"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 06-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #21
Senior Cook

I recently hosted a grilled cheese dinner party. The favourite was made on sourdough with roasted jalapenos, bacon jam and fresh ricotta. Yum.

As for the onion jam grilled cheese, yes! I do this frequently as well.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeeCoco View Post
I recently hosted a grilled cheese dinner party. The favourite was made on sourdough with roasted jalapenos, bacon jam and fresh ricotta. Yum.

As for the onion jam grilled cheese, yes! I do this frequently as well.

This sounds delicious!

Old 06-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

I have to make some bacon jam. Sounds amazing.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I have to make some bacon jam. Sounds amazing.
This is the recipe I use:

The Best Bacon Jam | The Endless Meal
Old 06-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you!
Old 06-05-2015, 06:01 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
One of our favorites is made with a type of bread I make called bacon-and-egg bread, which is standard white loaf bread that is made using beaten egg and cooked bacon bits. I won't go into the process here but, suffice it to say, it's yummy on its own.

Butter one side of each slice, add a nice layer of Swiss cheese and another layer of thinly shaved ham. Assemble in the normal manner and grill until nice and brown and the cheese begins to melt. Yep, yep, yeppers. Pretty good sammich!
YUM!! I like my grilled ham and swiss on seeded rye bread.

I have been craving grilled cheese. Been eating grilled American and swiss on bakery seeded rye for most of the week for either lunch or dinner all week. Was thinking of adding bacon and maybe muenster but alas I ran out of rye bread. LOL need to stock up again.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:01 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

My dilemma is that I don't like white bread. In fact I don't really care for any bread. But when I do need bread, I will buy a whole wheat or a rye, pumpernickel, etc. Then if I choose to make a grilled cheese, I like a slice of tomato on it. Now the flavor of the bread takes over the flavor of the rest of the filling. Some day I will find a bread that I wouldn't mind eating every day.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:37 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I really like bacon with thin tomato slices. Type of cheese optional. Whatever I have on hand that sounds good.

Today, that would be provalone. I've given up on Swiss; it just doesn't have enough flavor any more, but that's probably a symptom of me getting older. LOL

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I really like bacon with thin tomato slices. Type of cheese optional. Whatever I have on hand that sounds good.

Today, that would be provalone. I've given up on Swiss; it just doesn't have enough flavor any more, but that's probably a symptom of me getting older. LOL
No it is not just you. I am finding it to have a bitter after taste. And I buy the imported. Maybe it is the grass at this time of year. I am hoping that in a month or two, it will improve. If not, I will be joining you in giving up on it. I may just go with one from Wisc. A lot of American foods are not to be overlooked any longer. Import is not always the best.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Addie, I've tried them all that I could get ahold of. Fortunately, provalone slices are available that give a nice flavor. I'd use cheddar, which I can easily taste, but it just doesn't go with a lot of things I eat.

I'm glad I can really taste cheddar and it fits into a lot of things, but I'd rather use the provalone on hamburgers or sliced chicken breast sandwiches.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheese, grill