"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps
Old 08-12-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Red face ISO Philly Cheese Steak recipe

Does anyone have a good recipe for "Philly Cheese steak",my son loves these - I can't seem to find the right meat. Thanks !

Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
Senior Cook
You can use a number of different meats, the main problem is getting it thin enough. Difficult for most to do by hand at home.

Jeff Smith recommends a ribeye steak. Put it in the freezer until ALMOST frozen. Then with a sharp knife you can shave off thin slices. This works well, has good flavor, but is a bit greasy for some tastes.

Cook's Illustrated recommends having your butcher shave slices about the thickness of a creddit card from a cheaper cut, round I think it was. I've had pretty good luck hand shaving a cooked top round roast rechilled in the fridge to firm up. I like this method because you can easily create a jus druing the cooking process. I like to add a tablespoon or so of the liquid to the onions and meat as they're cooking. Boosts the flavor I think.

The final thing is technique. The two spatula technique chops the meat further while cooking on the griddle. And it keeps the meat in motion to avoid from overcooking but mincing it up to create the texture.

thymeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:39 PM   #3
Head Chef

I use a frozen meat product called "Steak Eze" they're shaped sort of like hockey pucks. It's rib-eye, sliced thin, rolled and sliced again into the pucks.

I saute green pepper strips, onion slices and mushrooms in a little bit of oil, of course dust with a little kosher salt. When they soften push them aside and add the pucks. Season the meats with Woostershire sauce, salt, garlic - whatever floats your boat. Turn after about 4 minutes and begin to shape by squeezing them with tongs into an oblong shape to fit the buns.

Meanwhile I use outdoor rolls, halved, buttered and toasted in the broiler until brown. Turn the boiler off and place a layer of provelone cheese on the top half of each bun. We use provelone but I guess american cheese or velveeta are the usual.

Assemble the sandwiches and enjoy!

Everyone I've served these to have loved them - and DH asks for them more than once a week!

2 in Or
Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
lindatooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
Executive Chef
The steak needs to be shaved very thin...thus frozen product is easiest. It should be flopped on a hot griddle with the shaved onion and both should be cooked together...(peppers go with sausage, this is Phily cheese steak) salt pepper, chop with the spatula side to break is up even more. one school says let the grease mount up and use provolone slices, the other school ( across the street) says keep the meat and onion clean and schmear with real cheese wiz. The roll is real important...soft Italian sub roll. If you choose to add other stuff, and you may, remember, it will no longer be a Phily cheese steak.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:49 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
you could use a product called "steak-ums". very thin frozen slices of fatty beef. but they're kinda nasty.

you could always just get very thin sliced roast beef and cook it with onions and cheese.

edited to add: if you have an asian market nearby, especialy korean, you will find razor thin sliced frozen beef readily available.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:42 AM   #6
Head Chef
not hard to get a ribeye or a round frozen enough to slice it really thin. i did it perfectly on my first try.

no need to use that nasty frozen meat in a bag.
3..2..1.. HUSTLE! HUSTLE!
Mylegsbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:02 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
As a variation on a Philly cheesesteak, try a steak bomb.

Cook up the steak and onions. Green peppers and mushrooms are optional.

When it's time to add the cheese, first put a layer of genoa salami slices on top of the meat then add provolone cheese on top. Leave it on the grill until it's melting then scoop it into a sub roll. Outstanding!
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #8
Sous Chef
You guys sure know your cheesesteaks! I'm putting this in my profile for reference.
Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
Master Chef
I generally make it out of leftover steaks, which, at our house, would be ribeyes. We cook them rare, so there's no problem with them being overdone when we reheat them, and they slice very easily when they're cold.
I know Cheese Whiz is the standard, but I prefer either a mix of Velveeta Lite and mozzerella, or, my favorite, the provolone.
Often, when we have leftover steak, we have leftover grilled shrooms. If we do, I slice them and add them to the caramelized onions.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #10
Executive Chef
I've made Jeff Smith's Philly Cheesesteak recipe and it was really very good.

If anyone wants his recipe, I'll go find it.

Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote