"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps
Old 10-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #71
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Now this post is one I can applaud. You have made your case without emotional bias and presented more factual information. I'll continue to purchase and consume potted meat and vienna sausage, as what's in it doesn't bother me. And I understood why MS-Beef was banned and so am happy that USDA banned it. But I also respect your views on the subject because you offered them as factual information, without insulting the product or persons who might enjoy them.

Good job.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
That's pretty much how I roll.

Plenty of sites out there to get into flame-wars if that's your bag. I'm here to talk about food.

We've moved the show to DailyMotion.com!

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #72
As a child I remember my mom using Underwood deviled ham once in a while, but more often my parents would just grind up leftover roast beef or ham and add miracle whip, pickles and onion to it and spread on homemade bread. They would also do it with Spam. I grew up eating Spam and still enjoy it. Most kids nowadays would not touch it, as it seems to have a bad reputation, but all of my kids love the stuff. We fry it for breakfast or sandwiches, and I will also grate it like cheese when I don't feel like getting out the processor, add mayo, dill pickles, onion or green onion, shredded cheddar cheese and mix it all up. It is a typical picnic sandwich for us. I don't do it often, so when I do, the kids are thrilled with it. Goes great with Lays potato chips and a glass of milk. I don't use canned potted meat, have never bought the Underwood stuff as an adult either. It doesn't appeal to me, but give me some Spam any day.

sunnysmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Open can.
Gag and lean over sink.
Knock opened can on floor.
Pretend not to notice.
Continue gagging until dog comes to see what's up.
Kick can toward dog if necessary.
Continue gagging over sink until dog eats "meat."
Say "BAD DOG!"
Make onion sandwich with remaining ingredients.
Be happy.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:25 AM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire
opinions are like an ingredient in potted meat, as the paraphrased saying goes.

for shame all of you people who pooped on gw's party. who cares if you think it's gross.

would you want someone to strongly express their opinion in a thread you started? this "true foodie's" thread wasn't about food processing or additives. it was about the greatness of what we used to call nuclear food back in the 70's, when it all could end in a moment via the ussr.

does it make you feel better to be in the company of like minded people.

say baaaaaa. baaaaaaaaa.

mmmmm, meat. you're starting to look tasty...

lol, i'm kidding.
judge for yourselves. lol.

the real curiosity is understanding why one has such a knee jerk reaction so as to express one's opinion contrary to the op's meaning in the case of heavily processed food. interesting from a foodie perspective.

anywho, i don't really like the gooeyness of potted meat and vienna sausages are boring. but i love spam, grilled over coals, with raw onion and hot mustard on rye, side o' half sours.

when i was a kid i loved one of my dad's late night snacks. he'd arrange a plate of crackers, then top some with extra sharp cheddar, some with devilled ham , all with onion. little bowls of spicy mustard and pickled veggies alongside. what a treat!!!

you know, you'd be surprised.at how good something tastes when you're truely hungry - to the point you feel undernourished ( most people have never experienced it for even a day). i remember being in college and after spending all of my money on umm, what i can't mention, and you finally came down, you NEEDED to eat. you'd be surprised at how good potted meat can be made into something good. ( i'm sure a similar experience to many foodies, being responsible for your entire survival for the first time).

or later on life, when hiking and your food runs out, you'd kill for potted meat, and some accompanyments. when your body is spent, your soul exhausted, and you still need to come up with food and water.

so it's all about perspective. the more varied the better, reasonably of course. how varied is yours?

so pass me that animal and i'll use every part if i'm hungry enough. the great ones can make the leftover bits delicious.

you may have your soapbox back, lol.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:23 AM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
After I got through laughing, I was going to suggest adding potted meat to egg salad and eliminating the salt. You'd have that potted meat flavor without all the salt.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #76
Head Chef
I love it all....spam and deviled ham. Sandwiches, crackers and of course, company spam which is sliced, baked with brown sugar and mustard glaze!
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #77
Assistant Cook
feed the potted meat to your cat
make a grilled cheese sandwich...lol
srsrly,,,i like some things a lot of people consider nasty...BUT potted meat is just vile to me
My friends mother ate it like crazy..she ate it with buttered saltines

mzdee is offline   Reply With Quote