Hot Dog Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Jamaican jerk dogs tasted mighty good!
Next time I reckon I will use a regular bun. The pita bread was fine but the dogs kinda got lost in the hole.
I ain't got a real camera. Just the one on my phone.
Here are a couple of pics.

16629-albums905-picture4952.jpg

16629-albums905-picture4953.jpg

I'ld make my own: Grind up pork belly, mixed with some brisket, add into the mix, ginger, a little anise, some coriander. . . natural casing. Star cut the ends, char grill(star cut ends will give a crispy "burnt bit at the start and finish). Serve on a butter toasted hawaiian Style sweet bread roll. As condiments: Maybe some Wasabi Aioil, or some Siracha. As a topping, Green onions, grilled Kim Chi, and crispy fried won-ton strips. . . or. Cabbage slaw with Mirin, soy, Sesame, Brown Sugar, carrots, and daikon?

I also think something like a Good ole, Pork and Beef dog, with ground mustard seed, sugar, a little rye, and in some sort of pretzel style roll, with spicy mustard, demi infused kraut, pickled beets for crunch, and a little aioli would be nice.

A Lamb dog, with with Cucumber Mint salsa, yogurt sauce, fried onions, a little sumac, and crumbled Feta in a Pita Pocket? Maybe some Pepperoncini too?

Just take a nice, Proper dog, like a Nathans, or boars head, wrap in bacon, deep fry(like a ripper), and a good ole potato hot fog bun, with avocado ranch, bibb lettuce, slices of avocado, Frenchs Fried Onions, and tomato slices for a "upscale" BLT dog.

Those all sound great. I do Kim Chi fried rice with chopped hot dogs on a banh mi type roll with sriracha/mayo(or sour cream), cilantro, scallions and avocado

Maybe the next challenge should be a poutine challenge <g>.

As great as that sounds, it's almost too easy. If you can enjoy something. . them you sure as heck can enjoy it on a base of fries, and smothered in gravy!

Hell, You can boil my boot, put it on fries, smother in gravy, top with curds, and I would dig in!

As great as that sounds, it's almost too easy. If you can enjoy something. . them you sure as heck can enjoy it on a base of fries, and smothered in gravy!

Hell, You can boil my boot, put it on fries, smother in gravy, top with curds, and I would dig in!
I'd say hot dogs are too easy. Come on, a 6-yr. old can cook a hot dog.:) But to-die-for poutine, that is a well-guarded secret and not easy to do.

I have been following this thread casually. I have to say while some of these creations look delicious, I'm not sure how much the hot dog contributes to the dish.

For me hot dogs carry a heavy nostalgia role so I stick to traditional toppings. I know, I'm just an old stick in the mud. You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.

I have been following this thread casually. I have to say while some of these creations look delicious, I'm not sure how much the hot dog contributes to the dish.

For me hot dogs carry a heavy nostalgia role so I stick to traditional toppings. I know, I'm just an old stick in the mud. You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.

To each his own. The purpose of the thread was a hot dog challenge. I am pleased to see the creativity & time spent from the chefs and cooks sharing new ideas. Thanks, Chief.

Last edited:
The Jamaican jerk dogs tasted mighty good!
Next time I reckon I will use a regular bun. The pita bread was fine but the dogs kinda got lost in the hole.
I ain't got a real camera. Just the one on my phone.
Here are a couple of pics.

16629-albums905-picture4952.jpg

16629-albums905-picture4953.jpg

Looks great, Hoot!!! Can you share your recipe? TIA

My point wasn't that this thread was inappropriate. It was that the things you add to the main ingredient should enhance the food, not completely mask its presence.

Certainly not criticizing Chief Longwind, he's one of the most creative people around here.

Looks great, Hoot!!! Can you share your recipe? TIA

Thanks! I appreciate that.
I didn't do anything fancy.
I made a batch of marinade using 3 tbsp McCormick jerk seasoning mix with the addition of some extra allspice and a couple teaspoons of sugar. Add 3 tbsp oil, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp cider vinegar. Stir it up good and pour in a large zip lock bag. Throw in some dogs that have been split lengthwise. (I also threw some chicken thighs in the bag too)
Let it sit in the fridge 4 or five hours.
Grill the dogs. Use your choice of buns..
Garnish with peach mango salsa (store brand) that has a good squirt or two of sriracha mixed in it, sliced roasted jalapeño and chopped scallion.
It turned out good. Mrs Hoot even liked it and she is skittish of anything Jamaican since she found out they eat goat. :LOL:

My point wasn't that this thread was inappropriate. It was that the things you add to the main ingredient should enhance the food, not completely mask its presence.

Certainly not criticizing Chief Longwind, he's one of the most creative people around here.
I totally agree--the base ingredient should be enhanced, not masked. Hotdogs are, IMO, not something I want to eat. Iate them when I was a poor grad student. I had a friend who lived on hotdogs and died of cancer. I've always wondered if his hotdog consumption didn't contribute to him getting cancer at the age of 22 and dieing. Hot dogs bring sad memories to my mind. Although the creativity re: dealing with them was very impressive and I don't mean this to be negative. Corn dogs are another thing I can't get my head around (or get past my lips). I've never had a corn dog...

