How do you make an edible potted meat sandwich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have a problem with eating the 'innards'. Menudo is one of my favorites and I would make it more often if it wern't for the fact I would be the only one eating it. Store bought chorizo has a lot of mystery ingredients, I still eat it once in awhile, but make my own more often. Minus the beef lips!

Dang........now I'm hungry.
Potted meat is one of the many things I grew up eating.
There is another thing I miss alot...Georgia Hash.
Menudo is GREAT!!! I wish it came in smaller cans around here as I am the only one that will eat it. Mrs Hoot ain't got much use for innards.

img_843696_0_ad56460ee82c691ef40e9db5717e942c.jpg

img_843696_1_c14899cdc284f0af56338e817f01d2aa.jpg
this thread is disgusting!!

"If it says Libby's Libby's Libby's
on the label label label...

You will like it like it like it
On your table table table!!"

A picture is a thousand words or so they say, take any number of caned foods and just plop them on a paper plate and they are a real turn off. Take spaghetti-o, open a can and pour some on a paper plate, one look and you would never give them a second chance. Heat them up and served them in a bowl and what a difference. Not that I would eat them in the first place, just don't like them. You take potted meat spread them on a cracker with a piece of cheese, then arrange them on a platter, they look totally different and editable. Another example is canned corn beef, just dumped on a plate it looks like dog food, made into paddies and fried with eggs in the morning now that is an entirely different story.

No, not really. Spaghetti-os suck, and no matter how you present them, they still suck. Canned corned beef sucks, no matter how you present it. I recall sitting down in a redneck diner in south central VA, excited by the idea that this hole-in-the-wall was serving Ruebens - until my sandwich arrived, and it was canned corned beef.

You're using really, really bad examples to support your point here.

I don't have a problem with eating the 'innards'. Menudo is one of my favorites and I would make it more often if it wern't for the fact I would be the only one eating it. Store bought chorizo has a lot of mystery ingredients, I still eat it once in awhile, but make my own more often. Minus the beef lips!

I don't mind the fact that chorizo (which is, after all, a sausage) contains (clearly listed on the package) various "un-couth" parts. I eat scrapple, and enjoy the hell out of it.

Potted meat is a whole other level - it's like it's made of everything not fit to be used in any other form. It's made of stuff the manufacturer doesn't think is good enough for even hot dogs... And yes, it tastes exactly like it sounds. A whole lot of cheap seasoning and some vague meat taste. And the texture? Perfectly captured by the picture in this thread. There are brands of cat food that look and smell more appetizing than potted meat. Though I've not tasted them, I'll wager they probably taste better as well...

That said, I'd love to see FN go way out on a limb and have potted meat be the secret ingredient in an Iron Chef competition, just to see what the hell these guys would do with it...

I don't mind the fact that chorizo (which is, after all, a sausage) contains (clearly listed on the package) various "un-couth" parts. I eat scrapple, and enjoy the hell out of it.

Potted meat is a whole other level - it's like it's made of everything not fit to be used in any other form. It's made of stuff the manufacturer doesn't think is good enough for even hot dogs... And yes, it tastes exactly like it sounds. A whole lot of cheap seasoning and some vague meat taste. And the texture? Perfectly captured by the picture in this thread. There are brands of cat food that look and smell more appetizing than potted meat. Though I've not tasted them, I'll wager they probably taste better as well...

That said, I'd love to see FN go way out on a limb and have potted meat be the secret ingredient in an Iron Chef competition, just to see what the hell these guys would do with it...

All I can say is - WOW! When you don't like something, you make no bones about it. I can understand that. I can't stand the flavor of mint, any mint. It makes me want to hurl. That's just the way my taste buds react to it. But, I would never tell anyone that it's just not fit to eat, or denegrate someone else's opinion of mint. To each his own. If I can doctor it and make something that tastes good to me out of potted meat, then others shouldn't try to tell me that my tastes or choices are disgusting. You can say, and I would support you completely in saying it, that you detest the look, flavor, and texture of potted meat. That's Ok.

My original question wasn't - do you think potted meat is disgusting, and why? It was - how do you make an edible potted meat sandwich?; or something to that effect.

We all have likes and dislikes, and except where we know that using something is dangerous, (and I know that there will be some here that will say potted meat is dangerous;)) we have no right to force our opinions on others. We can state our opinions, but need to qualify them as our opinions.

Remember always, one person's trash is another's treasure.

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I eat Spam. I eat a lot of things that some people turn their noses up at. I grew up poor. There were never leftovers. Every bone was white when it left the table. I never liked the deviled ham or cocktail weinies but we ate them if we had to.

The one can we never opened again was "Treet", we prefered to be hungry after one trial.

A spam monti cristo is particularly tasty.

Kudos to Goodweed of the North & a BIG shame on most of the rest of you.

Pull up your little panties & grow up - particularly re: your tolerance levels. Nothing at all wrong with "potted meat", "hot dogs", canned "corned beef hash", OR "Spam". Particularly since the vast majority of you truly don't have an honest clue what these items really do consist of - certainly not the gruesome pictures you want to paint just to get some attention here.

If you don't care for these items, that's fine. But there's absolutely no reason on the planet to condemn the taste of others.

