Grilled cheese - just can't get it right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcvmaq1

Assistant Cook
Im using a toaster oven and preheating it to 400 degrees on bake. Put the two seperate slices of bread in with a slice of cheese on each, and let them bake until the cheese melts...problem is, the cheese doesnt melt. It melts on the bottom slightly, but on top it puffs up and turns brown. Any way to make the entire slice melt? :wacko:

The only way I've gotten cheese to melt in a toaster oven with little problems...., is to use foil. As in making a hot ham and cheese sandwich. Make the sandwich, then wrap it up in foil to bake. It takes a bit of finesse to keep the bread from burning because it's so close to the hot coils, but it can be done.

That said..... no stove and fry pan?
This is the first I've heard of anyone making a grilled cheese sandwich in a toaster oven. I'll be interested to see what others say.

And welcome! And thanks for the interesting post.

the temp is way too High!!!! 400 degrees will melt Lead!
try turning it down and leaving it a little longer ;)

Last edited:
I tend to use a grill (broiler to those the orther side on the pond) for cheese on toast and use a toasted sandwich maker for toasted cheese sandwiches.

Grilled Cheese My Way...

Two pieces of bread, Cheese in the middle, Butter the outside of both pieces of bread. Cook on a medium hot griddle, turning several times until brown as you like. A slight mash with a spaula here and there is permissible.

Enjoy! (With a dill pickle)

I melt the butter in the pan first and flip right away to get the bread buttered on both sides. It's less time consuming than trying to butter the whole slice without tearing it, but my butter is kept in the fridge, so it's always firm.

After years in Grateful Dead and Phish parking lots (fans will know what I am talking about) I can proclaim I am a grilled cheese expert.

Here is how I do it and if I do say so myself, these are perfection.

Take two pieces of bread. Please a piece of cheese in the middle and sprinkle with garlic powder. Melt some butter in a pan and put the sandwich in. Heat should be med-med high. Once it is browned on the first side remove from the pan and add another pat of butter. Place the sandwich back in to brown the second side, which will go much faster than the first.

If you are feeling fancy you can add a thin slice of tomato and some basil if you like.

The problem is you are making cheese "toast" versus grilled cheese. Grilled cheese is just that - grilled. YT has it right though - turn it down. You will get a melted cheese sandwich but it still won't be grilled. Does your toaster oven have a broiler setting? I've never owned a toaster oven so I don't know if that was a silly question. If it does then start out like you are going to grill it - butter the sides then stick under the broiler - still at a distance so it melts the cheese inside and lightly browns the bread. Turn over and do it again.

After years in Grateful Dead and Phish parking lots (fans will know what I am talking about) I can proclaim I am a grilled cheese expert.

Here is how I do it and if I do say so myself, these are perfection.

Take two pieces of bread. Please a piece of cheese in the middle and sprinkle with garlic powder. Melt some butter in a pan and put the sandwich in. Heat should be med-med high. Once it is browned on the first side remove from the pan and add another pat of butter. Place the sandwich back in to brown the second side, which will go much faster than the first.

If you are feeling fancy you can add a thin slice of tomato and some basil if you like.

Basically the method I use except I like to get the butterin' done right away. Sometimes you have to add a little more or move the sandwich around in the pan to get coated.
Onion in the middle is nice, too :)

Im using a toaster oven and preheating it to 400 degrees on bake. Put the two seperate slices of bread in with a slice of cheese on each, and let them bake until the cheese melts...problem is, the cheese doesnt melt. It melts on the bottom slightly, but on top it puffs up and turns brown. Any way to make the entire slice melt? :wacko:

This is cheese toast...Or am I wrong??

I like to use white bread, swiss cheese, mushrooms and very thinly sliced onions. ( don't tell but I also put on some Miracle whip.First make your sandwich and then Butter both outsides of the bread... lay the bread on a sheet of tin foil and place in 400 degree oven. Bake until cheese is melting. Turn the broiler on if you want it toasty.

Yummy!

Basically the method I use except I like to get the butterin' done right away. Sometimes you have to add a little more or move the sandwich around in the pan to get coated.
Onion in the middle is nice, too :)
sounds good. I like bacon and sometimes ham in the middle.

If I'm in a rush and have several to make for the family I whip out the pancake griddle. Makes great toasted cheese sandwiches in a very short time.
that's a good idea!

I like to use white bread, swiss cheese, mushrooms and very thinly sliced onions. ( don't tell but I also put on some Miracle whip.First make your sandwich and then Butter both outsides of the bread... lay the bread on a sheet of tin foil and place in 400 degree oven. Bake until cheese is melting. Turn the broiler on if you want it toasty.

Yummy!
sounds tasty! I like to use Asagio cheese sometimes, or provolone instead of American or cheddar.

I melt the butter in the pan first and flip right away to get the bread buttered on both sides. It's less time consuming than trying to butter the whole slice without tearing it, but my butter is kept in the fridge, so it's always firm.
I do that too , melt butter in the pan first. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Grilled Cheese My Way...

Two pieces of bread, Cheese in the middle, Butter the outside of both pieces of bread. Cook on a medium hot griddle, turning several times until brown as you like. A slight mash with a spaula here and there is permissible.

Next time you make them I'll be right over:LOL:

kades

Grilled Cheese My Way...

Just like that. And if you're making it for a kid (or me), use Velveeta cheese, and serve with soup for dipping.

Welcome to DC!! The OP wrote of toasted cheese, not toasted cheese sandwiches which is different. He/she didn't mention sandwiching the bread slices together. Apart from the heat issue, certain cheeses don't grill well and all they do is puff up and brown so you may wish to try a different cheese, one that is less processed perhaps.

Grilled Cheese My Way...

I like to use 2 pieces of cheese with a couple of slices of vine ripe tomato in the middle! YUM!

Back
Top Bottom