ISO cheap, yummy sandwich fillings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't suppose a potato salad sandwich could be much worse than a deep-fried cheese one... I'm also thinking of using caramelised onion.

If I wanted to make coleslaw, what do I use as the binder?
To me it's a different issue. One is a lot of carbs, the other shouldn't contain a lot of fat (other than the cheese) if the oil is hot enough. Just remember seeing it served and thought it may appeal to you. If not, don't have it!:)

Cheese and caramalised onion is lovely.

Also try using lettuce leaves to form a roll instead of using bread at all.

Certainly use the mayo substitute that you have to bind the coleslaw but just go easy on it. You don't need much to make it bind, nor to make it tasty. Lots of people seem to smother their coleslaw in mayo or similar which is really unnecessary. Also try aioli (which is garlic mayo) for a change.
HTH

Home-made liver sausage is easy to make, and tastes very good, and, you have the ingredients.

1 lb. liver
1/2 onion
1 lb. ground pork
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350' F.
Put all ingredients through a grinder, or combine in a food processor. Place the sausage paste into a loaf pan, or into clean soup cans from which only the top and the labels have been removed. Place the containers into the oven and bake until a meat thermometer reads about 175' F (about an hour). Remove from the oven and invert onto a platter. If using the cans, simply open the bottom and use it to push out your end product. Chill in the fridge, in a sealed plastic bag, or container until ready to use.

The sausage can be sliced and placed on bread with mayo, tomato, lettuce, etc., or can be smashed together with salad dressing, peickle relish, etc, like you would with canned tuna. Or, you can simply serve the sausage with crackers.

Another great way to make sandwhich fillings is to purchace things like canned makeral. It tastes very similar to canned salmon, and can be used to make fried patties, or cakes, or can be drained, and mixed with mayo, diced onion, mustard, etc. to make a sandwhich spread.

That sandwich spread you get at your supermarket is simply bologna that's been run through the meat grinder and mixed with either Miracle Whip Salad Dressing, or one of the generic versions, and sweet pickle relish.

I sometimes will puchace a couple of meat types when they are on sale, and make my own pate's or turrines by slicing the raw meat (turkey, pork, beef, etc.) into stirps and placing them in alternating layers in a greased loaf pan, with onion and garlic powder, salt, and pepper sprinkled between the layers. Again, you bake it until the temp. reads about 175 F. Chill this in the fridge until cold. Remove from the loaf pan and cut into thin slices. You can even add ifnly diced bits of peppers, or olives, and such to the loafs between layers. It's like getting olive loaf at the store, but better, because you get to season it yourself.

And there is absolutely nother wrong with barbecuing a good, lean chunk of meat on the covered grill, using the inderect method. You can even throw on a bit of your favorite smoking wood if you want. Then, when it's done and cooled, you just slice it deli-thin for sandwhiches. Just remember to slice it against the grain. Good meats for this include beef (tri-tips, top round, sirloin, bottom round), turkey, chicken, lean pork (fresh hams, loin), or any other lean meat you can find cheap. And of course, you can always dice or grind the cooked meat and mix with something else to extend the meat.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Will check it out - thanks! Unfortunately, most of the leaves seem to be stripped away from the broccoli at the place where I buy produce. I really wonder why.

I don't know if I can clear it up for you, but I'm just asking for suggestions on what to put on sandwiches. The ingredients are the things I regularly have available. It's mostly cheap stuff, since I'm a student with little income, although I do sometimes buy things like olive oil and olives (and cheese is also pretty expensive, even if I get the cheapest).

Try a brown bean sandwich the next time you cook up some beans. My mother used to love cold ham and beans on bread.

Could someone expand my cooking knowledge (which is slim at best) and tell me what this thread is all about?

It looks like Sean is looking for some sandwich spread to parallel what he buys in tubs at the store, but cheaper, but I don't get the huge list of "ingredients".... Are we supposed to make a spread from the ingredients? To taste like what he buys (in Ireland?).

I am so lost. Especially with all the suggestions. I obviously don't know what he is asking. :huh:

Thanks

Yes, pacanis - seans is looking to make "the sort of over-priced fillings you can buy in small tubs at the supermarket" using just his list of ingredients.

Ireland? LOL - if you look on the left side of the page, under his name, you will see that he is from Maastricht, The Netherlands. Like, you're from NW, PA.

Looking at some of the other replies - you're not the only one to miss that.

Last edited:
Huh :huh: I wonder why I thought he was from Ireland.....
Must have been his username ;).... Sean.... potato... gotta be Irish!

Thanks. When I wandered into this thread I was expecting to see recipes on how to duplicate "Underwood's deviled ham" or similar (to name something I know of).
Not that anyone would want to recreate Underwood's deviled ham :ermm:

If you like broccoli make a broccoli and egg

sandwich. cook broccoli, onion, garlic in pan with olive oil, when nearly done add some eggs scramble then eat on a nice Italian style roll. This can also be done with peppers or pepperoni or spinach or sausage. Add cheese also.

When I wandered into this thread I was expecting to see recipes on how to duplicate "Underwood's deviled ham" or similar (to name something I know of). Not that anyone would want to recreate Underwood's deviled ham :ermm:
Since it was mentioned.......:LOL:

Winning Deviled Ham
1 pound smoked ham, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup prepared mustard
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon mustard powder
Salt
Pepper

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Use as a sandwich filling or spread on crackers for a snack.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups

Well, mcnerd, that doesn't actually sound too bad. But if it tastes and smells like that stuff that used to come in those little cans with white wrapping and a red devil, I'll pass. My mother used to make sandwiches out of that stuff (just for herself - no one else would eat it) Thanks for posting it, though! Might be good?

One thing nice about DIY recipes is that you can change the ingredients and spices to what you like. Nobody needs to go through life with a bad taste in their mouth over some mass produced (content unknown) product.

Back
Top Bottom