List the Classics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grilled cheese, preferably with tomato soup
Hot roast beef, chicken, or turkey, with gravy and mashed potatoes like you got at the five-and-dime counter

Dressed or undressed? The first time I was asked that in NO I didn't know what they were talking about. My favorite is a fried oyster po-boy---dressed please.:chef: Dressed is lettuce, onions and tomatoes.

Dressed = mayonnaise (probably Blue Plate mayo), lettuce and tomatoes. But surely not onions on an oyster po-boy??:) (My favorite also!)

Bacon,egg and cheese on whole wheat toast
Corned beef on rye
Brie and pear on focaccia with arugula (pannini style)
Roast beef and swiss
Steak sandwich
western burger (aka onion ring with bbq sauce)
fish sandwich

Last edited:
Reuben
Grilled cheese on white bread
Egg Salad
Chicken Salad
BLT
Lobster Salad
:chef:
In spite of my childhood, no Italian sub. Have yet to find one with more filliing than bread.

Dressed = mayonnaise (probably Blue Plate mayo), lettuce and tomatoes. But surely not onions on an oyster po-boy??:) (My favorite also!)

Not heard of onion as part of being "dressed" either. Just don't forget the classic remoulade sauce/dressing which, IMO, makes the Po'Boy!:yum:

Not heard of onion as part of being "dressed" either. Just don't forget the classic remoulade sauce/dressing which, IMO, makes the Po'Boy!:yum:

I stand corrected about the onions, perhaps it's wishful thinking for "dressing" my oyster po-boy as I love onions. Yes, the remoulade sauce is a must! It's been a long time since I was in NO and enjoyed the best oyster po-boy ever. :yum:

Rye bread, bacon,green onions, a little mayo, chopped olives Worcestershire tasted. well buttered toast, sauteed mushrooms cuteed in butter salt and pepper and a dash of cream eaten while hot yum!!!! sour dough round the small one hollow it out and will with a mix of cream cheese, chipped beef, Worcestershire green onions sliced thin a little red bell pepper chopped fine save the bread from inside to use later heat the bread wrapped in foil in the oven til heated through then dig in be careful it's hot.Italian oil packed tuna, drained, mayo,chopped onion or chives, celery,splach of vinegarl mix and fill a french roll you've hollowed out with the tuna.
There must be more:LOL: I'm just tired trying to think of them.
kades

here's another it's lunch today, diced roasted chicken, chopped dates,chopped hazelnuts, crumbled bacon,mayo and several sliced or chopped chives. put on buttered white bread.
kades

Talking about sandwiches, a good "panino" with a boneless milanese veal cutlet, sprinkled with lemon juice, with a tablespoon of mayonnaise, some drops of tabasco, some leaves of lettuce.
Or a simple "pane e salame", bread and salami, BUT the salami must be absolutely superb, so I eat this only at home.

This obviously has morphed from what I thought was a request for what some folks though of as "classic" sandwiches, into what everyone's "favorite" sandwiches are. Let's face it guys, many of the sandwiches listed here aren't well-known "classics" by any stretch of the imagination.:rolleyes:

That said, for me, my favorite "classic" sandwiches would be:

Reuben - "real" corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, & Thousand Island dressing on seeded rye bread - grilled.

Traditional "Club Sandwich" - a variety of meats (always bacon as one) & cheeses, with lettuce & tomato stacked between 3 slices of toasted bread.

BLT - Bacon, lettuce, & tomato with mayo on toasted bread.

Tuna Salad/Egg Salad/Ham Salad/Chicken Salad - self-explanatory.

Po' Boys - Fried oyster, shrimp, or fish on tartar-sauce spreaded toasted baguettes.

There are, of course, many more "classics", but those are my favorites.

As far as "my" personal favorite sandwiches, apart from the above:

"Rachel" - same as the traditional "Reuben", but subbing in smoked turkey for the corned beef, & cole slaw for the sauerkraut. Very popular down here in the South. Didn't think I'd like it at first, but am now a fan.

Mashed sardines with sliced red onion & lettuce.

Limburger or Liederkranz cheese (which is now back on the market) with sliced sweet onion.

Roast beef with swiss cheese on white with mayo.

Turkey with swiss cheese on white with mayo.

Brie & smoked turkey with sun-dried tomatoes & lettuce on a crusty roll.

Fried or sauteed soft-shell crab with tartar or remoulade sauce & lettuce on a crusty roll.

Gee - I could really go on forever. Sandwich combinations are one of those "infinity" items.:)

Last edited:
This obviously has morphed from what I thought was a request for what some folks though of as "classic" sandwiches, into what everyone's "favorite" sandwiches are. Let's face it guys, many of the sandwiches listed here aren't well-known "classics" by any stretch of the imagination.:rolleyes:

Maybe not, but it's a great way to get inspiration/ideas.

I understand classics, I want to know what tastes good between 2 slices of bread to other folks. Something could always become a classic for me.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I understand classics, I want to know what tastes good between 2 slices of bread to other folks. Something could always become a classic for me.

+1

These all sound like classics to me, plus I learned some great combinations!

Hey, guys - I agree. Was just saying that the OP's thread & title was asking for "classic" sandwiches.

I've got DOZENS of great sandwich combos, but none of them would fit the "classic" genre.

If the OP doesn't care, then neither do I. Was just attempting to steer the topic back to its original purpose.

Last edited:
Hey, guys - I agree. Was just saying that the OP's thread & title was asking for "classic" sandwiches.

I've got DOZENS of great sandwich combos, but none of them would fit the "classic" genre.

If the OP doesn't care, then neither do I. Was just attempting to steer the topic back to its original purpose.
I think Chief would have jumped in here if he had a problem with how the thread was going. I understand you concern but no need everyone seems happy and content and busy picking up ideas. Lets all enjoy.You yourself have given me several ideas. Thanks,;)
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom