
Butter
Roasted Garlic (if available)

Instructions:

1: Slice the bread about 1/2 inch thick or so and butter one side of each. Add Mustard to the other side of each slice (along with crushed roasted garlic, if desired)

2: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat until hot

3: place half of the slices buttered side down and add half the cheese slices.

4: Add the tomato and basil to the tops of the cheese/bread and then add the rest of the cheese and bread to complete the sandwiches while heating

5: Cook until browned on each side and the cheese is melted. Typically reduce the heat once the first side is browned.

Serve hot and enjoy! :)

EDIT: I use the Dubliner cheese now almost exclusively, as it has a fantastic flavor for an aged cheese, yet also melts consistently :D
Old 07-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #75
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Texas toast is very common in Nevada too, but I only use that for French Toast since FT is basically only bread. I don't like using it for grilled cheese because it's just too much bread and I prefer the texture of rustic, artisan bread. It grills up crunchy and that's so much of the appeal of this sandwich.
I agree. I only keep Texas toast for making French toast. I had a stray slice last night, so I used it for a grilled cheese (with Oak-smoked cheddar) but only because I did not have enough for another batch of French toast.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #76
Master Chef

Is everyone forgetting how good Texas toast is when brushed with butter and garlic and grilled? Or olive oil and garlic...yum!
Old 08-13-2008, 04:25 AM   #77
Head Chef

I am new to the board and new to NYT bread, it is good. Here is a recipe I use for company Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Med cut french bread (NYT would be great), BUTTER bread, press into butter freshly grated Parmesan cheese, Put in med high heat pan butter/cheese side down, fill with American cheese and sharp cheese, or any other good cheese that suits you, place the other piece of bread on top, grill until browned, then flip sandwich and "smash" sandwich down with spatula. (How come we don't have the drolling smillie?)
Old 08-13-2008, 06:01 AM   #78
Master Chef

my granddaughter will not eat artisan bread and whole wheat........so I buy the white wheat that still has all the nutrients and fiber of whole wheat but it's white....so she doesn't suspect that she's getting good nutrition and then make her a very simple cheese sandwich with mayo........like most of you I only flip it once in my iron skillet.....she loves them....will even eat the crusts, too....the rest of us love it with the artisan bread........sorry to gross you out but I have to admit that I put the Kraft lite singles on mine.....I know.....gross......maybe one day I'll search for Dubliner while in the states or in the UK.....tend to go to London a few times a year for DH's job.... your samwitch sounds delicious, copper!!! In fact it's the afternoon and I'm drooling.......can pass up sweets for savories are difficult indeed

yes, Maverick, I love TX toast, unfortunately stuff like that tends to stick to my thighs...:)
Old 08-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #79
Assistant Cook

I have a question for you, what kind of cheese do you use?

I remember in school we were served amazing grill cheese sandwiches. I always wanted to know how they made them :-)