Need ideas for lunch special sandwiches & entrees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was in college, our student center had a deli in the basement and while their sandwiches were ok, it was the spinach pesto spread they used that was to die for. I am a mayo fanatic but with the spread, you didn't need anything else. When I asked how they made it, they said it was just pesto made with spinach instead if basil. I make it periodically to add to our lunches when we need a change. Might be a healthy addition /option to any of your sandwiches.

That spinach pesto sounds wonderful to me too. Did it also have pine nuts like traditional pesto?

Wonderful idea, thank you! Love spinach and the oil should be a better choice than mayo! Last better in a Bento, too!:)

It lasts wonderfully which is why I love it. I eat lunch almost everyday in my car and while I use a cooler, I try to steer clear of mayo in late spring and fall. I don't have to worry about this going bad.

That spinach pesto sounds wonderful to me too. Did it also have pine nuts like traditional pesto?

I have a feeling they used almonds simply because I don't remember there being a strong pine nut flavor. I use pine nuts because I love them!

That sound really good. I will experiment with it & try it for a special next week.....Thanks!

It lasts wonderfully which is why I love it. I eat lunch almost everyday in my car and while I use a cooler, I try to steer clear of mayo in late spring and fall. I don't have to worry about this going bad.

Mine sits in an insulated bag in my desk, with a couple of ice packs. I steer clear of anything that could go over, too!

Thanks for the idea, I found several recipes and have incorporated what I like the best out of all of them into my own recipe:

Spinach Pesto or Ogre Goo

1/2 pound Spinach, rinsed and shaken dry
2 cloves of minced garlic
1/4 cup crushed walnuts (toasted if you like)
1/3 cup favorite vegetable oil
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1 tablespoon lemon zest

Puree all in food processor or blender...add water or lemon juice to thin if needed.

It sounds great! I will try the spinach pesto in a wrap or on flatbread with red onion, marinated chicken breast & smoked provolne.. Hence...A special is made. Thanks!
I luv this DC network!

My favorite grilled cheese sandwich: Havarti, fresh tomato, and dill. It's also great on a half bagel with a thin spread of cream cheese under it. I love making a spread for wraps of avocado, finely chopped onion, and cream cheese. It goes especially well with turkey or chicken, sprouts, cucumber, etc. When summer produce is available, you could do a salad made up of greens, strawberries, sweet apples, pecans (plain or candied), and goat cheese, serve it with a simple mixture of orange, lime, and lemon juices and a little black pepper as the dressing, or an actual citrus vinaigrette. It's a bit of a sugar shock though, even with the cheese, so it can be topped with grilled chicken or with tuna (it's better with fresh grilled tuna, but as you mentioned the cost of fish for you, canned actually tastes pretty great on this one, too.)

Sounds like you serve some pretty yummy stuff already! If I lived in your city, I'd stop by!

My favorite grilled cheese sandwich: Havarti, fresh tomato, and dill. It's also great on a half bagel with a thin spread of cream cheese under it. I love making a spread for wraps of avocado, finely chopped onion, and cream cheese. It goes especially well with turkey or chicken, sprouts, cucumber, etc. When summer produce is available, you could do a salad made up of greens, strawberries, sweet apples, pecans (plain or candied), and goat cheese, serve it with a simple mixture of orange, lime, and lemon juices and a little black pepper as the dressing, or an actual citrus vinaigrette. It's a bit of a sugar shock though, even with the cheese, so it can be topped with grilled chicken or with tuna (it's better with fresh grilled tuna, but as you mentioned the cost of fish for you, canned actually tastes pretty great on this one, too.)

Sounds like you serve some pretty yummy stuff already! If I lived in your city, I'd stop by!

I must be feeling better, your grilled cheese sounds great!

I love the avocado spread ideas for wraps. I will definitely try it out. The salad I do a similiar one in the summer when the produce is better. In the fall/winter months I top the salad with mandaran oranges, craisins, candied hazelnuts, plum tomatoes, yellow squash & baby carrots. During lent I have topprd it with yellow fin grilled tuna but marinated chicken or sirloin are more popular. Great ideas! Please keep them coming..

In the fall/winter months I top the salad with mandaran oranges, craisins, candied hazelnuts, plum tomatoes, yellow squash & baby carrots. During lent I have topprd it with yellow fin grilled tuna but marinated chicken or sirloin are more popular. Great ideas! Please keep them coming..
That sounds wonderful! I'll have to try that out! What do you dress it with?

I make a homemade poppy seed dressing with mayo, sour cream, honey, marashino cherry juice, fresh garlic & a hint of horseradish & cayene pepper & of course poppy seed. I have also made berry vinaigerettes. Balsamic is'nt a real popular one here.

Some brilliant sarnie recipes, I will not embarrass myself by adding my humble trencher and may I say how proud I am of an ex colony and its serfs for taking up the chalice of Monty the 4th Earl of Sandwich, lets all cry a sandwich a sandwich my kindom for a sandwich or to be more accurate, I will have what Monty is eating;):):LOL:

sandwiches

My husband & I own a small cafe. We are located inside a gym type setting. We have a salad bar, homemade soups & 2 specials daily. We are only open 8-3 m-f. We try to put healthy options out there but honestly we sell more chocolate chip cookies & coconut cream pie. We do alot of wraps, flatbreads & low carb options. We don't have an outside sighn or seperate entrance. The cafe is mostly limited to members. Although our catering does real well.
My question is does anyone have any unique sanwich ideas or entree special ideas. Your imput would be most appreciated.

I realize that my sandwich is not low-fat but it is a nice sandwich and people love it. I buy a loaf of unsliced bakery bread (anykind) But not too rounded. I slice lengthwise into three sections. I butter bread before adding a layer of chicken salad, a layer of egg salad, and a layer of ham salad. I put layers together and frost entire loaf with softened cream cheese and a dash of milk for spreading consistency. I garnish with fresh parsley. And, chill. The slices are pretty and tasty. It actually looks like a cake. (An attention drawing sandwich for sure) I used to make it and put in my husband's lunch. The guys would tease him and say I made him a wedding cake for lunch. He didn't mind the teasing. He loved it!:chef:

what about cheese blintzes....they can be made in advance and put in the fridge, then either fried or baked and served with sour cream and/or some fruit.

Sounds good. I have done something similiar but cut into short, wide strips for finger sandwich's on hors de veours parties. Put a frilled toothpick through them with a plum tomato or queen green olive.

What are blintzes? We don't have a deep fryer (The 1st kitchen I've ever worked in 30 years without one, sometimes kind of a nice change.) But we do have a couple of good ovens.

Look up Blintzes in a Jewish Cookbood. You do not need a deep fryer for them.
They are made with a thin crepe-like cover. They have cottage cheese put in them, rolled up and then fried or baked. Very deelish!!!

CHEESE BLINTZES
Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,2318,155176-238207,00.html
Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

BATTER:

2 eggs
1 cup milk or water (milk makes a more tender shell)
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sifted flour

Beat eggs well and add salt. Add flour all at once. Add milk gradually and beat to a smooth batter. This will make a very thin batter.

CHEESE FILLING FOR BLINTZES:

1 pound dry cottage cheese or Farmers Cheese
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
1 egg yolk
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 oz. pkg. cream cheese

Equal parts of Cottage Cheese and Cream Cheese may be used, if desired, but we prefer Farmers Cheese when it is available.
Melt butter in a skillet. Pour in 2 tablespoons of batter, swirling around to make a circle.
Fry until lightly brown on bottom and turn out on waxed or parchment paper, browned side up. Fill pancakes with a tablespoon of cheese filling; fold over from both sides and then into envelope shape.
Just before serving, fry in a little butter in a hot skillet until a golden brown on all sides.
Serve hot with sour cream or applesauce, or cinnamon and sugar, or fruit preserves. Makes 12 blintzes. Blintzes freeze well.

Cranberry Salsa is also very nice. You basically make cranberry sauce (I cut the sugar) but you add chopped onion, hot peppers, cumin, corriander, and lime juice (if you wish). Very nice on turkey or chicken sandwiches.

It sounds great! I will try the spinach pesto in a wrap or on flatbread with red onion, marinated chicken breast & smoked provolne.. Hence...A special is made. Thanks!
I luv this DC network!

Sounds delicious! I would come by for your special if you were in my town!

Back
Top Bottom