ISO cheap, yummy sandwich fillings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
I'd like to be able to make the sort of over-priced fillings you can buy in small tubs at the supermarket.

Dairy:

Milk
Eggs
Cheese (cheapest; somewhat softer and less flavourful than Cheddar)

Meat:

Liver-sausage

Produce:

Potatoes
Onions (white)
Broccoli
Carrots
Peas
Brussels sprouts
Lettuce
Leeks
Baked beans
Tomatoes (strained are cheaper)
Apples
Bananas
Oranges
Split peas (yellow and green)
Olives
Raisins

Grains:

Museli
Flour
Cornflour
Bread (brown but not wholemeal) [Flour comes from grains and bread comes from flour...]
Breadcrumbs
Rice (brown and white)

Herbs and spices:

Fresh parsley
Fresh chives
Paprika
Salt
Pepper
Thyme (dried)
Garlic powder
Ginger powder
Dill (dried)

Chemicals:

Monosodium glutamate
Sugar (white and brown/unrefined?)

Other:

Strained tomatoes
Macaroni (made from durum wheat)
Mustard (French as well as coarse)
Mayonnaise (it's actually fritesaus they're practically the same thing)
Peanut butter (smooth)
Oil (sunflower, peanut and olive)
Chicken and beef stock cubes
Baking powder
Yeast

Last edited:
The main problem, Sean, is that the "over-priced fillings you can buy in small tubs at the supermarket" don't use your list of cheap ingredients.

Egg sandwiches:

Fried egg: (toasting the bread is optional - a smear of butter or mayo on the bread is also optional)

Scrambled egg: (toasting the bread is optional - a smear of butter or mayo on the bread is also optional) You could also put a bit of butter into the skillet, toss in some grated onion, sweat then, then add the eggs - toss in a bit of cheese at the end is you want ...

Boiled egg salad: boil a couple of eggs, mash with a fork, add mayo and S&P - smear on bread. Add a little yellow mustard for a kick ... add some horseradish to that for a bigger kick. Adding some grated onion, pickle relish, paprika, garlic powder, etc. - all optional and only limited by your imagination.

Tomato sandwich: bread, mayo, sliced tomato. Add some lettuce to that and you have a lettuce and tomato sandwich. You could also add a slice of onion. Another option - add some cheese! Now, add some bacon and you have the classic BLT!

Onion Sandwich: Smear some mayo on the bread, add some slices of onion, season with S&P.

Tuna/Fish Salad: get a tin of tuna (actually, you can use sardines) and mix with one of the boiled egg salad recipes (above). You can also use smoked kippers, dried fish ...

Peanut Butter and Banana: Smear both slices of bread with peanut butter - place sliced banana between.

Wish Sandwich: smear some mayo on a slice of bread, top with another slice of bread - and "wish" you had something else in-between them.

From some of your other posts, Sean, you seem to be willing to expand your list of ingredients ... so why go back to the limited list for sandwiches?

I usually update my list when I start buying another ingredient. This is the most-up-to-date list I have, although it is possible that I've forgotten something(s)?

Just added olives and raisins. I've actually had banana and peanut butter sandwiches for over a year! It's possible to shake things up a little by using toast (and having it open-face, instead of using two slices). I also like to throw in a few raisins.

I wonder if I could make some sort of filling out of a potato salad?

Last edited:
Sean, my daughter uses Elvis' recipe for peanut butter and banana sandwiches. They are about the most decadent things I've ever tasted, but I have to admit that they are delicious. Put peanut butter on both slices of bread, then add thinly sliced banana to both slices. Sprinkle each with brown sugar. Now, put the sandwich together and liberally butter both slices of bread on the outside. Grill it like a grilled cheese sandwich. The brown sugar melts and caramelizes and you have a sort of Bananas Foster thing happening inside. Really good - about once every five years!

My favorite cheap sandwich.

Slices of Daikon radish, butter and salt on bread.... Yummy...

You can do anything you want! I, personally, wouldn't call potato salad on bread a sandwich ... but perhaps I lack vision.

Yeah, sorry; I feel guilty for being such a cheap-***. Some of the things I've been making recently make me feel it's possible to eat really nice things (by my standards, anyway) really cheaply but my biggest void is sandwiches (I always cycle home from work (my internship; it's like a job except I don't get paid!) to make something cause I only ever make banana sandwiches and they get a bit boring. I've also made lettuce, tomato, mustard and fried leverwurst (no added oil) sandwiches which are awesome, but the lettuce isn't worth much nutritionally... broccoli is one of the most nutritious items, but unfortunately, I don't know how to work it into a sandwich... broccoli potato salad?

Sean, my daughter uses Elvis' recipe for peanut butter and banana sandwiches. They are about the most decadent things I've ever tasted, but I have to admit that they are delicious. Put peanut butter on both slices of bread, then add thinly sliced banana to both slices. Sprinkle each with brown sugar. Now, put the sandwich together and liberally butter both slices of bread on the outside. Grill it like a grilled cheese sandwich. The brown sugar melts and caramelizes and you have a sort of Bananas Foster thing happening inside. Really good - about once every five years!

That sounds great! I'm going to be doing a lot of cycling tomorrow so I guess I can treat myself to some calories! Thanks!

If you have potato salad, why would you want to put it between bread? Super dooper carbs dose perhaps. I try not to double up on carbs so that combo just doesn't sit well for me.

