"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 04-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO cheap, yummy sandwich fillings

I'd like to be able to make the sort of over-priced fillings you can buy in small tubs at the supermarket.

Dairy:

Milk
Eggs
Cheese (cheapest; somewhat softer and less flavourful than Cheddar)

Meat:

Liver-sausage

Produce:

Potatoes
Onions (white)
Broccoli
Carrots
Peas
Brussels sprouts
Lettuce
Leeks
Baked beans
Tomatoes (strained are cheaper)
Apples
Bananas
Oranges
Split peas (yellow and green)
Olives
Raisins

Grains:

Museli
Flour
Cornflour
Bread (brown but not wholemeal) [Flour comes from grains and bread comes from flour...]
Breadcrumbs
Rice (brown and white)

Herbs and spices:

Fresh parsley
Fresh chives
Paprika
Salt
Pepper
Thyme (dried)
Garlic powder
Ginger powder
Dill (dried)

Chemicals:

Monosodium glutamate
Sugar (white and brown/unrefined?)

Other:

Strained tomatoes
Macaroni (made from durum wheat)
Mustard (French as well as coarse)
Mayonnaise (it's actually fritesaus they're practically the same thing)
Peanut butter (smooth)
Oil (sunflower, peanut and olive)
Chicken and beef stock cubes
Baking powder
Yeast

Old 04-25-2008, 01:55 AM   #2
Master Chef

The main problem, Sean, is that the "over-priced fillings you can buy in small tubs at the supermarket" don't use your list of cheap ingredients.

Egg sandwiches:

Fried egg: (toasting the bread is optional - a smear of butter or mayo on the bread is also optional)

Scrambled egg: (toasting the bread is optional - a smear of butter or mayo on the bread is also optional) You could also put a bit of butter into the skillet, toss in some grated onion, sweat then, then add the eggs - toss in a bit of cheese at the end is you want ...

Boiled egg salad: boil a couple of eggs, mash with a fork, add mayo and S&P - smear on bread. Add a little yellow mustard for a kick ... add some horseradish to that for a bigger kick. Adding some grated onion, pickle relish, paprika, garlic powder, etc. - all optional and only limited by your imagination.

Tomato sandwich: bread, mayo, sliced tomato. Add some lettuce to that and you have a lettuce and tomato sandwich. You could also add a slice of onion. Another option - add some cheese! Now, add some bacon and you have the classic BLT!

Onion Sandwich: Smear some mayo on the bread, add some slices of onion, season with S&P.

Tuna/Fish Salad: get a tin of tuna (actually, you can use sardines) and mix with one of the boiled egg salad recipes (above). You can also use smoked kippers, dried fish ...

Peanut Butter and Banana: Smear both slices of bread with peanut butter - place sliced banana between.

Wish Sandwich: smear some mayo on a slice of bread, top with another slice of bread - and "wish" you had something else in-between them.

From some of your other posts, Sean, you seem to be willing to expand your list of ingredients ... so why go back to the limited list for sandwiches?

Old 04-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I usually update my list when I start buying another ingredient. This is the most-up-to-date list I have, although it is possible that I've forgotten something(s)?

Just added olives and raisins. I've actually had banana and peanut butter sandwiches for over a year! It's possible to shake things up a little by using toast (and having it open-face, instead of using two slices). I also like to throw in a few raisins.

I wonder if I could make some sort of filling out of a potato salad?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Head Chef

Sean, my daughter uses Elvis' recipe for peanut butter and banana sandwiches. They are about the most decadent things I've ever tasted, but I have to admit that they are delicious. Put peanut butter on both slices of bread, then add thinly sliced banana to both slices. Sprinkle each with brown sugar. Now, put the sandwich together and liberally butter both slices of bread on the outside. Grill it like a grilled cheese sandwich. The brown sugar melts and caramelizes and you have a sort of Bananas Foster thing happening inside. Really good - about once every five years!
Old 04-25-2008, 11:36 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans_potato_business View Post
I wonder if I could make some sort of filling out of a potato salad?
You can do anything you want! I, personally, wouldn't call potato salad on bread a sandwich ... but perhaps I lack vision.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:44 PM   #6
Head Chef

My favorite cheap sandwich.

Slices of Daikon radish, butter and salt on bread.... Yummy...
Old 04-26-2008, 03:58 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
You can do anything you want! I, personally, wouldn't call potato salad on bread a sandwich ... but perhaps I lack vision.
Yeah, sorry; I feel guilty for being such a cheap-***. Some of the things I've been making recently make me feel it's possible to eat really nice things (by my standards, anyway) really cheaply but my biggest void is sandwiches (I always cycle home from work (my internship; it's like a job except I don't get paid!) to make something cause I only ever make banana sandwiches and they get a bit boring. I've also made lettuce, tomato, mustard and fried leverwurst (no added oil) sandwiches which are awesome, but the lettuce isn't worth much nutritionally... broccoli is one of the most nutritious items, but unfortunately, I don't know how to work it into a sandwich... broccoli potato salad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Sean, my daughter uses Elvis' recipe for peanut butter and banana sandwiches. They are about the most decadent things I've ever tasted, but I have to admit that they are delicious. Put peanut butter on both slices of bread, then add thinly sliced banana to both slices. Sprinkle each with brown sugar. Now, put the sandwich together and liberally butter both slices of bread on the outside. Grill it like a grilled cheese sandwich. The brown sugar melts and caramelizes and you have a sort of Bananas Foster thing happening inside. Really good - about once every five years!
That sounds great! I'm going to be doing a lot of cycling tomorrow so I guess I can treat myself to some calories! Thanks!
Old 04-26-2008, 06:36 AM   #8
Executive Chef

If you have potato salad, why would you want to put it between bread? Super dooper carbs dose perhaps. I try not to double up on carbs so that combo just doesn't sit well for me.

Why not put some coleslaw in a sandwich? (You can substitute the Brussel Sprouts for the cabbage.) Raw veges but go light on the mayo. I like coleslaw with cheese and tomatoes, with or without meat. yum.

Toasted baked beans and cheese sandwiches are tasty too. As are toasted cheese, tomato and mustard ones. Personal favourite is toasted pineapple and cheese or a toasted fried egg, cheese and tomato sauce sandwich.

You could also deep fry a cheese sandwich for something different.
HTH
Old 04-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #9
Head Chef

I love banana and p'nut butter sandwiches on toast. Have to have my tomato sandwiches on white bread.( I know.) I used to love fried baloney sandwiches and fried spam sandwiches with yellow mustard. Don't eat that stuff anymore, but have fond memories of nutritional ignorant days. Sigh.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
If you have potato salad, why would you want to put it between bread? Super dooper carbs dose perhaps. I try not to double up on carbs so that combo just doesn't sit well for me.

Why not put some coleslaw in a sandwich? (You can substitute the Brussel Sprouts for the cabbage.) Raw veges but go light on the mayo. I like coleslaw with cheese and tomatoes, with or without meat. yum.

Toasted baked beans and cheese sandwiches are tasty too. As are toasted cheese, tomato and mustard ones. Personal favourite is toasted pineapple and cheese or a toasted fried egg, cheese and tomato sauce sandwich.

You could also deep fry a cheese sandwich for something different.
HTH
I don't suppose a potato salad sandwich could be much worse than a deep-fried cheese one... I'm also thinking of using caramelised onion.

If I wanted to make coleslaw, what do I use as the binder?