"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 02-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
One of the hospitals I worked for had a sandwich shop at the doctor's building next door. My favorite sandwich there was a "Veggie". It was a bagel (I would order plain sometimes, whole wheat at other times), split and toasted, with low fat cream cheese, cucumber, tomato, red onion, sprouts and lettuce. I would sometimes go wild and order it with a couple of strips of bacon. It was the most delicious sandwich. I now make my own version using the thin bagels you can get at the store.
Sounds like a good variation to a similiar menu item we feature called a "Garden Wrap". I grill a flour tortilaa with roasted red pepper garlic spice, then spread with sunndried tomato fresh vegetable cream cheese & add chopped granny smith apples, romaine hearts. tomato, cucmber & chopped fresh broccoli. We have recently started using the bagel flats & they have been starting to take off too. Thanks for your input!!!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #22
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I saw some vegetarian suggestions made and have to say as a vegetarian, I never order wraps. The tortillas often have lard in them and frankly I don't need the fat that a tortilla usually has..

How about using that bread you make to leverage a loaded bruschetta heavy appetizer plate? A dice of fresh tomatoes, herbs, etc on toasted garlicky bread is awesome. You could include other items or substitute instead.. smoke mussels or smoked salmon and a chunk of goat cheese, etc. A nice olive tapinade, etc.

How about a ploughmans lunch?

Greek wedding soup and a chunk of spanikopita?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #23
Senior Cook

No wonder you sell a lot of cookies and pies! With that background, you might really do well with homemade bagels and homemade pitas.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

All great ideas. Brushetta I use for appetizers for catering. Nice idea to add the salmon or mussels.Unfortunately for cafe specials mussels & salmon are not cost effective. Everything is made to order with a 2-3 minute turn around ticket time.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #25
Senior Cook

With Lent coming up, you might think about a "fish on Friday" offering. Even Chick FilA sells fish sandwiches on Fridays in Lent in many parts of the country: shrimp or oyster po'boy; a sandwich version of the Niçoise salad; or a salmon salad sandwich.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraC View Post
With Lent coming up, you might think about a "fish on Friday" offering. Even Chick FilA sells fish sandwiches on Fridays in Lent in many parts of the country: shrimp or oyster po'boy; a sandwich version of the Niçoise salad; or a salmon salad sandwich.
I really like the salmon salad sandwich idea. We always offer as variety of seafood options during lent. Seafood smothered nacho's I've tried somr different baked fishes but there is so much loss when you don't use it.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #27
Senior Cook

I'm beginning to get a sense of your style. What about cheese panini with a dipping sauce: mozzarella panini, with a marinara dipping sauce, swiss with a ham chutney dipping sauce, monterey jack with a pico de gallo dipping sauce; brie with a pecan butter?
Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I'm not vegetarian, but "Meatless Mondays" seems to be pretty popular right now.

Simonbaker-I don't know where your shop is, but I want to come visit! It sounds awesome!!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraC View Post
I'm beginning to get a sense of your style. What about cheese panini with a dipping sauce: mozzarella panini, with a marinara dipping sauce, swiss with a ham chutney dipping sauce, monterey jack with a pico de gallo dipping sauce; brie with a pecan butter?
I do not have a panni grill but I really like your style. Please elaborate on your ham chutney dipping sauce.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:09 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
I'm not vegetarian, but "Meatless Mondays" seems to be pretty popular right now.

Simonbaker-I don't know where your shop is, but I want to come visit! It sounds awesome!!
We are in Sioux Falls S.D
The meatless monday is a catchy idea. Thanks!

Tags
lunch