Need help with this sandwich....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DC4MVP

Assistant Cook
Over the years, I've come to really enjoy a sandwich that I've only had twice in my life. Only two restaurants have carried it.

Here's what it is:

It's a simple club sandwich but they do something with the bread in form of breading it with graham cracker crumbs and deep frying it.

One restaurant describes it as: "A graham cracker encased Triple Decker club made with ham, turkey, cheese and mayo, deep fried and served"

That was from an independant resturant near Duluth, MN.

Grandma's had the exact same thing and they called it "The Full Monty"

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and know where to get a recipe for this amazing sandwich?

I have never heard of it but, wow does it sound interesting. Would love to know if you find it and how it's done so that the graham doesn't fall off.

doesn't sound like you need a recipe, just dip it (the sandwich, held together with a couple of toothpicks) in egg then into the crumbs and fry. I've never heard of it, but have heard of it done with crushed potato chips. (Monte Cristo)

LOL I've never heard of the potato chips. The cristos I've had have just been dipped in egg and deep fried.

It's just a Monte Cristo coated in graham, not to appealing to me, but everyones palate is different...

the full sandwich, like a monte cristo
how-to monte cristo sandwich - Google Search

See, I'm not sure. From the wording of the original post, they state that its a club sammy with something different done to the bread. However, they go on to quote a restaurant description of "deep fried".

If its just the bread then it would seem to be a style of french toast used as sammy bread but if its the whole thing then its just a variation of a Monty.

I would be intruiged by the french toast style cold club sammy but I would avoid the full Monty.

I don't think I am right or wrong. I am just asking for clarification from the OP. Sorry about the 'sammy' stuff, its a personal household phrase.

Seems kinda like a Monte Cristo.

It's been 5-6 years since I've had this amazing sandwich so I don't remember if the entire thing is fried or just the bread.

But I imagine that it'd just be regular bread...maybe sourdough dipped in egg then coated with graham cracker then thrown in a deep fryer or pan.

Maybe I can e-mail the independent restaurant and see if they'd be willing to share how they cook it.

For those who still care, I found a decent recipe to make this sammy:

Ingredients:

1 quart oil for frying, or as needed
2/3 cup milk
2 eggs
8 slices white bread
4 slices Swiss cheese
4 slices turkey
4 slices ham
2 packs Graham Cracker

-Heat 5 inches of oil in a deep-fryer to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C). While oil is heating, make the batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Set aside in the refrigerator. Crumble graham cracker onto a plate. Set aside.

-Assemble sandwiches by placing one slice of turkey on one slice of bread, a slice of ham on another, then sandwich them with the Swiss cheese in the middle. Cut sandwiches into quarters, and secure with toothpicks.

-Dip each sandwich quarter in the milk/eggs then throughly coat sandwich in crumbled graham cracker so that all sides are coated. Deep fry in the hot oil until golden brown on all sides. Remove toothpicks and arrange on a serving tray.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom