"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 02-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #31
Master Chef

One shortcut is to make a mufalletta type dressing, and you can use it to flavor a bunch of different things; topping for sandwiches, tossed with pasta, spread on a pre-made crust for a type of pizza, use in salad dressings.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
One shortcut is to make a mufalletta type dressing, and you can use it to flavor a bunch of different things; topping for sandwiches, tossed with pasta, spread on a pre-made crust for a type of pizza, use in salad dressings.
this may be a dumb question but what is a mufaletta type dressing?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Muffuletta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thank you for educating me on muffuletta. We make our honey wheat bread from scratch in our cafe. I have used some flatbreads, pita's, croissants & wraps. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I do not have a panni grill but I really like your style. Please elaborate on your ham chutney dipping sauce.
I was just riffing on cheeses and traditional companions. Ham and Swiss seemed to go together. To make ham into a dipping sauce, you need to make it into a relish. All chutney is is a condiment composed of balanced strong tastes; ham is the salty component. My first thought was a peach or mango base with diced hot pepper and ham bits (sweet/hot/salty). You could also do pineapple, ginger, and ham. Plum, black mustard seeds and ham would work, I think.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #36
Master Chef

A mufalleta is a popular New Orleans sandwich made on a large round loaf of bread, cut horizontally, then filled with multiple layers of various deli meats and cheese slices. The top is sometimes hollowed out a bit to fit in extra amounts of the topping.

It is dressed with a "relish" (for lack of a better word) made from chopped olives (at least a couple of kinds), olive oil (I sometimes use an Italian type salad dressing), peppers (roasted red and pepperocini are good), onions, garlic. I don't use a recipe, but I'm sure you can find many in cookbooks and on line. I make mine in the food processor, but you don't want it too finely chopped. One version I can buy in a local guy has artichoke hearts in it as well. But as I said, it goes really well on any number of dishes, and you can make up a large batch and use for a myriad of dishes.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

One of our favorite sandwiches is sourdough bread spread with butter on both sides with a little dijon and mayo mixed together put a nice piece of pepper jack on inside top with panko dusted chicken breast grilled and very thin top with more pepper jack then a mix with roasted finley chopped roma tomatoes,some red or yellow onion, cilantro now grill til cheese is melted. Great dunked in a chowder, say creamy tomato or even ministrone. chicken, potato
kades
Old 03-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraC View Post
I was just riffing on cheeses and traditional companions. Ham and Swiss seemed to go together. To make ham into a dipping sauce, you need to make it into a relish. All chutney is is a condiment composed of balanced strong tastes; ham is the salty component. My first thought was a peach or mango base with diced hot pepper and ham bits (sweet/hot/salty). You could also do pineapple, ginger, and ham. Plum, black mustard seeds and ham would work, I think.
Those are some really great ideas that I might be able to use. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Those are some really great ideas that I might be able to use. Thanks.
Enjoy! Playing with food is a great and safe pleasure.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #40
Head Chef

I don't have a recipe, but I like eggplant sandwiches, both hot and cold, cooked with marinara and topped with mozzarella. Could be good for "Meatless Monday."

Tags
lunch