Last edited:
I totally agree--the base ingredient should be enhanced, not masked. Hotdogs are, IMO, not something I want to eat. Iate them when I was a poor grad student. I had a friend who lived on hotdogs and died of cancer. I've always wondered if his hotdog consumption didn't contribute to him getting cancer at the age of 22 and dieing. Hot dogs bring sad memories to my mind. Although the creativity re: dealing with them was very impressive and I don't mean this to be negative. Corn dogs are another thing I can't get my head around (or get past my lips). I've never had a corn dog...
I tried my first corn dog at Kings Domion 2 years ago. One bite, One chew and it got spit out and the rest got trashed. YUK!!

Hot dogs were one of the things I grew up with. My Dad was divorced and I spent my weekends with him. Often, he'd break out a cold hot dog for him and me, and we'd eat them that way, cold, straight from the fridge. It's a comforting memory for me. We also ate cheese the same way, and pepperoni, and a host of other things. Hot dogs were also cooked in with a can of VanCamp's pork and beans, not cut up but whole. The hot dogs heated with the beans and were served up in Fire King soup bowls, the cream colored ones with the handle. I have purchased some of those bowls from Ebay, and use them for the same purpose, and others. But when I'm making beans and wieners, I make them the way my Dad did. It's a thing to bring back some of the happy little things I did with my Dad.

There are far better hot dogs available than what is found on the grocery store shelves. If you have a nearby butcher, often, they will have their own recipe for hot dogs. I have brands of the little sausages that I won't touch, and brands that I love, that I can't find anywhere else but where I live.

The original post I made, and the recipe I gave was one that was supposed to elevate the humble hot dog. The ingredients truly did enhance the hot dog, not mask it.

Andy, here's a way, if you are a true hot dog purist, to enjoy the sausage, but with a little playfulness. One of my favorite ways to eat a hot dog, is to take a cold, skinless hot dog, and gently grab the "skin" at one end, with my teeth, and peel it down and munch just that part. Then, I eat the rest of the dog. I know, I'm strange, but again, it's something I did as a kid, while watching the TV at night, after a hard day's playing was done. It was a way to engage a young mind that was ever anxious to play, and to try different things, even if it was as simple as peeling a skinless frank with my teeth. Sometimes I almost think that I invented "playing with your food", which was something strictly forbidden at my Mom's house. There, we ate with our left hands in out laps, at the dinner table, and all of us together, sharing the meal. My Mom's house probably had healthier food, with lots of good veggies, the right sized servings, courtesy, and variety. So I grew up in two worlds, one very laidback, with boiled dinner, hot dogs, Chef Boyardee pizzas, fried steaks, and pork chops, lots of freshly caught brook trout, etc. The other was full of traditional meals with veggies, meat, chili, sphagetti, the occasional pasty or meat pie, winter squashes, etc.

Both had an influence on me, and gave me a huge love for variety, and no snootiness about food. I'm as happy with potted meat sandwiches as I am with a good, medium rare rib eye. So long as it tastes good, and is eaten in moderation, it can go on my plate. From my Grandparents, I was exposed to head cheese, sardines, pickled pigs feet, and other strange foods that I also loved. You can imagine what kinds of things I have tried as an adult, when I moved out on my own (at about 19 years old). I tried everything, and have found very few things that I don't like.

So, open your minds and stomachs, and give the humble weiner a chance. Dress it, or eat it plain. Just don't eat them every day. Treat all food like it is a blessing, because it is. Many people including people who have the opportunity and means, never get beyond a McDonald's burger and fries. To me, that's so very sad.

Those of you who have posted new ways to put together a hot dog sandwich, thank you. It gives me new things to try. To those who like their hot dogs ultra simple, for the love of the wiener, my hat's off to you as well. We are all so different in so many ways. There is truly no wrong way to eat a hot dog, if you like hot dogs.

This forum is to share cooking and eating experiences, to try new things, to offer advice, or receive it, and to enjoy a comraderie and respect for each other. It is a place to discuss all things culinary, and more.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
The most creative I get with a hotdog is putting tomatoes on as a topping. I like everyone's ideas though!

As for the corndogs, yuck.. I think they are way too sweet and as any good WV resident knows, cornbread shouldn't have sugar!

...As for the corndogs, yuck.. I think they are way too sweet and as any good WV resident knows, cornbread shouldn't have sugar!

Unless your making blueberry cornbread muffins, topped with a bit of honey.:yum:

And yeh, I like both savory and sweet cornbread. But as everyone knows, I like everything.;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

agreed. the corn in corn doggies should be savory. maybe even spicy, like jalapeno cornbread.

yum, that's another idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom