ISO roast beef-based sandwich ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I'm looking to make some good sandwiches based on roast beef this week. What are some recipes that I can try? any good ideas?

garlic-studded round cooked low-&-slow, very thin slices, horseradish sauce. (mayo, pepper, & horseradish, or grainy mustaard. toasty hearty rolls. au jus for dipping.

A dark bread like rye, multi-grain, pumpernickle, etc with Jalapeno Muenster and a little non-creamy cole slaw.

Or instead of the slaw, maybe use sauerkraut, horseradish (I prefer a Wasabi sauce), or the au jus as mentioned.

I make a jus using beef stock/broth with a bit of garlic, salt and pepper. I then take the thinly shaved beef and put it in the hot stock. This heats and moistens the meat and flavours the jus. If you have just cooked the roast then by all means start with the drippings. I use crusty rolls or ciabata buns and have mustard, mayo, etc on the table. I also often fry up some mushrooms and onions to put in the buns with the meat. I serve everything family style and let everyone do their own. Then have dipping bowls of jus for each. This was always a hit with our student borders!

I like roast beef on toasted sourdough with Outback's Tiger Dill Sauce.

Tiger Dill Sauce:
Sour cream
Prepared Horseradish (not the creamed)
Dill

Mix together sour cream and horseradish (two to one) and add some dill to taste. Sometimes I put in a few shakes of worcestershire. Some people can't take that much horseradish, so you may want to adjust. I love the stuff :).

Oh, I forgot the most basic off all. Leftover roast beef over bread and smothered in leftover gravy, with some fries on the side (also smothered in gravy).

Make it out of left-over boneless rib roast (rare), sliced thin, with mustard, provolone cheese and a dab of horseradish on a whole wheat bun. That's what we had last week, and it was delicious.

Oh, I forgot the most basic off all. Leftover roast beef over bread and smothered in leftover gravy, with some fries on the side (also smothered in gravy).

See my post two above yours. That's the way I love it. Open-faced to me is on bread, cut in half, separated a bit,with a big pile of mashed potatoes in the middle and everything covered in gravy. :pig::pig::pig:

Open-faced turkey and dressing is next in line! :chef:

See my post two above yours. That's the way I love it. Open-faced to me is on bread, cut in half, separated a bit,with a big pile of mashed potatoes in the middle and everything covered in gravy. :pig::pig::pig:

Open-faced turkey and dressing is next in line! :chef:

I just saw the meat and mashed potatoes, not the gravy. Sorry about that KE! Didn't mean to steal your thunder. :LOL::LOL:

I just saw the meat and mashed potatoes, not the gravy. Sorry about that KE! Didn't mean to steal your thunder. :LOL::LOL:

Hey, just don't steal my open-faced roast beef sandwich!!!! :pig:

I'm bad to assume that everyone should know that an open-faced roast beef sandwich comes laden with gravy! :LOL:

Don't forget Italian roast beef sandwiches. I never had one before I moved here, so I assume it's a Chicago specialty. Sort of like a French dip, but the broth is loaded with garlic and oregano and other Italian spices (I know someone who makes his by dumping a Good Seasons Italian dressing packet into a container of Swanson's beef broth) -- garlic, oregano, etc. Warm the thin sliced roast beef in the broth, put on the roll, with some of the broth on the side for dipping.

We have a recipe for what's called Italian Beef that is pretty good, spicy too.

1 LG Boneless chuck roast
1 Pkg Onion Soup Mix
1 can of beer
12 oz Beef Broth or stock
1 small jar of pepperocinis w/juice

Put it all in a crock pot in order given. Cook until beef shreds Hi, then Lo. Serve on hard rolls with Swiss, Motz, Provolone.

Our crock pot is in storage (as with just about all of our stuff it seems) and we laughed when Claire's sandwich idea reminded me of this and we now want to go buy another crock pot just so we can have this :rolleyes:

sour dough bread, sliced. layer thin cut roast beef, provolone cheese and whole mild green chilies from can. top with a slice of bread . butter each side and grill like a grilled cheese . my grandson calls it, gramas calif. roast beef. it is yummy

Blend a good tasty cheese with some mild onions and a touch of mayo, spread on bread, top with thin slices med rare beef, onion marmalade and fresh red onion slices.

Bliss. :)

I like my cold roast beef on crusty bread with harvati, horseradish mayo, red onion & romaine lettuce. I like hot roast beef on crusty bread with sauteed poblanos & onions & cholula sauce.

Hey, just don't steal my open-faced roast beef sandwich!!!! :pig:

I'm bad to assume that everyone should know that an open-faced roast beef sandwich comes laden with gravy! :LOL:

Mine comes with gravy, just not mashed potatoes. Fries on the side with more gravy, please!

Back
Top Bottom