Little Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I made a very small change in a common sandwich today. That small change really made a big difference in flavor.

Sandwich - Grilled Cheese
Ingredients:
2 slices whole wheat bread
2 slices Velveeta Cheese
Smoked Paprika
Butter

Heat pan until water dances. Butter one slice of bread. Butter second slice and place on the other slice so that the buttered sides meat. Slice Velveeta to cover bread. Place the cheese onto the un=buttered side of the top bread slice. Sprinkle on a generous amount of smoked paprika. Separate the two bread slices, and place the first one butter-side down on the hot griddle. Place the other slice butter-side up, on top of the bread and cheese already in the pan. cover with a lid and cook about a minute. Remove the lid and flip the sandwich. Cover and cook another minute. If the heat is right, both sides should be golden brown, and the cheese melted.

Your first bite will tell you that this is different. Of course you can use whatever kind of cheese you like in your sandwich. I'm thinking that this smoked paprika thing could be great on a host of sandwiches. Hmmmm.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North

We always put tomato on the grilled cheese sandwich. It really kicks it up.
In fact, if I have no tomato, I have no grilled cheese.

There was a fishing pier in Davie Fl. There was a luncheonette on it in the 70's and 80's.
They had a couple breakfast items and a limited lunch menu.
This is where I learned to love grilled cheese with tomato.

Make sandwich as usual, but add a slice or two of good fresh tomato. A little salt and pepper. Try one. Much better than just with cheese!

Hmmm......smoked paprika. I think that would be perfect on my favorite grilled cheese. Cheddar, back bacon, tomato and a thin slice of onion. And instead of buttering the outside of each slice of bread, I spread a layer of mayo.

Wow! am definitely going to have to try that! Paprika on the cheese sounds wonderful, especially smoked!

I have several versions that I do

with tomato and bacon (or just tomato or just bacon and yes onion too!)

with swiss cheese and apple (think granny smith)

with.... Jam!

think the expression on my face the first time I had it with jam would have won a contest. I was not told nor expecting it. But it was good! this was back in the early 60's when 'sliced cheese' was not on the market - good old velveeta brick was the common cheese used then.

Last edited:
We always put tomato on the grilled cheese sandwich. It really kicks it up.
In fact, if I have no tomato, I have no grilled cheese.

There was a fishing pier in Davie Fl. There was a luncheonette on it in the 70's and 80's.
They had a couple breakfast items and a limited lunch menu.
This is where I learned to love grilled cheese with tomato.

Make sandwich as usual, but add a slice or two of good fresh tomato. A little salt and pepper. Try one. Much better than just with cheese!
Try adding thinly sliced rings of onion, along with the tomato. I learned that at a diner. They served it on whole wheat bread and called it an Alphonse special. Stirling doesn't like tomato, so nowadays I put salsa instead of the tomato. That works well too.

Smoked paprika sounds interesting, but why stop there? Maybe a Fontina and sauteed mushroom grilled cheese sprinkled with tarragon. Cheddar with cayenne pepper. Swiss with caraway seed and smoked salt. The possibilities are endless! Just so long as none of us end up with cardiac arrest from all the cheese. :ermm:

I like tomato on grilled cheese if it's American cheese. When I worked in an office building that had a cafeteria I would order grilled cheese every once in a while. The best one was a surprise the first time...they had just grilled onions for someone else's burger and my bread landed on grilled onion juice. It was wonderful! Now sometimes I'll grill up onions for Himself's grilled cheese sammy, then fry out my sandwich first in the onion drippings. Just enough of a taste without having the onion...and it's ensuing gas issues for me. :D

Back
Top Bottom