"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 03-15-2006, 08:26 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Thanks Constance!
Yes I think homemade burgers are better as you can control the fat content in your meat.We use venison or buffalo for our burgers so that is not a problem but then I feel justified to add more cheese.Im a bad girl!The frozen fries you buy at the store are loaded with trans fats.So I now for the most part I make oven roasted potatoes made with olive oil actually they taste better anyway.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:37 PM   #12
Master Chef

It's not only the fat content...it's the fact that it's fresh and correctly prepared.
We have a little "blue plate special" type place here in town that has burgers are pretty durned good.. Contents are good, farm fresh ground beef, salt and pepper, and grilled onions, cheese, and/or bacon if you want them.

Nothing like mine, of course.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:24 AM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
There's nothing wrong with indulging yourself every now and again. My family has a long history of weight problems, so I have to keep myself to a very healthy diet. I stay away from fatty foods in general, and if I do have fatty foods I make sure not to consume any processed carbs with it... or usually in the same day.

Of course if you ate like this every day then you really would be in trouble.

Oh and regarding eggs, i read somewhere that the long-standing myths about eggs being a big source of unhealthy cholesterols was proven false. Wish I remembered where, so I could give a link.

Personally, I try to stay on a loose atkins diet. And as long as I stay true to it it works for me.

I think the weight problems faced by many of us in the states has more to do with the quantity of food we consume rather than types of food we eat. In the end it usually does break down to simple calorie math.