"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 03-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #41
Head Chef

You could try individual lasagna rolls or jumbo stuffed shells.

Israeli couscous is always good for the "wow" factor and is fabulous with some simple roasted tomatoes, roasted garlic and a bit of parm. But it could really be dressed up with a million different flavors.

Do you make soups? Because when I used to do lunch I was always a fan of soup and half a sandwich. =) It made me feel virtuous somehow. And soups have the added bonus of usually being unfussy to prepare.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #42
Head Chef

It sounds like you need a quick turn around time. There are so many things you can make that are healthy and different. You got so many ideas already and I am sure you can use some of them. Here are a few more:

I had shared a recipe on Allrecipes for a thai noodle salad that could work for you. Lots of fresh veggies - cabbage, carrots, bell peppers and you can also add shrimp or chicken to it. Use egg noodles with that or anything that is thin and you can break it up, cook and reserve.

Sauce is made with soy, sugar, sesame oil, peanut butter, tahini, lime juice. You can change that and add whatever you like the taste of (keep it more asian). You have the dressing ready and you mix it with the veggies and cooked chicken as the orders come, sprinkle with sesame seeds (black), fresh cilantro, green onions, chopped peanuts (if people have peanut allergy then they won't order) and serve.

Pocket Pita's are great and can be stuffed with all sorts of ingredients, you can make them vegetarian (garden, falafel, baba ghanoush, tofu/oriental etc.) or non veg (chicken tikka, creole type shrimp, kebabs or shwarma etc.).

Finally salads are great. Not your standard ones but differet salads made with beans - so garbanzo salad, lentil salad, sprouted moong bean salad. I have so many of these recipes, it's hard to post them all but given I eat a lot of beans that's the first thing that comes to my mind. Chickpeas can be given a middle eastern twist in one salad and an indian twist in another one and same for the lentils and moong beans. You can serve them as a side to a sandwich or people can choose for assorted salad paired with some type of bread.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #43
Half Baked

How about offering some quiches or tortas or whatever you want to call them. Prebaked and presliced...just toss in the micro.
Eggs are great protein.

What about instant Oatmeal with your choice of protein powder and a few topping options for the early crowd. (I like the cookies and cream flavor in mine and some trail mix)

My favorite wrap is grilled b/s chicken,red onion,julienne carrot,red leaf lettuce,cucumber and an asian dressing.

Homemade protein bars might sell well too.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #44
Senior Cook

My favorite is a grilled sandwich at a local Italian place, They use their homemade thick cut Italian bread and brush it with olive oil and fill it with turkey, provalone, lettuce, tomato, hot peppers and mayo, and then they grill it to perfection. I get it with a cup of the chicken pastine, and have a fab lunch for about 7 bucks with a drink. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
You could try individual lasagna rolls or jumbo stuffed shells.

Israeli couscous is always good for the "wow" factor and is fabulous with some simple roasted tomatoes, roasted garlic and a bit of parm. But it could really be dressed up with a million different flavors.

Do you make soups? Because when I used to do lunch I was always a fan of soup and half a sandwich. =) It made me feel virtuous somehow. And soups have the added bonus of usually being unfussy to prepare.
We have 2 soups daily. Mostly all the traditional ones around here:Chicken wild rice, Veg. Bf., Fresh tomato basil, potato & ham, chicken tortilla, clam chowder, chicken dumpling, chicken noodle & frsh vegetable bisque. The isreli coucous sounds very interesting. Please elaborate. We cater alot of soups for clinics & hospitals too.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanabox View Post
My favorite is a grilled sandwich at a local Italian place, They use their homemade thick cut Italian bread and brush it with olive oil and fill it with turkey, provalone, lettuce, tomato, hot peppers and mayo, and then they grill it to perfection. I get it with a cup of the chicken pastine, and have a fab lunch for about 7 bucks with a drink. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
Sounds like a great sandwich. I would love to hear more about the chicken pastine.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
How about offering some quiches or tortas or whatever you want to call them. Prebaked and presliced...just toss in the micro.
Eggs are great protein.

What about instant Oatmeal with your choice of protein powder and a few topping options for the early crowd. (I like the cookies and cream flavor in mine and some trail mix)

My favorite wrap is grilled b/s chicken,red onion,julienne carrot,red leaf lettuce,cucumber and an asian dressing.

Homemade protein bars might sell well too.
Thanks for your input. We offer ham & swiss or italian sausage & sundried tomato quiche on on our regular menu. We also offer a bacon 3 cheese egg bake that has no carb.'s.
We make oatmeal to order & top with raisins, walnuts & brown sugar. I also do acouple different breakfast wraps & a breafast sandwich, grilled, onour made from scratch honey wheat bread.
The wrap sounds good. I would love to hear more about the asian dressing.
We have a special k bar available. Probably high in sugar & fat but we did the math with the peanut butter & there's 10 grams of protein per bar. It's kind of as standing joke about being to healthy but we sell alot of them. We also have a blended whey protein shake. 44 grams of protein, Fresh/frozen fruit blended with skim milk, crushed ice & protein powder.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #48
Executive Chef

I enjoy a toasted bagel with cream cheese and sugar free blackberry jam. Yummy!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
It sounds like you need a quick turn around time. There are so many things you can make that are healthy and different. You got so many ideas already and I am sure you can use some of them. Here are a few more:

I had shared a recipe on Allrecipes for a thai noodle salad that could work for you. Lots of fresh veggies - cabbage, carrots, bell peppers and you can also add shrimp or chicken to it. Use egg noodles with that or anything that is thin and you can break it up, cook and reserve.

Sauce is made with soy, sugar, sesame oil, peanut butter, tahini, lime juice. You can change that and add whatever you like the taste of (keep it more asian). You have the dressing ready and you mix it with the veggies and cooked chicken as the orders come, sprinkle with sesame seeds (black), fresh cilantro, green onions, chopped peanuts (if people have peanut allergy then they won't order) and serve.

Pocket Pita's are great and can be stuffed with all sorts of ingredients, you can make them vegetarian (garden, falafel, baba ghanoush, tofu/oriental etc.) or non veg (chicken tikka, creole type shrimp, kebabs or shwarma etc.).

Finally salads are great. Not your standard ones but differet salads made with beans - so garbanzo salad, lentil salad, sprouted moong bean salad. I have so many of these recipes, it's hard to post them all but given I eat a lot of beans that's the first thing that comes to my mind. Chickpeas can be given a middle eastern twist in one salad and an indian twist in another one and same for the lentils and moong beans. You can serve them as a side to a sandwich or people can choose for assorted salad paired with some type of bread.

I like the idea withj the asian sauce. As a matter of fact I'm doing a asian chicken stir fry on special tommorrow. what is tahini?
Anything with cabbage & beans is a hard sell for lunch. Personally I love it .Alot of the customers have to right back to the office. Alot of our clientelle is doctors, lawyers, financial consultants & brokers.

We do some pita specials occasionaly but they are,nt huge sellers.
Thanks for your input.
We do a few pita's but they are,nt a huge seller.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Roast beef and cranberries go well together. Have you ever made onion jam? it is very nice on baguettes with most meats....

Tags
lunch