ISO Panini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, "panini" is an Italian word for any type of sandwiches, so with any kind of bread and your favourite filling, you are good to go... do you have any particular type of sandwich in mind?

Try chicken/cranberry/brie....bacon/lettuce/tomato....bacon/prefried egg/chutney....roast beef/red onion/onion jam.....ham/cheese/onion...etc.

Really, just as Urmaniac says, use the types of fillings you like in sandwiches but imagine them hot!

Edited: Ooops! :) I am assuming you have a panini press so will be having them hot?

Last edited:
Actually, you can make panini sandwiches without owning a press. I use my grill pan and a foil-wrapped brick. As a matter of fact, I have two bricks that I've put through my dishwasher that are now wrapped with foil. They are part of my cooking tools. They work quite well for pressing sandwiches. I also use them for a dish called "chicken under a brick," which is a delicious way to cook spatchcocked chicken.

I'm sure some folks would wonder what in the world I've been thinking with some of the strange things I keep for use in my kitchen.

I like the combination of prosciutto, fontina and roasted red peppers. Fontina melts really well.

Katie E said:
Actually, you can make panini sandwiches without owning a press. I use my grill pan and a foil-wrapped brick. As a matter of fact, I have two bricks that I've put through my dishwasher that are now wrapped with foil. They are part of my cooking tools. They work quite well for pressing sandwiches. I also use them for a dish called "chicken under a brick," which is a delicious way to cook spatchcocked chicken.

I'm sure some folks would wonder what in the world I've been thinking with some of the strange things I keep for use in my kitchen.

I watched Emeril just the other night and he was making a huge panini sandwich. He used a brick that he said he put through the dishwsher first and then wrapped it in foil. :)

My favorite is he Cuban, Roasted pork loin, smoked ham, dill pickles, mustard, and swiss. We did these for New Years Eve for a small dinner party, had them along wit a dill potato salad, yummy! But hey like they say take what you like and mix the ingredients and vary the bread types.

panini these days is a term for a technique to make a pressed grilled sandwich - and is not a "recipe". Heck - my Mom used to make "panini" sandwiches back when I was a kid in the 50's - usually ham and cheese cooked in a cast iron skillet, with a bit of butter, with a bacon press on top.

I've had corned beef and cabbage paninis ... I've had pastami with sauerkraut and swiss cheese pananis ... I've have Cuban paninis when we lived in Miami. You can make a BLT panini. Heck - you could even make a peanut butter and banana panini!

Michael....Do you mean make the panini and bacon on top and press? Or is there a tool Bacon Press? I was thinking of doing the brick Katie E suggested.

Or if you have a cast iron skillet - when I don't drag out the panini maker, I revert back to the 50s grilled sandwich - make on a cast iron hot cake griddle and top it with a cast iron skillet with a piece of foil between the sandwich and the skillet.

mmmmm There are some GREAT panini ideas here!

I just got a Cuisinart Griddler for my birthday, and am looking for ideas on what to use it on.

Experimenting with pork chops tonight - I grilled mushrooms, onions and vinegar peppers first, and will grill the pork chops later on.

Can't wait to try some of these sandwiches!

Lee

Michael in FtW said:
Heck - you could even make a peanut butter and banana panini!

Elvis' housekeeper was ahead of her time. If she'd only called it a panini back then....think of the endorsements............

Panini is the plural form. It would have been a peanut butter and banana panino.

That said, try my latest development, Panino Del Monte Cristo.

Two slices of bread of choice
two slices of Black Forest ham
two slices of roasted turkey breast
two slices of swiss cheese (with holes)
one large egg
1/4 cup egg subsititute

Heat griddle, cast iron griddle pan, panini press, or a George Foreman grill (my personal weapon of choice). Scramble egg and egg substitute together. Dip each slice of bread in egg mixture, turning once. Cook one side of both slices of bread on griddle surface until browned. Turn one slice of bread over, add ham, turkey, and swiss cheese, then top with second slice of bread, uncooked side up. Close press or GF grill, and cook until browned. If using griddle and weight, apply weight to top of panino until browned, then turn over and repeat, if required. Cut panino diagonally, dust with powdered sugar, and serve with large dollop of strawberry preserves.

Excellent accompaniment would be a mixed berry salad with honey yogurt dressing and a strawberry flavored beverage, such as a Strawberry Julius or my aforementioned My Lady's Kiss cocktail, or maybe a glass of Strawberry Quick if you're so inclined.

lol @ Michael in FtW
MSN-Emoticon-155.gif

by the way, if you have neither a brick nor a cast iron skillet, a tea kettle filled with water works very nicely.

icon12.gif

philso said:
lol @ Michael in FtW
MSN-Emoticon-155.gif

by the way, if you have neither a brick nor a cast iron skillet, a tea kettle filled with water works very nicely.

icon12.gif

Your electric iron will work even better, but don't put it on a steam setting or the bread gets soggy.

Back
Top Bottom