Interesting grilled cheese ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently hosted a grilled cheese dinner party. The favourite was made on sourdough with roasted jalapenos, bacon jam and fresh ricotta. Yum.

As for the onion jam grilled cheese, yes! I do this frequently as well.

I recently hosted a grilled cheese dinner party. The favourite was made on sourdough with roasted jalapenos, bacon jam and fresh ricotta. Yum.

As for the onion jam grilled cheese, yes! I do this frequently as well.

This sounds delicious!

One of our favorites is made with a type of bread I make called bacon-and-egg bread, which is standard white loaf bread that is made using beaten egg and cooked bacon bits. I won't go into the process here but, suffice it to say, it's yummy on its own.

Butter one side of each slice, add a nice layer of Swiss cheese and another layer of thinly shaved ham. Assemble in the normal manner and grill until nice and brown and the cheese begins to melt. Yep, yep, yeppers. Pretty good sammich!
YUM!! I like my grilled ham and swiss on seeded rye bread.

I have been craving grilled cheese. Been eating grilled American and swiss on bakery seeded rye for most of the week for either lunch or dinner all week. Was thinking of adding bacon and maybe muenster but alas I ran out of rye bread. LOL need to stock up again.

My dilemma is that I don't like white bread. In fact I don't really care for any bread. But when I do need bread, I will buy a whole wheat or a rye, pumpernickel, etc. Then if I choose to make a grilled cheese, I like a slice of tomato on it. Now the flavor of the bread takes over the flavor of the rest of the filling. Some day I will find a bread that I wouldn't mind eating every day. :angel:

I really like bacon with thin tomato slices. Type of cheese optional. Whatever I have on hand that sounds good.

Today, that would be provalone. I've given up on Swiss; it just doesn't have enough flavor any more, but that's probably a symptom of me getting older. LOL

I really like bacon with thin tomato slices. Type of cheese optional. Whatever I have on hand that sounds good.

Today, that would be provalone. I've given up on Swiss; it just doesn't have enough flavor any more, but that's probably a symptom of me getting older. LOL

No it is not just you. I am finding it to have a bitter after taste. And I buy the imported. Maybe it is the grass at this time of year. I am hoping that in a month or two, it will improve. If not, I will be joining you in giving up on it. I may just go with one from Wisc. A lot of American foods are not to be overlooked any longer. Import is not always the best. :angel:

Addie, I've tried them all that I could get ahold of. Fortunately, provalone slices are available that give a nice flavor. I'd use cheddar, which I can easily taste, but it just doesn't go with a lot of things I eat.

I'm glad I can really taste cheddar and it fits into a lot of things, but I'd rather use the provalone on hamburgers or sliced chicken breast sandwiches.

Addie, I've tried them all that I could get ahold of. Fortunately, provalone slices are available that give a nice flavor. I'd use cheddar, which I can easily taste, but it just doesn't go with a lot of things I eat.

I'm glad I can really taste cheddar and it fits into a lot of things, but I'd rather use the provalone on hamburgers or sliced chicken breast sandwiches.

Z, I used to turn my nose up at American Parm, Romano and Asiago cheeses. If they weren't imported from Italy, then I wouldn't even consider them. Provolone was another one that had to be imported. But these past couple of years I have been finding some local cheeses that are just as good if not better than the imported.

It dawned on me that here I am always preaching "Buy American" and I am not practicing what I preach. So little by little one cheese at a time, I was introducing myself to American cheeses. And also some cold cuts. Such as Mortadella, Salami, Pepperoni, etc. I realized I had been brainwashed growing up in an Italian neighborhood. We have some great American food artisans.

When I worked in the bank employees cafeteria one of my jobs was to order the foods from Sysco each week. The head chef would tell me to put an item on the list and I would order the groceries twice a week. Ninety percent of the foods ordered were American produced. All the cheeses and cold cuts. American grown plum canned tomatoes, and so much more. If there was a foreign made food item, there was an American made one just as good, if not sometimes better. So now I practice what I preach. "Buy American." :angel:

I have the same problem--I don't eat bread, but every now and again, I want a grilled cheese. I have found that using large portebello mushrooms and stuffing them with grated smoked cheddar, smoked blue cheese, provolone, bacon, caramelized onions, chopped dill pickle, on the grill, does it for me. Not quite a grilled cheese, but the flavours of grilled cheese. Serve with favorite salsa or hot sauce.

I have the same problem--I don't eat bread, but every now and again, I want a grilled cheese. I have found that using large portebello mushrooms and stuffing them with grated smoked cheddar, smoked blue cheese, provolone, bacon, caramelized onions, chopped dill pickle, on the grill, does it for me. Not quite a grilled cheese, but the flavours of grilled cheese. Serve with favorite salsa or hot sauce.

Thanks, CWS. I like the portabella idea. I've been able to manage my pimento cheese smeared on just one slice of bread so far, but of course the diabetes could get worse.

I made this last batch with extra sharp cheddar, parm and bleu cheese. It's a great combo and I'm thinking about splurging and having two slices of honey wheat bread and making a grilled cheese.

*Adding Portabellas to the grocery list*

This blog has a pdf collection of 25 different ways to make a grilled cheese sandwich.

Closet Cooking: Melty Grilled Cheese

TL--not only is Brie great in a grilled cheese, but so is soft goat cheese, Oka cheese, and Camembert. And don't forget Jarlsberg.

If you have dried cranberries on hand, soak those in water (or Kirsch), toast some walnuts, take some caramelized onion...

]
Drain the plumped cranberries. Dump the cranberries and toasted walnuts in the cup of your "wand" blender. "Whirl" them using your wand blender. Season to taste. Smear that on top of the cheese, add some caramelized onion, bacon, slap the other piece of bread with the cheese on top of that. You can also add something green before you grill the sammie.

I haven't re-read all of the posts in this thread, and don't want to take the time, as it's time to go to bed. Just wanted to share a grilled cheese sandwich that I made tonight that was spot on for flavor.

Ingredients:
2 slices whole wheat bread
butter
2 slices pre-cut Havarti Cheese
3 thin slices of vine ripened tomatoes (anyone lucky enough to have tomato plants growing)
1 tsp. basil pesto

Place the cheese, then the tomato to cover the cheese on one slice. Spread the pesto evenly on the other slice. Put together with the fillings in the middle. Butter one outside surface of the sandwich and cook in heavy pan or griddle. While the down-side is browning, butter the other side. Flip after about a minute and brown the other side.

The pesto added a sensational flavor to this sandwich. The only other thing i might add to the is thinly sliced, medium rare inside round, or sirloin, both cut against the grain, of course.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom