Grilled Cheese Sandwiches on hamburger buns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottsdale

Assistant Cook
I read about someone making cheeseburgers using two grilled cheese sandwiches instead of a bun. Needless to say, I've been totally preoccupied by the thought, and this weekend I'm going to make it happen.

Has anyone ever tried this, do you have any counsel?

I'm worried that it will be too thick. Also, I've never made a square hamburger patty. I know I shouldn't be freaked out just because it's new, but I was thinking I might make a meatloaf and do grilled-cheese-meatloaf sandwiches instead.

There is a product (new to me) that I bought a couple of weeks ago that I think is made by Cobblestone Bakeries - the bread is round with tiny holes punched and a bit like an English muffin except no cornmeal. I've used them to make hamburgers since we don't need lots of bread on ours. I think there were about 10 servings for $2.99. I'll get them again.

If you buttered and grilled hamburger buns then added the cheese onto the burger, I don't think there would be much of a difference in taste.

Of course, if you chose to make the grilled cheese sandwiches with different, more flavorful breads, it might be worth the effort.

I read about someone making cheeseburgers using two grilled cheese sandwiches instead of a bun.

I think that is called a Fatty Melt :pig:. I've never cooked or had one, but I would try it. One never knows..........:-p

Fatty Melt, I love it.

I can report that version 1.0 was pretty much a disaster. I took Uncle Bob's advice and made a burger instead of a meatloaf. There were two big problems:

1. I used this Country Potato bread, which just happened to be the bread I have open right now. It wasn't nearly strong enough to hold up to the rigors of the Fatty Melt. Even though I cut it in half, by the end I was holding something like a meatball covered in cheese covered in bread. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

2. It was entirely too big. Four slices of bread, a copious amount of cheese, and a burger big enough for sandwich bread. I'll admit to eating the whole thing, but I kind of wish I hadn't.

I'm not daunted. I'm a single guy with no weekend plans and 5 pounds of hamburger meat. So I'm thinking of improvements.

1. Using those baby loaves of bread so the portion size is more manageable. I don't know what they're called. You usually see them in rye or pumpernickel, but that sounds too strong. I'll see what I can find.

2. Making two different kinds of grilled cheese. I'm thinking the top half can be blue cheese while the bottom is American.

I'm totally open to suggestions for making this better.

Now, I understand your post. You literally used TWO grilled cheese sandwiches? Yeah, that would be a BIG sandwich, especially with a hamburger patty or a slab of meatloaf. Geez, I wouldn't eat for a few days, if I managed to consume the whole thing.

You could have left out a slice of bread and quartered the sandwich..... add bacon... sort of like a club sandwich.

I have thought of using Texas toast bread to do something similiar (but not using 4 slices of bread).... That would sort of be a patty melt. I also think that bread could make a good panini.... didn't mean to get off-topic.

Grilled cheese & meatloaf sandwiches are great. I use a sturdy bread (Tuscan loaf). Grill it a bit, add your cheese ( I like American, Provolone, or Manchego)then cut your meatloaf to fit the size of the bread. For a great straight grilled cheese, try using Fontina on olive bread. Or Brie with some sun dried tomato pesto. The possibilities are endless. (Can you tell we love our cheese?) :)

The secret to the fatty melt is to start with two very thin grilled cheese sandwiches to start and only to add the patty when it has cooled down a bit and is not greasy.

Try plain white bread, like webers, and one slice of american, swiss, or pepperjack. If you're grilling it in a pan put a sheet of foil on top of the sandwich and press down using another pan or a heavy pot. repeat on the opposite side of the sandwich.

From here, I don't add much, a little mustard and a thinly shaped, slightly cooled, and not greasy hamburger patty, press down again...eat. eat. eat.

I have also seen the "club" idea before. Not to be taken lightly. This thing is BUSINESS. For that guy, there are three grilled cheese sandwiches as buns and each sandwich has two slices of bacon grilled right in with the cheese.Between each sandwich is a big ol patty. Hardcore....I'd eat it. If noone was looking...judging me...

The website "this is why you're fat" .com also has many variations for you to study. Again, please let us know if you try again!...pictures?

This sounded interesting, so I gave it a shot. I made the grilled cheese in my panini press out of commercial Texas toast. I know from experience that it will turn out thin-as-a-pancake.

Attachments

• Photo_051809_001.jpg
    Photo_051809_001.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 234
Looks Great! That must have been a lot of pressing. I have never seen such skinny Texas toast in my life.

My goodness, this thread made me laugh my a%# off.

"I think that is called a Fatty Melt"

"I'm not daunted. I'm a single guy with no weekend plans and 5 pounds of hamburger meat. So I'm thinking of improvements."

"I'm totally open to suggestions for making this better...Add some bacon."

Ahh...The delights of DC.

Looks Great! That must have been a lot of pressing. I have never seen such skinny Texas toast in my life.

I like to save time in the morning by making French Toast in my panini press, and I learned not to try it with Texas toast. While it is thick to start with, it is also very soft. I think if you left it out on the counter over night, it would collapse under its own weight.

My goodness, this thread made me laugh my a%# off.

"I think that is called a Fatty Melt"

"I'm not daunted. I'm a single guy with no weekend plans and 5 pounds of hamburger meat. So I'm thinking of improvements."

"I'm totally open to suggestions for making this better...Add some bacon."

Ahh...The delights of DC.

Right? If I tried having this conversations with people I know in RL they'd either be disgusted or laugh and walk away. :LOL:

the add bacon part is my favorite too.

This sounded interesting, so I gave it a shot. I made the grilled cheese in my panini press out of commercial Texas toast. I know from experience that it will turn out thin-as-a-pancake.

but...but....you left out the part where you tell us how good it was????!!!

but...but....you left out the part where you tell us how good it was????!!!

Sorry about that...seems like I overlooked the obvious.

It was really good. The mayo kept the bread from getting soggy. That's a trick I just picked up recently that I'll have to remember. I should have used more cheese (but isn't that always the case ;)). I cooked the grilled cheese at too low of a temperature; by the time the bread was done, the cheese was melting out the sides.

Back
Top Bottom