Why not put some coleslaw in a sandwich? (You can substitute the Brussel Sprouts for the cabbage.) Raw veges but go light on the mayo. I like coleslaw with cheese and tomatoes, with or without meat. yum.

Toasted baked beans and cheese sandwiches are tasty too. As are toasted cheese, tomato and mustard ones. Personal favourite is toasted pineapple and cheese or a toasted fried egg, cheese and tomato sauce sandwich.

You could also deep fry a cheese sandwich for something different.
HTH

I love banana and p'nut butter sandwiches on toast. Have to have my tomato sandwiches on white bread.( I know.) I used to love fried baloney sandwiches and fried spam sandwiches with yellow mustard. Don't eat that stuff anymore, but have fond memories of nutritional ignorant days. Sigh.

If you have potato salad, why would you want to put it between bread? Super dooper carbs dose perhaps. I try not to double up on carbs so that combo just doesn't sit well for me.

Why not put some coleslaw in a sandwich? (You can substitute the Brussel Sprouts for the cabbage.) Raw veges but go light on the mayo. I like coleslaw with cheese and tomatoes, with or without meat. yum.

Toasted baked beans and cheese sandwiches are tasty too. As are toasted cheese, tomato and mustard ones. Personal favourite is toasted pineapple and cheese or a toasted fried egg, cheese and tomato sauce sandwich.

You could also deep fry a cheese sandwich for something different.
HTH

I don't suppose a potato salad sandwich could be much worse than a deep-fried cheese one... I'm also thinking of using caramelised onion.

If I wanted to make coleslaw, what do I use as the binder?

.. broccoli is one of the most nutritious items, but unfortunately, I don't know how to work it into a sandwich... ?

Use the broccoli leaves, not the broccoli head. It is possible that broccoli leaves are the most nutritious vegetable ever. It is more nutritious than the head. I routinely put broccoli leaves on dh's sandwiches in between spinach crops.
Search this web site for the

Cannellini Bean Pate recipe. It is excellent for a sandwich filling.

This recipe is for an appetizer, but it's delicious spread on rye bread and served with a dill pickle on the side. You could actually mix the cheese into it if you like.

Liver Sausage Spread

1/2 lb. liver sausage
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tbl dill pickle juice, slightly sweetened
1 tsp Worcester sauce
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1 8oz pkg cream cheese
1/4 tsp grated onion (?)
1 small jar pimentos, drained
cheddar cheese, grated

Mix everything together except the grated cheese. Shape into ball or loaf and roll in grated cheddar cheese.

My father-in-law used to eat sandwiches made from leftover fried potatoes and onions. I'm not talking crispy fries here, but sliced potatoes and coarsely chopped onion seasoned well with salt and pepper and fried in a small amount of grease until soft and nicely browned.

I don't rememer the measurements but:

Softened Cream Cheese
Pealed and finely diced english cucumber (if you use a regualr one seed it before you dice it)
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice (maybe a tsp)
chopped fresh dill
Salt and pepper

Mix together, add salt and pepper to taste and spread on a wheat bread or have with crackers.

Well, let's see - get some pita pockets, mayo, yogurt and salad dressings. Maybe some packages of shredded cheeses.

I'd make pita sandwiches, cutting each loaf in half and inserting one half into the other, for strength.

Make fillings of ...

- cooked veg combinations with some shredded cheese
- omelettes with the above, or with raw onion, green pepper, mushrooms
- fresh tossed salad with mayo or dressing
- fruit salads with yogurt

I have put just about everything in pita pockets, sean. They are a sandwich-lover's friend!

Lee

My sister took mashed potato sandwiches to school for lunch..not that she really liked those but that was all she could find to make lunch with.
My husband liked onion and vinegar sandwich when he had a cold.
When we lived in North Carolina they always put Cole Slaw on the hamburgers.

Could someone expand my cooking knowledge (which is slim at best) and tell me what this thread is all about?
It looks like Sean is looking for some sandwich spread to parallel what he buys in tubs at the store, but cheaper, but I don't get the huge list of "ingredients".... Are we supposed to make a spread from the ingredients? To taste like what he buys (in Ireland?).

I am so lost. Especially with all the suggestions. I obviously don't know what he is asking. :huh:

Thanks

Use the broccoli leaves, not the broccoli head. It is possible that broccoli leaves are the most nutritious vegetable ever. It is more nutritious than the head. I routinely put broccoli leaves on dh's sandwiches in between spinach crops.
Search this web site for the

Cannellini Bean Pate recipe. It is excellent for a sandwich filling.

Will check it out - thanks! Unfortunately, most of the leaves seem to be stripped away from the broccoli at the place where I buy produce. I really wonder why.

Could someone expand my cooking knowledge (which is slim at best) and tell me what this thread is all about?
It looks like Sean is looking for some sandwich spread to parallel what he buys in tubs at the store, but cheaper, but I don't get the huge list of "ingredients".... Are we supposed to make a spread from the ingredients? To taste like what he buys (in Ireland?).

I am so lost. Especially with all the suggestions. I obviously don't know what he is asking. :huh:

Thanks

I don't know if I can clear it up for you, but I'm just asking for suggestions on what to put on sandwiches. The ingredients are the things I regularly have available. It's mostly cheap stuff, since I'm a student with little income, although I do sometimes buy things like olive oil and olives (and cheese is also pretty expensive, even if I get the cheapest).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom