"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #61
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss View Post
If you're lucky enough to have money, then you are not in the position of being forced to eat it.
There are better choices for food than Potted Meat for one who doesn't have money for better quality meat products. I've been in that spot myself a few times.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #62
Master Chef

tuna & salmon are packaged in cans & they taste fine.
& i also like potted meat with saltines instead of bread.
i have great foods at my disposal. right now we're in charcuterie & making all kinds of pureed meat products. they're great!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #63
Assistant Cook

Potted Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
How do you make an edible potted meat sandwich?

Without the potted meat
Grind your Cooked Roast Beef, grind an onion (use an amount as not to overpower the Beef) Stir in Mayo to a spreading consistency.
2 c. roast beef
1/2 c onion
Mayo to spread well
a few dashes of Frank's Red Hot Sauce
Good on bread as a sandwich or on a slice of toast
Old 08-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #64
Master Chef

Mechanically Seperated chicken:

Take a look at these sites to get more info, and remember, Wikepedia isn't the most trustworthy source, though it is very popular.

Mechanically separated chicken for food-Truth!

Potted Meat Food Products

And I don't mind that you find it groww and disgusting stuff. You aren't insulting me a bit. I just ask that you qualify that as your opinion. That's all.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #65
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Mechanically Seperated chicken:

Take a look at these sites to get more info, and remember, Wikepedia isn't the most trustworthy source, though it is very popular.

Mechanically separated chicken for food-Truth!

Potted Meat Food Products

And I don't mind that you find it groww and disgusting stuff. You aren't insulting me a bit. I just ask that you qualify that as your opinion. That's all.

The first link you referenced really, REALLY glosses over what MS chicken is. The only thing that is questionable in the "circulated e-mail" they reference is the "immature sex glands" part. And that is doubtful to me because I have no doubt in my mind the sex glands get used in other products first. Mechanical separation is the meat processing equivalent to strip-mining an area where a coal vein once existed, but has been picked clean by normal mining processes. It still gets product out, but it's a vastly inferior product.

The second link is a LOT more concise:

Quote:
Mechanically Separated Poultry is a paste-like poultry product produced by forcing crushed bone and tissue through a sieve or similar device to separate bone from tissue.
Which is, essentially, how I described it above. It takes all the parts that are left after every other process has claimed all normally edible parts, including many parts the average person wouldn't even consider eating, like brains, kidneys, and other vital organs, and via high pressure and high temperature, renders the rest into a paste.

The reason why MS Beef was banned in the 90's was because of the outbreak of Mad Cow disease and the concern that the BULK of MS meat is derived from the backbone (in other words, the bulk of the "tissue" derived therefrom was from the spinal cord) and the USDA did not deem the MS process to be sufficiently able to ensure non-transmission to humans, due to this high concentration of nervous system tissue.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #66
Senior Cook

If anyone would like to see for themselves first hand, I can get you a tour through the Tyson's Chicken Processing Plant in Berryville, Arkansas. It's an interesting place for those who care to see where their food comes from, including mechanically seperated. It's only a 45 minute drive from my house. Cattle, chickens and turkeys are the major and bountiful agricultural products of my county. I can get you by-products that don't even see the shelves in stores!!!

I worked part time when I was young (for extra money) in Eviz (evisceration - the separating of the guts from the carcass.) I worked in the department that does what all of you have been talking about.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #67
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetalChef View Post
The first link you referenced really, REALLY glosses over what MS chicken is. The only thing that is questionable in the "circulated e-mail" they reference is the "immature sex glands" part. And that is doubtful to me because I have no doubt in my mind the sex glands get used in other products first. Mechanical separation is the meat processing equivalent to strip-mining an area where a coal vein once existed, but has been picked clean by normal mining processes. It still gets product out, but it's a vastly inferior product.

The second link is a LOT more concise:

Which is, essentially, how I described it above. It takes all the parts that are left after every other process has claimed all normally edible parts, including many parts the average person wouldn't even consider eating, like brains, kidneys, and other vital organs, and via high pressure and high temperature, renders the rest into a paste.

The reason why MS Beef was banned in the 90's was because of the outbreak of Mad Cow disease and the concern that the BULK of MS meat is derived from the backbone (in other words, the bulk of the "tissue" derived therefrom was from the spinal cord) and the USDA did not deem the MS process to be sufficiently able to ensure non-transmission to humans, due to this high concentration of nervous system tissue.
Now this post is one I can applaud. You have made your case without emotional bias and presented more factual information. I'll continue to purchase and consume potted meat and vienna sausage, as what's in it doesn't bother me. And I understood why MS-Beef was banned and so am happy that USDA banned it. But I also respect your views on the subject because you offered them as factual information, without insulting the product or persons who might enjoy them.

Good job.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #68
Master Chef

This was a recent sandwich.....

SPAM, mayo, hard-boiled egg, onion, relish
Old 10-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #69
Master Chef

Basically "ham & egg salad". Nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #70
Senior Cook

Potted meat and vegetables can be excellent or terrible. but I've never had good ones from a store. Helen Witty offers a number of recipes for home-made potted ham (not deviled though she gives that as a variation), shrimp, mushrooms.... Look in the Good Stuff cookbook by her. Lots of excellent pantry staples that will improve your noshing.

If you start with good meat and clarify your own butter and so on, it can be quite the treat. The butter gives it richness and spreadability, some spices that build in flavor over a few days after its packed.

I suspect it's out of print now.

It goes along these lines for the potted ham

1 pound ham, deboned, degristled and skinned cut in chunks
6 oz clarified butter plus more for sealing
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon mace
1/2 teapoon red pepper
pinch ground bay leaf

Grind this smooth in your food processor. Taste for seasoning but know that the flavor will intensify as it cures. Pack into clean sterilized jars. Pour more clarified butter over the top to seal it. Also can pack into plastic and skip the sealing butter,but it won't keep as long. Keep refrigerated but let warm up a bit for serving.