"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 03-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #61
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
When I was in college, our student center had a deli in the basement and while their sandwiches were ok, it was the spinach pesto spread they used that was to die for. I am a mayo fanatic but with the spread, you didn't need anything else. When I asked how they made it, they said it was just pesto made with spinach instead if basil. I make it periodically to add to our lunches when we need a change. Might be a healthy addition /option to any of your sandwiches.
That spinach pesto sounds wonderful to me too. Did it also have pine nuts like traditional pesto?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #62
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Wonderful idea, thank you! Love spinach and the oil should be a better choice than mayo! Last better in a Bento, too!
It lasts wonderfully which is why I love it. I eat lunch almost everyday in my car and while I use a cooler, I try to steer clear of mayo in late spring and fall. I don't have to worry about this going bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That spinach pesto sounds wonderful to me too. Did it also have pine nuts like traditional pesto?
I have a feeling they used almonds simply because I don't remember there being a strong pine nut flavor. I use pine nuts because I love them!

Old 03-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

That sound really good. I will experiment with it & try it for a special next week.....Thanks!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #64
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
The spinach pesto recipes I found had walnuts in them.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #65
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
It lasts wonderfully which is why I love it. I eat lunch almost everyday in my car and while I use a cooler, I try to steer clear of mayo in late spring and fall. I don't have to worry about this going bad.
Mine sits in an insulated bag in my desk, with a couple of ice packs. I steer clear of anything that could go over, too!

Thanks for the idea, I found several recipes and have incorporated what I like the best out of all of them into my own recipe:

Spinach Pesto or Ogre Goo

1/2 pound Spinach, rinsed and shaken dry
2 cloves of minced garlic
1/4 cup crushed walnuts (toasted if you like)
1/3 cup favorite vegetable oil
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1 tablespoon lemon zest

Puree all in food processor or blender...add water or lemon juice to thin if needed.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

It sounds great! I will try the spinach pesto in a wrap or on flatbread with red onion, marinated chicken breast & smoked provolne.. Hence...A special is made. Thanks!
I luv this DC network!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #67
Sous Chef

My favorite grilled cheese sandwich: Havarti, fresh tomato, and dill. It's also great on a half bagel with a thin spread of cream cheese under it. I love making a spread for wraps of avocado, finely chopped onion, and cream cheese. It goes especially well with turkey or chicken, sprouts, cucumber, etc. When summer produce is available, you could do a salad made up of greens, strawberries, sweet apples, pecans (plain or candied), and goat cheese, serve it with a simple mixture of orange, lime, and lemon juices and a little black pepper as the dressing, or an actual citrus vinaigrette. It's a bit of a sugar shock though, even with the cheese, so it can be topped with grilled chicken or with tuna (it's better with fresh grilled tuna, but as you mentioned the cost of fish for you, canned actually tastes pretty great on this one, too.)

Sounds like you serve some pretty yummy stuff already! If I lived in your city, I'd stop by!
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #68
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
My favorite grilled cheese sandwich: Havarti, fresh tomato, and dill. It's also great on a half bagel with a thin spread of cream cheese under it. I love making a spread for wraps of avocado, finely chopped onion, and cream cheese. It goes especially well with turkey or chicken, sprouts, cucumber, etc. When summer produce is available, you could do a salad made up of greens, strawberries, sweet apples, pecans (plain or candied), and goat cheese, serve it with a simple mixture of orange, lime, and lemon juices and a little black pepper as the dressing, or an actual citrus vinaigrette. It's a bit of a sugar shock though, even with the cheese, so it can be topped with grilled chicken or with tuna (it's better with fresh grilled tuna, but as you mentioned the cost of fish for you, canned actually tastes pretty great on this one, too.)

Sounds like you serve some pretty yummy stuff already! If I lived in your city, I'd stop by!
I must be feeling better, your grilled cheese sounds great!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

I love the avocado spread ideas for wraps. I will definitely try it out. The salad I do a similiar one in the summer when the produce is better. In the fall/winter months I top the salad with mandaran oranges, craisins, candied hazelnuts, plum tomatoes, yellow squash & baby carrots. During lent I have topprd it with yellow fin grilled tuna but marinated chicken or sirloin are more popular. Great ideas! Please keep them coming..
Old 03-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #70
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
In the fall/winter months I top the salad with mandaran oranges, craisins, candied hazelnuts, plum tomatoes, yellow squash & baby carrots. During lent I have topprd it with yellow fin grilled tuna but marinated chicken or sirloin are more popular. Great ideas! Please keep them coming..
That sounds wonderful! I'll have to try that out! What do you dress it with?

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lunch