"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 03-31-2014, 02:39 AM   #11
Master Chef

Use your beers in preparing the meats for the sandwiches. Pulled pork or pulled chicken simmered in beer, meatloaf made with beer and topped with a Guinness-type sauce, chili made with beer for monster chili dogs. That way if anyone wants to try and duplicate the taste at home they have to start with your beer.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I've gone off you Rocklobster.....I'm trying to lose the winter podge and that delicious selection has NOT helped

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I was reading an article not too long ago about sandwiches. It took a bit of digging but I found it.
Toronto's best sandwiches | The Grid TO
Old 03-31-2014, 12:20 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My favourite café/sandwich place makes some fabulous sandwiches. They serve them on local, whole grain bread, with sprouts, sliced pickle, sliced cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and some sort of fruit on the side. My favourite is a spread made of cream cheese, coarsely chopped pecans, coarsely chopped green olives with pimento. They serve it with or without ham slices, so it can be vegetarian.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:28 PM   #15
Master Chef

I like the idea of showcasing the beer by using it in a couple of the food items.

Maybe some cheddar beer soup to go with the sandwiches or beer batter on fish or vegetables even a beer based house salad dressing.

Orange-and-Ale Vinaigrette Recipe - Sean Paxton | Food & Wine
Old 03-31-2014, 04:04 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We had a wonderful restaurant around here that was famous for their huge Reubens, served on slabs of fresh baked toasted raisin bread.
Raisin bread? That would be new taste sensation for me but since my palate is quite willing to experiment (and usually like) with new tastes I'll try that sometime if I don't eat the whole loaf of raisin bread toasted and slathered with butter first.

Did you eat those Reubens yourself, Dawgluver?
Old 03-31-2014, 04:24 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post

Raisin bread? That would be new taste sensation for me but since my palate is quite willing to experiment (and usually like) with new tastes I'll try that sometime if I don't eat the whole loaf of raisin bread toasted and slathered with butter first.

Indeed, as much as possible! The place was out of town, and it was the most popular item on the menu. We all ordered it whenever we were in the area.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Short story. A local new fangled Italian restaurant, all home-made pastas, uncanny sauces, more dishes without pasta. What is their most popular menu item? Spaghetti and meatballs. They had to finally add it to keep traditional-minded customers coming back.

With that said, you can make trad sandwiches using good ingredients. BLT's, w/ good bacon etc.

I think adding several not so every day common good cheeses would be a good idea too. A white cheddar, Havarti, smoked gouda, depends on what goes good with the other sandwich ingreds.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:17 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Thank you guys for the ideas, all are great! Any more?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:19 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post

There's a restaurant near us the has a turkey-apple club sandwich with white cheddar, lettuce, tomatoes and mayonnaise on cinnamon bread. No reason why you couldn't use cinnamon-raisin bread. It's my favorite - I never want to order anything else.

Tags
sandwich