"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 03-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #51
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Cheese and Nacho Cheese soups...those are good. I love Nacho Cheese soup with Chicken Taquitos.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

How do you make your chicken toquitoes?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #53
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

3 tablespoons pulled white meat chicken cooked in verde sauce and rolled into the 6 inch corn tortillas, deep fry (or pan fry) until crisp. I always served 2 taquitos with a 12 oz bowl of Nacho Cheese soup.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
3 tablespoons pulled white meat chicken cooked in verde sauce and rolled into the 6 inch corn tortillas, deep fry (or pan fry) until crisp. I always served 2 taquitos with a 12 oz bowl of Nacho Cheese soup.
Sounds good.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #55
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Sounds like a great sandwich. I would love to hear more about the chicken pastine.
Their pastine is great. It is in a wonderfully flavored chicken stock that is homemade for sure. There is plenty of pasta, and always some carrots and celery thrown in. It also has fresh parsley over the top.I can't remember if there is chicken in it, to my memory it is only in a chicken stock but I can't be sure. It reminds me of a soup I used to get when I was a kid with my mom at our favorite sandwich shop. The soup is fantastic. They sell it by the gallon which I am almost tempted to get!

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #56
Head Chef

When I was in college, our student center had a deli in the basement and while their sandwiches were ok, it was the spinach pesto spread they used that was to die for. I am a mayo fanatic but with the spread, you didn't need anything else. When I asked how they made it, they said it was just pesto made with spinach instead if basil. I make it periodically to add to our lunches when we need a change. Might be a healthy addition /option to any of your sandwiches.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #57
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
When I was in college, our student center had a deli in the basement and while their sandwiches were ok, it was the spinach pesto spread they used that was to die for. I am a mayo fanatic but with the spread, you didn't need anything else. When I asked how they made it, they said it was just pesto made with spinach instead if basil. I make it periodically to add to our lunches when we need a change. Might be a healthy addition /option to any of your sandwiches.

Wonderful idea, thank you! Love spinach and the oil should be a better choice than mayo! Last better in a Bento, too!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanabox View Post
Their pastine is great. It is in a wonderfully flavored chicken stock that is homemade for sure. There is plenty of pasta, and always some carrots and celery thrown in. It also has fresh parsley over the top.I can't remember if there is chicken in it, to my memory it is only in a chicken stock but I can't be sure. It reminds me of a soup I used to get when I was a kid with my mom at our favorite sandwich shop. The soup is fantastic. They sell it by the gallon which I am almost tempted to get!
Can you tell what it's seasoned with? Garlic, rosemary or thyme. Is it a little spicey at all?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #59
Head Chef

Tahini is ground sesame seeds ~ so think almond, cashew or peanut butter ~ used in hummus. (And I'm sure other things as well that I'm unaware of!)

Here's my all time favorite Israeli couscous recipe:

Israeli Couscous
from Whole Grain Gourmet

2 teaspoons butter
2 1/4 cups pearl (Israeli) couscous (12 oz)
1 3/4 cups chicken broth (14 fl oz)
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
1/2 one lemon zested
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup parmagiano reggiano cheese, grated
1 tablespoon olive oil
1+ cup grape tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350.

On a small pan pour the olive oil and arrange the garlic cloves and the grape tomatoes. Roast until tomatoes start to burst, about 20-25 min. Mash garlic cloves to a paste.

Meanwhile on the stove melt the butter and toast the couscous until golden brown almost all over. Keep a close eye on it. Add broth, water, and salt and simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and couscous is al dente, 10 to 12 minutes.

Remove from heat and add the mashed garlic and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and olive oil, stir. Toss in parsley, zest and the lemon juice. Let sit for 5 min off the heat then toss parmigiano and serve.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #60
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Can you tell what it's seasoned with? Garlic, rosemary or thyme. Is it a little spicey at all?

I think just the parsley, celery and carrots and maybe a little garlic. It is the stock that is what makes the soup. It is fantastic. I am pretty sure that they must have some root veggies in their stock, it just doesn't make it into the bowl.

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lunch