ISO Healthy Sandwich Fillings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can keep bread from getting soggy by using a lettuce leaf on each slice of bread with the filling between the lettuce leaves. Mayo also works.

I do several things to help that. If I'm using something like chicken salad, egg salad, tuna salad, etc I be sure to butter both slices on the inside. The butter acts as a barrier to keep the filling from soaking in. If I'm making a cold cut sandwich, I put the bread, cheese and meat together and take a separate container with condiments (ketchup, mayo, mustard etc). If you are looking for new recipes to spice up lunch sandwiches it would be good to know what you usually take so people can offer up different stuff.

Here are a few healthy sandwiches I make:
1 peeled and diced apple
some finely grated cheddar
2 tbs of cream cheese
cracked black pepper to taste
mix both cheeses till well combined with apple
lettuce leaves of choice

Spread some of the filling on buttered rye, top with lettuce and another slice of bread.

2. Thin slices of ham with mustard and sliced dill pickles.

3. Make your own sandwich spread by mixing some grated carrot, finely chopped pickles and peppers with a bit of mayo.

4. Drained can of tuna mixed with a touch of sweet chillli sauce and mayo with lettuce or cucumber.

5. Pumkin seed, peanut or almond nut butter with sugar free jam.

6. Thin slices of chicken with finely grated mozza and tomato slices. (Grating the cheese finely makes it look a feel like you are eating more cheese)

7. Hummus with some cucumber slices.

8. You can use tortilla wraps to prevent soggy lunch and fill with lean fish or chicken and salad.

9. Mix one can of tuna with half a tin of sweetcorn,chopped spring onion, mayo and salt and pepper.

10. Cottage cheese with berry preserve is good on rye or pumpernickel.

11. Pastrami and mustard with leafy greens like watercress, rocket or even baby spinach.

12. Creamed cheese with sweet chilli.

13. Ham with apple butter.

14. marmite and cheese

15. Slices of smoked salmon with lettuce, cucumber and a few sliced pickles.

16. Smoked salmon or mackerel with mustard, mayo and watercress............................etc

Can you be more specific about "healthy"? Are you looking for low fat? Low calorie? Any sandwich can be healthy depending on your ingredients.

If you went with a classic like ham and cheese, the best way to keep your bread from getting soggy is to put the condiments between the ham and cheese.. in the spirit of being healthy you could use some deli turkey and some swiss with mustard in between.

When doing smorgasbord "sandwiches," the trick to keeping the bread (or Knackerbrot) from getting soggy is to smear the bread to the edges and then cover with a lettuce leaf.

Turkey breast or smoked turkey breast with a slice or two of Swiss cheese or cheese of choice, sliced tomatoes, lettuce, etc. with a little mayonnaise and mustard on rye, pumpernickel, roll, or baguette.

Sliced hard boiled eggs with tomatoes and mayonnaise on any bread listed above.

A great sandwich I had in Paris many times:
Canned tuna in oil, drained and flaked, tomatoes, black olives, sliced hard boiled egg on top (don't remember if there's any lettuce). All drizzled with a vinaigrette. Served on a crusty baguette.

Turkey breast or smoked turkey breast with a slice or two of Swiss cheese or cheese of choice, sliced tomatoes, lettuce, etc. with a little mayonnaise and mustard on rye, pumpernickel, roll, or baguette.

Sliced hard boiled eggs with tomatoes and mayonnaise on any bread listed above.

A great sandwich I had in Paris many times:
Canned tuna in oil, drained and flaked, tomatoes, black olives, sliced hard boiled egg on top (don't remember if there's any lettuce). All drizzled with a vinaigrette. Served on a crusty baguette.

I want THAT tuna sandwich!:pig:

I think a lot of these suggestions may possibly leave bread soggy....packed lunch for work? I'm thinking of things like ham and cheese.....Tomatoes are full of water ...

When I take a sandwich along for lunch, I usually pack the bread and fillings separately and assemble them just before eating. This time of year, my favorite is Avocado and Tomato Sandwich with lettuce. Iput the mayo/mustard blend on the bread slices and close them together. When I'm ready to eat, I carefully separate the bread slices and make the sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom