How do you make an edible potted meat sandwich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're lucky enough to have money, then you are not in the position of being forced to eat it.

There are better choices for food than Potted Meat for one who doesn't have money for better quality meat products. I've been in that spot myself a few times.

tuna & salmon are packaged in cans & they taste fine.
& i also like potted meat with saltines instead of bread.
i have great foods at my disposal. right now we're in charcuterie & making all kinds of pureed meat products. they're great!

Potted Meat

How do you make an edible potted meat sandwich?

Without the potted meat :w00t2:
Grind your Cooked Roast Beef, grind an onion (use an amount as not to overpower the Beef) Stir in Mayo to a spreading consistency.
2 c. roast beef
1/2 c onion
Mayo to spread well
a few dashes of Frank's Red Hot Sauce
Good on bread as a sandwich or on a slice of toast

Mechanically Seperated chicken:

Take a look at these sites to get more info, and remember, Wikepedia isn't the most trustworthy source, though it is very popular.

Mechanically separated chicken for food-Truth!

Potted Meat Food Products

And I don't mind that you find it groww and disgusting stuff. You aren't insulting me a bit. I just ask that you qualify that as your opinion. That's all.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Mechanically Seperated chicken:

Take a look at these sites to get more info, and remember, Wikepedia isn't the most trustworthy source, though it is very popular.

Mechanically separated chicken for food-Truth!

Potted Meat Food Products

And I don't mind that you find it groww and disgusting stuff. You aren't insulting me a bit. I just ask that you qualify that as your opinion. That's all.

The first link you referenced really, REALLY glosses over what MS chicken is. The only thing that is questionable in the "circulated e-mail" they reference is the "immature sex glands" part. And that is doubtful to me because I have no doubt in my mind the sex glands get used in other products first. Mechanical separation is the meat processing equivalent to strip-mining an area where a coal vein once existed, but has been picked clean by normal mining processes. It still gets product out, but it's a vastly inferior product.

The second link is a LOT more concise:

Mechanically Separated Poultry is a paste-like poultry product produced by forcing crushed bone and tissue through a sieve or similar device to separate bone from tissue.

Which is, essentially, how I described it above. It takes all the parts that are left after every other process has claimed all normally edible parts, including many parts the average person wouldn't even consider eating, like brains, kidneys, and other vital organs, and via high pressure and high temperature, renders the rest into a paste.

The reason why MS Beef was banned in the 90's was because of the outbreak of Mad Cow disease and the concern that the BULK of MS meat is derived from the backbone (in other words, the bulk of the "tissue" derived therefrom was from the spinal cord) and the USDA did not deem the MS process to be sufficiently able to ensure non-transmission to humans, due to this high concentration of nervous system tissue.

If anyone would like to see for themselves first hand, I can get you a tour through the Tyson's Chicken Processing Plant in Berryville, Arkansas. It's an interesting place for those who care to see where their food comes from, including mechanically seperated. It's only a 45 minute drive from my house. Cattle, chickens and turkeys are the major and bountiful agricultural products of my county. I can get you by-products that don't even see the shelves in stores!!! :ROFLMAO:

I worked part time when I was young (for extra money) in Eviz (evisceration - the separating of the guts from the carcass.) I worked in the department that does what all of you have been talking about.

The first link you referenced really, REALLY glosses over what MS chicken is. The only thing that is questionable in the "circulated e-mail" they reference is the "immature sex glands" part. And that is doubtful to me because I have no doubt in my mind the sex glands get used in other products first. Mechanical separation is the meat processing equivalent to strip-mining an area where a coal vein once existed, but has been picked clean by normal mining processes. It still gets product out, but it's a vastly inferior product.

The second link is a LOT more concise:

Which is, essentially, how I described it above. It takes all the parts that are left after every other process has claimed all normally edible parts, including many parts the average person wouldn't even consider eating, like brains, kidneys, and other vital organs, and via high pressure and high temperature, renders the rest into a paste.

The reason why MS Beef was banned in the 90's was because of the outbreak of Mad Cow disease and the concern that the BULK of MS meat is derived from the backbone (in other words, the bulk of the "tissue" derived therefrom was from the spinal cord) and the USDA did not deem the MS process to be sufficiently able to ensure non-transmission to humans, due to this high concentration of nervous system tissue.

Now this post is one I can applaud. You have made your case without emotional bias and presented more factual information. I'll continue to purchase and consume potted meat and vienna sausage, as what's in it doesn't bother me. And I understood why MS-Beef was banned and so am happy that USDA banned it. But I also respect your views on the subject because you offered them as factual information, without insulting the product or persons who might enjoy them.

Good job.

This was a recent sandwich.....
img_855478_0_23e53c7c95793e9be7d4732bde4ef1ab.jpg

img_855478_1_1e7432816601f1a14b5bcdbc88c4b2db.jpg

img_855478_2_9bee3686eb3f33c3bf975535208d3e0a.jpg

SPAM, mayo, hard-boiled egg, onion, relish

Potted meat and vegetables can be excellent or terrible. but I've never had good ones from a store. Helen Witty offers a number of recipes for home-made potted ham (not deviled though she gives that as a variation), shrimp, mushrooms.... Look in the Good Stuff cookbook by her. Lots of excellent pantry staples that will improve your noshing.

If you start with good meat and clarify your own butter and so on, it can be quite the treat. The butter gives it richness and spreadability, some spices that build in flavor over a few days after its packed.

I suspect it's out of print now.

It goes along these lines for the potted ham

1 pound ham, deboned, degristled and skinned cut in chunks
6 oz clarified butter plus more for sealing
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon mace
1/2 teapoon red pepper
pinch ground bay leaf

Grind this smooth in your food processor. Taste for seasoning but know that the flavor will intensify as it cures. Pack into clean sterilized jars. Pour more clarified butter over the top to seal it. Also can pack into plastic and skip the sealing butter,but it won't keep as long. Keep refrigerated but let warm up a bit for serving.

Now this post is one I can applaud. You have made your case without emotional bias and presented more factual information. I'll continue to purchase and consume potted meat and vienna sausage, as what's in it doesn't bother me. And I understood why MS-Beef was banned and so am happy that USDA banned it. But I also respect your views on the subject because you offered them as factual information, without insulting the product or persons who might enjoy them.

Good job.

That's pretty much how I roll.

Plenty of sites out there to get into flame-wars if that's your bag. I'm here to talk about food. ;)

As a child I remember my mom using Underwood deviled ham once in a while, but more often my parents would just grind up leftover roast beef or ham and add miracle whip, pickles and onion to it and spread on homemade bread. They would also do it with Spam. I grew up eating Spam and still enjoy it. Most kids nowadays would not touch it, as it seems to have a bad reputation, but all of my kids love the stuff. We fry it for breakfast or sandwiches, and I will also grate it like cheese when I don't feel like getting out the processor, add mayo, dill pickles, onion or green onion, shredded cheddar cheese and mix it all up. It is a typical picnic sandwich for us. I don't do it often, so when I do, the kids are thrilled with it. Goes great with Lays potato chips and a glass of milk. I don't use canned potted meat, have never bought the Underwood stuff as an adult either. It doesn't appeal to me, but give me some Spam any day.

Open can.
Gag and lean over sink.
Knock opened can on floor.
Pretend not to notice.
Continue gagging until dog comes to see what's up.
Kick can toward dog if necessary.
Continue gagging over sink until dog eats "meat."
Say "BAD DOG!"
Make onion sandwich with remaining ingredients.
Be happy.

:ROFLMAO:

opinions are like an ingredient in potted meat, as the paraphrased saying goes.

for shame all of you people who pooped on gw's party. who cares if you think it's gross.

would you want someone to strongly express their opinion in a thread you started? this "true foodie's" thread wasn't about food processing or additives. it was about the greatness of what we used to call nuclear food back in the 70's, when it all could end in a moment via the ussr.

does it make you feel better to be in the company of like minded people.

say baaaaaa. baaaaaaaaa.

mmmmm, meat. you're starting to look tasty...

lol, i'm kidding.
sorta.
judge for yourselves. lol.

the real curiosity is understanding why one has such a knee jerk reaction so as to express one's opinion contrary to the op's meaning in the case of heavily processed food. interesting from a foodie perspective.

anywho, i don't really like the gooeyness of potted meat and vienna sausages are boring. but i love spam, grilled over coals, with raw onion and hot mustard on rye, side o' half sours.

when i was a kid i loved one of my dad's late night snacks. he'd arrange a plate of crackers, then top some with extra sharp cheddar, some with devilled ham , all with onion. little bowls of spicy mustard and pickled veggies alongside. what a treat!!!

you know, you'd be surprised.at how good something tastes when you're truely hungry - to the point you feel undernourished ( most people have never experienced it for even a day). i remember being in college and after spending all of my money on umm, what i can't mention, and you finally came down, you NEEDED to eat. you'd be surprised at how good potted meat can be made into something good. ( i'm sure a similar experience to many foodies, being responsible for your entire survival for the first time).

or later on life, when hiking and your food runs out, you'd kill for potted meat, and some accompanyments. when your body is spent, your soul exhausted, and you still need to come up with food and water.

so it's all about perspective. the more varied the better, reasonably of course. how varied is yours?

so pass me that animal and i'll use every part if i'm hungry enough. the great ones can make the leftover bits delicious.

you may have your soapbox back, lol.

Last edited:
After I got through laughing, I was going to suggest adding potted meat to egg salad and eliminating the salt. You'd have that potted meat flavor without all the salt.:chef:

I love it all....spam and deviled ham. Sandwiches, crackers and of course, company spam which is sliced, baked with brown sugar and mustard glaze!

feed the potted meat to your cat
make a grilled cheese sandwich...lol
srsrly,,,i like some things a lot of people consider nasty...BUT potted meat is just vile to me
My friends mother ate it like crazy..she ate it with buttered saltines
:ohmy:

Potted Meat Sandwich

Simple is best. Just mix the potted meat with whatever amount of mayonnaise (preferably DUKE'S) suits your fancy, spread on white bread and enjoy! Don't spread them separately! Mix the two ingredients until nice and spreadable.

Back
Top Bottom