"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps
Old 01-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
Executive Chef
A place in Inglewood California years and years ago called Andy's Torpedo sandwiches is my favorite place to remember fondly for a once incredible sammie. Those things were huge and they offered your choice of Italian meats and Italian cheese, your choice, the more ingredients you ordered the price went up. They each had name that denoted what was in there and when you finally got up to the front of the line, you ordered your favorite sans naming all the ingredients.

I was little and they were so big, you had to make two meals out of it, at least I did. My favorite was the Capicolla and Mortadella with provalone, and their signature sauce made the Torpedo. They sold it by the bottle already made up. There wasn't the standard choice of mayo or mustard or worse {?}.
They closed up many years ago and I've never had anything that even comes close. A boyI had a huge crush on in high school used to drive there and then put one on my front porch wrapped in a brown [like flower box with a red bow. I knew when I opened the door and saw that box, I was in for a treat. It was 30 miles one way, he knew the way to a girls heart, or a girl who loved these special torpedo's. It worked every time. He would sometimes say out of nowhere, "let's take a drive today after school." We'd end up in Inglewood where we'd stand in line for his first choice, something way too big and way too complicated.

Thanks for the memory of reliving a special time in my life.

...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote