Help Needed On Patty Melt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elf

Senior Cook
Is there a basic recipe for a Paddy Melt? I have looked Goggled Paddy Melt and the recipes seem to go in all different direction, depending on your mood. I just want the basic recipe to start from. Thanks

This is how we make ours ...

Divide 1 lb hamburger (ground chuck for us) into 4 patties ... fry till desired doneness and set aside.

In the same skillet, saute 1 large onion, sliced thinly into rings, until nicely brown and sweet. How long you saute your onions depends wholey on how much time you have ... just get them soft if that's all the time you have. I get them really caramel'ly if I have the time. Remove onions from pan when done.

Butter the outsides of 8 slices of marble rye, place one patty, a pile of onions and slice of swiss cheese between 2 slices and fry / grill (in the same pany you've done everything else) like you would a grilled cheese sandwich.

Remove and enjoy when the bread is toasted to your liking.

I tend to use the same pan for everything because, IMHO, you get a better flavor from everything cooking together. Also, I'm not sure if cheese is traditional in a patty melt so you can leave that out if you want. Also, if you don't have marble rye, we've been known to use whatever is in the drawer ... white, caraway (spelling?), etc...

Good Luck!

Exactly like JMediger says. And I think you must

have rye bread. Something about the way it crisps.

I thought it was a Patty Melt. We used to go to the fuss of grilling but with calories the way they are these days, we just toast the rye bread. Add the hot meat slice and cover with a slice of cheese. We put it in the microwave for 30 seconds on medium. I think the onions make it more a philly.
I prefer the light seedless rye with a mild flavor so if you do add onions then you might have to go with a dark rye bread.

Another good one is grill your burger and onions slices, when you top w/swiss cheese but your rye hamburger buns on the grill to toast. We love em' !

StirBlue It appears that it is spelled both ways, I just goggled both ways and got many different hits. Thanks gang for all the help, it appears that rye bread is one of the very basic ingredients

Back
Top Bottom