Breezy, I think you are being a bit harsh. Shame on the rest of you? Most people here were just stating their opinions. Why should that be shameful? It should not and is not.

Now, now GB. You're seriously MISQUOTING me here. I said: "shame on MOST of the rest of you". BIG difference. And I'm sure those "most" know who they are. I'm talking about the ones who equate potted &/or canned meat products with vomit on a plate.

Somehow it's more acceptable to come down on fellow forum members than it is to come down on canned food?

That seems backwards to me. :ermm:

Now, now GB. You're seriously MISQUOTING me here. I said: "shame on MOST of the rest of you". BIG difference. And I'm sure those "most" know who they are. I'm talking about the ones who equate potted &/or canned meat products with vomit on a plate.
You are right. I misread what you wrote. My apologies for that. I still think you are being unreasonably harsh though. Even though puke on a plate is a disgusting thing, it is still that persons opinion and each of us are entitled to that.

Potted meat - canned meat, whatever you want to call it, is just TOO EASY not to poke fun at!! :ROFLMAO:

Everyone is allowed an opinion,if it is stated in respectful terms..I've been reading this thread and I've as a kid eaten spam, gram use to fry it,slap it on buttered ir mayo'd white bread and that and a glass of milk was lunch..Deviled ham, my mom loved the stuff. I tried to avoid it especially when she added sweet pickles to it..My sister would take a spoon and eat it straigt from the can, if she could. At last I grew up and could do for my self and those thing were not in my list of foods to eat. But it never bothered me if someone else wanted them. We are allowed to eat what we like and need not be shamed if we eat spam or potted meat. My feelings like it, eat it and enjoy.
When my grand babies came along their mom whined that they couldne't get them to eat the baby meats as they got older..One daughter brought you know what..The kids would not eat deviled ham..Someone here started a thread about fussy eaters..I got an idea and bought some boiled ham, thin sliced, put it and a little mayo in the f/p and whizzed it up, made tiny sammies, added small carrots and apple or pears to the plate and we were in business, so I did this with left over chicken, adding celery and a tiny bit of onion, roast beef any type meat that would break up and get nice and smooth..I turned lunch into a meal and had the kids eating meat! you do not have to eat potted meat if it is not for you, a few minutes with your f/p and you have some good edible potted meat and you know what you put in it.
kadesma;)

Just to scare my kids.

I once opened a can of Spam.

Pulled the hunk of meat from the can.

And ate it like an apple.

Making sure to get the jelly all over my face.

They screamed and ran away.

My father laughed until he cried.

Kudos to Goodweed of the North & a BIG shame on most of the rest of you.

Pull up your little panties & grow up - particularly re: your tolerance levels. Nothing at all wrong with "potted meat", "hot dogs", canned "corned beef hash", OR "Spam". Particularly since the vast majority of you truly don't have an honest clue what these items really do consist of - certainly not the gruesome pictures you want to paint just to get some attention here.

If you don't care for these items, that's fine. But there's absolutely no reason on the planet to condemn the taste of others.

Well, I'm sorry to both you and Goodweed that my position on this matter offended you.

Doesn't change my position, and I find it a bit judgemental of you to tell me that I "don't have an honest clue" what these items really do consist of.

I suggest you hit Wikipedia and read exactly what "mechanically separated meat" really is.

And my position on what comes in a can of potted meat is based on sound logic: If Libby, Armour, and the other peddlers of that stuff had anything more profitable they could use that meat for, they would - because it's sound business sense. But they can't, because people who buy other meat products from them (like Armour hot dogs, canned ham, Spam (by another name), and pre-sliced lunch meat, for example) would not tolerate such poor-quality in those products. So, in order to put what would be considered by most to be pet food grade meat products to use, they created Potted Meat. Literally, this is all the animal protein for which they could find no better use.

That's not opinion, that's the reality of what they're selling you. If you like it, more power to you. But you liking it doesn't change what it is.

And, again, I'm not skeeved out about eating organ meat. I'm not particularly fond of the texture of liver, so I pass on it most of the time. Brains and sweetbreads are delicacies I partake in very occasionally. Tripe, cooked properly, I enjoy. I've even had Haagis, and didn't mind it, although I can't say I'd put it in regular rotation in my diet.

Potted meat is a whole other level in serving an animal product that probably shouldn't have been served. Canned Vienna sausages are in a similar category, because they are made of the same stuff. Potted meat is someone getting the bright idea to extract that last bit of spinal cord from the pig's backbone, and that last bit of skin from the chicken's foot, and making a canned meat product out of it, rather than letting it be shipped off to the dog food factory the way it once was.

That's not opinion. That's what "mechanically separated meat" is.

"Potted meat is someone getting the bright idea to extract that last bit of spinal cord from the pig's backbone, and that last bit of skin from the chicken's foot, and making a canned meat product out of it, rather than letting it be shipped off to the dog food factory the way it once was."

Why waste food if something can be made from it? Sure it's cheap, but it is protein. It may be the kind of thing you personally don't want to eat, but you can't deny that it is food.

If you're lucky enough to have money, then you are not in the position of being forced to eat it.

Back
Top Bottom