ISO Philly Cheese Steak recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
Does anyone have a good recipe for "Philly Cheese steak",my son loves these - I can't seem to find the right meat. :ohmy: Thanks ! :)

You can use a number of different meats, the main problem is getting it thin enough. Difficult for most to do by hand at home.

Jeff Smith recommends a ribeye steak. Put it in the freezer until ALMOST frozen. Then with a sharp knife you can shave off thin slices. This works well, has good flavor, but is a bit greasy for some tastes.

Cook's Illustrated recommends having your butcher shave slices about the thickness of a creddit card from a cheaper cut, round I think it was. I've had pretty good luck hand shaving a cooked top round roast rechilled in the fridge to firm up. I like this method because you can easily create a jus druing the cooking process. I like to add a tablespoon or so of the liquid to the onions and meat as they're cooking. Boosts the flavor I think.

The final thing is technique. The two spatula technique chops the meat further while cooking on the griddle. And it keeps the meat in motion to avoid from overcooking but mincing it up to create the texture.

thymeless

I use a frozen meat product called "Steak Eze" they're shaped sort of like hockey pucks. It's rib-eye, sliced thin, rolled and sliced again into the pucks.

I saute green pepper strips, onion slices and mushrooms in a little bit of oil, of course dust with a little kosher salt. When they soften push them aside and add the pucks. Season the meats with Woostershire sauce, salt, garlic - whatever floats your boat. Turn after about 4 minutes and begin to shape by squeezing them with tongs into an oblong shape to fit the buns.

Meanwhile I use outdoor rolls, halved, buttered and toasted in the broiler until brown. Turn the boiler off and place a layer of provelone cheese on the top half of each bun. We use provelone but I guess american cheese or velveeta are the usual.

Assemble the sandwiches and enjoy!

Everyone I've served these to have loved them - and DH asks for them more than once a week!

gl

2 in Or

The steak needs to be shaved very thin...thus frozen product is easiest. It should be flopped on a hot griddle with the shaved onion and both should be cooked together...(peppers go with sausage, this is Phily cheese steak) salt pepper, chop with the spatula side to break is up even more. one school says let the grease mount up and use provolone slices, the other school ( across the street) says keep the meat and onion clean and schmear with real cheese wiz. The roll is real important...soft Italian sub roll. If you choose to add other stuff, and you may, remember, it will no longer be a Phily cheese steak.

you could use a product called "steak-ums". very thin frozen slices of fatty beef. but they're kinda nasty.

you could always just get very thin sliced roast beef and cook it with onions and cheese.

edited to add: if you have an asian market nearby, especialy korean, you will find razor thin sliced frozen beef readily available.

Last edited:
not hard to get a ribeye or a round frozen enough to slice it really thin. i did it perfectly on my first try.

no need to use that nasty frozen meat in a bag.

As a variation on a Philly cheesesteak, try a steak bomb.

Cook up the steak and onions. Green peppers and mushrooms are optional.

When it's time to add the cheese, first put a layer of genoa salami slices on top of the meat then add provolone cheese on top. Leave it on the grill until it's melting then scoop it into a sub roll. Outstanding!

You guys sure know your cheesesteaks! I'm putting this in my profile for reference.

I generally make it out of leftover steaks, which, at our house, would be ribeyes. We cook them rare, so there's no problem with them being overdone when we reheat them, and they slice very easily when they're cold.
I know Cheese Whiz is the standard, but I prefer either a mix of Velveeta Lite and mozzerella, or, my favorite, the provolone.
Often, when we have leftover steak, we have leftover grilled shrooms. If we do, I slice them and add them to the caramelized onions.

I've made Jeff Smith's Philly Cheesesteak recipe and it was really very good.

If anyone wants his recipe, I'll go find it.

I'm sorry, this is not what you are looking for but I remember it being a darned good sandwich.

PHILADELPHIA SOCIETY SANDWICH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 to 2 lb. sliced steak or beef

1 large round loaf Italian or French bread (I used rolls)

1/2 can pizza sauce

5 slices Provolone cheese

1 onion

jalapeno peppers to taste

Quickly brown sliced beef. Cut round bread in half
horizontally. Remove some of the soft bread to make room for
filling. Place beef on top of bottom half. Pour over pizza
sauce, layer on sliced cheese. Broil to melt cheese while you
saute onions. Top with jalapeno peppers and top crust. Slice
into 6 or 8 pieces.

Thanks to Jeff Smith the "Frugal Gourmet."

Humm ... I'm going to have to go browsing on the shelves ... I've got all 10 of The Frug's cookbooks ... and he really screwed up on the Philly Cheese Steak in one ... unless you read what he said - the first recipe he published was just a steak sandwich he got somewhere in Philly (bears NO resemblance to a Philly Cheese Steak) ... and in a later book he got it right - although he did want to debate the choice of "cheese". I had forgotten about this!

It was one of Jeff's faux pas ... like his suggestion to round out a meal of black-eyed peas with smoked ham-hocks with a "dinner salad and some rolls"?

buckytom said:
you could use a product called "steak-ums". very thin frozen slices of fatty beef. but they're kinda nasty.

HEY!!! I LOVE "Steak-ums"! Kind of expensive, though.

Any shaved steak, usually frozen, is great for cheesesteak subs.

Lee

Michael in FtW said:
It was one of Jeff's faux pas ... like his suggestion to round out a meal of black-eyed peas with smoked ham-hocks with a "dinner salad and some rolls"?

Sounds like some yankee thing that I'd do, too.

So, what, Michael? You'd have cornbread and a mess o'greens. Well, that would be okay, too. :)

Lee

QSis said:
HEY!!! I LOVE "Steak-ums"! Kind of expensive, though.

Any shaved steak, usually frozen, is great for cheesesteak subs.

Lee

*shudder* I can't even stand the smell of steak-ums cooking. My boys used to love them also. :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom