ISO - Sandwich Rolls that can be cooked on a Flat Top.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martinibrothers

Assistant Cook
Hey all, I always see people on T.V. making bread dough and rolling it out into sandwich size pieces and frying them on a flat top or a saute pan. Its not like fried dough because when it cools they slice it and use it for paninis, pork sandwiches, etc. Anyone have a good recipe for something like that? thanks!

Tons of different cultures have what you're referring to - more or less what I'd call a flatbread. This is a very cool site that lists the various kinds of flatbreads & their origins with a brief description and then links to recipes for each!

If you find one that you particularly want to try, let us know. There's bound to be someone who's made them around here who can offer some advice and helpful hints.

Ohhh found this list too:

Africa
Injera (Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea)
Khubz (Morocco)
Ngome (Mali)

India/Sri Lanka
Bhakri
Chapati
Dosai
Naan
Pappad
Paratha
Puri
Roti

Mediterranean/Middle East
Aish Mehahra (Egypt)
Baladi (Egypt)
Barbari bread (Iran)
Lavash (Armenia)
Matzo (Israel)
Pita
Sangak (Iran)

China
Green onion pancakes
Sanchuisanda

Southeast Asia
Khanom buang (Thailand)
Roti canai (Malaysia)

Europe
Blintz/blini (Russia)
Ciabatta (Italy)
Crêpes (France)
Crisp Bread (Scandinavia)
Flatbrod (Norway)
Focaccia (Italy)
Lefse (Norway)
Oatcakes (Scotland)
Pane Carasau (Italy)
Pannekoek (The Netherlands)
Pfannkuchen (Germany)
Piadine (Italy)
Pizza (Italy)
Waffles (Belgium)

North America
Pancake

South & Central America
Arepa
Tortilla

Last edited:
I would make a pizza dough, let it rise once and then fry it on the flat top. That's what it looks like they did to me. I would check my TripleD cookbooks but they were losing contestants when I thinned the cookbook section in the house.

Thanks for the help! I always wanted to buy one of those cookbooks, you didnt like them?

It's not that I didn't like them, but in order to feed my cookbook addiction I have to thin them out as I have limited space to store them. :ROFLMAO: I've taken to getting free ones for my kindle just cuz I can and they don't fill up my bookcase.

Back
Top Bottom