Grilled cheese - just can't get it right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to DC!! The OP wrote of toasted cheese, not toasted cheese sandwiches which is different. He/she didn't mention sandwiching the bread slices together. Apart from the heat issue, certain cheeses don't grill well and all they do is puff up and brown so you may wish to try a different cheese, one that is less processed perhaps.

I think the confusion lies with what the OP called the thread and then said they used a toaster oven to produce the end product, which was not named as grilled or toasted cheese. So, until our OP clarifies, we're just having to guess either way. Plus, sandwich is in the eye of the beholder. One of my favorites is an open-faced roast beef. The poster could, in effect, call their creation an open-faced cheese sandwich.:rolleyes:

Welcome to DC!! The OP wrote of toasted cheese, not toasted cheese sandwiches which is different. He/she didn't mention sandwiching the bread slices together. Apart from the heat issue, certain cheeses don't grill well and all they do is puff up and brown so you may wish to try a different cheese, one that is less processed perhaps.

Bilby you are absolutely correct...When I saw "Grilled Cheese" I automatically thought Grilled Cheese Sandwich...Cheese between two pieces of bread and grilled on a griddle, not cheese on top of two entirely different slices of bread (What I call Cheese Toast at my house) YT was correct in pointing out the problem by saying the oven was way to hot!!!! I aplogize for my part in misunderstanding the OP's delimma. However, how would we have ever known GB's recipe for his World Famous/Blue Ribbon Grilled Cheese sandwich!:ermm:

:LOL:

How indeed Uncle Bob!! LOL

I guess where I come from, grilled cheese is cheese grilled on toast, not a toasted cheese sandwich. But as Katie E said, until the OP comes back, if he does (!), we have three pages of debates!! LOL

:LOL: Just another example of the same words having different meanings depending on location, customs, family traditions etc. I mean everybody knows that the meal you eat at night around 5 or 6 o'clock is "Supper", but some folks still insist it is "Dinner" :ROFLMAO:

Speaking of homonyms, I remember reading an anecdote in Scouting back when I used to be involved where some uninitiated Scouts were given the task of making grilled cheese sandwiches. Much to the surprise of the storyteller, he found them dropping a slice of American cheese on the hot griddle, immediately scooping it up, and placing it on bread. Thinking more on the subject, a saganki sandwich on grilled bread might just be as awesome as I'm thinking it would be.

I don't think I've ever tried the cheese toast-style "grilled cheese" but I do like the sandwiches commonly called the same! I use Uncle Bob's method mostly but without smooshing. I tend to use shredded cheese and mix two parts co-jack with one part mozzarella. Sometimes I'll slip some mild banana pepper rings in the middle too!

Also quesadillas are a nice grilled cheese sandwich-esque food. A little oil on the comal, a couple tortillas, some cheese...the rest writes itself!

EDIT: As an added bit of coincidence, I opened this thread right in the middle of an episode of Penn and Teller: B.s.! on signs from a supernatural, postmortem location or state. Sure enough, they were talking with the lady who had the grilled cheese sandwich supposedly emblazoned with the image of Mary of Nazareth! It was almost like a sign from my laptop!

Last edited:
I expect since she said about it going Brown and bubbled that these are the Open-Top sort.
it Also depends on the Cheese too!
the "slices" such as Kraft are notorious for having that effect, try using Real cheese instead ;)

Whoa you guys don't mess around on this site, hehe. Yeah I guess I should not have used the term "grilled" cheese when what I'm doing is putting in the toaster oven. I understand the best way is to use a griddle or frying pan whatever, but for reasons that are best left unsaid :)angel:), I need to use the toaster oven.

From what I have been reading I will see what happens when I lower the temp and maybe butter the bread as well, see if the cheese melts rather than puffs up. Thanks!

BTW my toaster oven does have a broil function, should I make use of that moreso than bake for this?

:LOL: Just another example of the same words having different meanings depending on location, customs, family traditions etc. I mean everybody knows that the meal you eat at night around 5 or 6 o'clock is "Supper", but some folks still insist it is "Dinner" :ROFLMAO:
I use supper and dinner interchangeably , when I call my hubby to come to the table to eat, I say: Supper's ready! or Dinner's ready ! hmm when I think about it.. when I make something really special , it is dinner, when it is just a simple meal it is supper , to me anyway. ;)

actually, even if it Didn`t have that function, or wasn`t capable of being turned down any lower, nothing stopping you leaving the door open a little ;)

ya Gotta love Cheat-Mode!

I just made some grilled cheese, with thin slices of my artisan bread, 2 slices of asagio cheese and slice of sweet onion. I put butter in the pan, melt it, put the sandwich in it til browned on one side , flip it over, continue to cook til cheese melts.. was so good !

Grilled Cheese My Way...

Two pieces of bread, Cheese in the middle, Butter the outside of both pieces of bread. Cook on a medium hot griddle, turning several times until brown as you like. A slight mash with a spaula here and there is permissible.

Enjoy! (With a dill pickle)
That's how we make ours, too, Uncle Bob. (And at my house, mashing is required!) I didn't know there was any other way.

actually, even if it Didn`t have that function, or wasn`t capable of being turned down any lower, nothing stopping you leaving the door open a little ;)

ya Gotta love Cheat-Mode!

Actually, some toaster-ovens turn off automatically when the door is left open.

Oh, for grilled cheese(grilled on a flat top, skillet etc). Try using hot pepper cheese.... it's pretty tasty!

I make cheese bread in the toaster oven this way. Butter one side of the bread. On the buttered side, place your cheese slice (I found swiss to be flavorful and easy melting) add any other condiments before placing cheese (seasoned salt, garlic powder, mayo, mustard are a few choices not all together though!). Place on rack in toaster oven at 375 degrees. I stay and watch so it doesn't get overdone. I've never timed it. When cheese is mostly melted, switch to broiler for a short time to crisp up the top. Remove and enjoy!

However, a grilled cheese sandwich is made Uncle Bob's way. I got this recipe for Ultimate Grilled Cheese from Taste of Home I think. We use it alot.

1 8-oz pkg cream cheese
1-1/2 cup mayo
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp seasoned salt

Mix cream cheese and mayo until smooth, add remaining ingredients. Spread between 2 slices of buttered bread butter side out and grill on hot skillet/griddle until golden brown.

I've been known to sub swiss for the mozzarella and also have subbed a cheddar jack mix. I tend to cut the mayo back to 1 cup and sometimes cut back the garlic powder depending on what I'm serving with them. My guys love this! It would be good with NY times bread! I tend to use sourdough.

Im using a toaster oven and preheating it to 400 degrees on bake. Put the two seperate slices of bread in with a slice of cheese on each, and let them bake until the cheese melts...problem is, the cheese doesnt melt. It melts on the bottom slightly, but on top it puffs up and turns brown. Any way to make the entire slice melt? :wacko:

Uncle Bob describes how a TRUE grilled cheese sandwich is made. It needs to be grilled on a griddle or in a frying pan to be a real grilled cheese sandwich.

That said, if you want to do it in the toaster oven, do it just like you have been, only put the setting on TOAST, not BAKE, and push the toaster button. Then the top heating element will melt the cheese and the bottom element will toast the bottom side of the bread. Once that's done, either eat the two pieces open faced, or put the two cheese side halves together to form a sandwich, and slap some butter on one, or both, sides.

I've never used the broiler at all because I always did my GC in a pan, with butter, on the stove top. As for the cheese i always use velveeta sometimes with a little sharp cheddar I did try all cheddar once but it doesnt melt that well:mad::sick:

I have never made grilled cheese other than on the stovetop. Here is the method I currently use:
  • Butter both sides of the bread
  • Grill all of the bread on one side
  • Assemble the sandwiches with the grilled side in
  • Grill the sandwiches on both sides
And why would you want to mash your grilled cheese?

Everyone always tells me I make the best grilled cheese sandwiches, and I always thought there was nothing to it.
Butter bread on one side and lay buttered side down in a SKILLET. Lay on cheese. Turn skillet on med/high. Butter other piece of bread on one side and lay on top of cheese, buttered side up.
When bottom is toasted, flip sandwich and reduce heat to medium.
When that side is toasted, remove from skillet and serve.

That's it.

Back
Top Bottom