Off the wall sandwich ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChumSlam

Assistant Cook
I work at a nanobrewery and we make pizza from scratch and have started a sandwich menu. We don't want to have the same sandwiches everybody has. I'm thinking wild game, pork belly, things like that. Do you guys and gals have any ideas or recipes for devastating sandwiches?

Thank you in advance!

I would stick with readily available and fairly inexpensive food presented in a different way. The idea of buffalo, venison, ostrich, alligator all sound pretty exciting, I just don't think it would have that wide an appeal for the money you would need to charge. IMO the food should be interesting, plentiful and reasonably priced so it does not upstage the beer.

I would serve things beer drinkers have eaten over the years only amped up a little.

Liverwurst and onions with an interesting mustard on an artisan bread.

Wild boar sounds more exotic than pork and could be done in many ways, pulled pork, roast pork w/red onion, ground pork mixed with ground ham for a burger.

A great locally made hot dog, kielbasa or sausage.

A Ploughman's lunch with local sausage, local cheese, hard boiled or pickled eggs, some interesting condiments and a chunk of great bread.

Good luck!

I have to agree with Aunt Bea.

We had a wonderful restaurant around here that was famous for their huge Reubens, served on slabs of fresh baked toasted raisin bread. They sliced their own corned beef and pastrami and their sauerkraut was made on site, as was the dressing. One sandwich easily served at least 2 people, and was very reasonably priced, and the place was always busy. Sadly, the couple who owned the place retired.

Last edited:
I work at a nanobrewery and we make pizza from scratch and have started a sandwich menu. We don't want to have the same sandwiches everybody has. I'm thinking wild game, pork belly, things like that. Do you guys and gals have any ideas or recipes for devastating sandwiches?

Thank you in advance!
One for the vegetarians - Wholemeal, granary or seeded bread with peanut butter and grated carrot. Yum!

Chicken with apricot jam and mayo.

Wholemeal or white bread with (canned) tuna, wasabi and pickled ginger - my favourite deli café does this one.

Good quality bread of course not mass-produced sliced white pap! (The inventor of the "Chorleywood Process" for commercial bread making has a lot to apologise for!)

Not game, sorry, but they are among my favourites.:)

Last edited:
Check out a local artisan bakery and promote their breads and rolls. They can shape your sandwich rolls any way you would like to create your distinct sandwiches.

Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese
French Onion Grilled Cheese
Chicken, Cappicola, Provolone
Beef, Balsamic Caramalized Onions, Gruyere,
Old Fashioned Grilled Cheeseburger
Chicken, Roasted Red Pepper, shaved Parmesan, Pesto mayo
Beef, blue cheese and pear
Ham, Grilled Pineapple, Garlic mayo
Chicken, pea meal bacon, cheddar
Chicken, grilled eggplant, Mozzerella, Pizza Sauce
Turkey, turkey dressing, Gruyere, cranberry sauce
Pork Pig Out: Back Bacon, regular bacon, side pork, with tomato lettuce, cheddar and mayo.
Stuffed Portabello Burger
The Meatball: One, 6 ounce meat ball with Mozzerella and Marinara on a bun.
Breakfast sausage, ham, egg, baked beans
Jerk chicken, mango, coconut
Butter chicken wrap.
Bison Burgers
Grilled clam and cream cheese

I have made all of these, and different variations at one time or another, at work...

Last edited:
Duck breast with Cherry and walnuts
Lamb with asparagus and garlic rosemary mayo
Make different kinds of pizza and offer different fillings by adding them to the top of the pizza and then folding it in half....

Last edited:
I was thinking about this and if you already make your own pizza, I would go a step further and make some focaccia with things like olives, vegetables, herbs, cheese etc baked in and use that as the bread for some muffuletta type sandwiches.

I also think a cold meatloaf sandwich would be a great addition to a pub menu if it is done right.

I'd focus on making a signature slaw/dipping sauce/pickle/kimchi/meat that melts in your mouth. Way back when, I was a tour manager. One of the cities I would visit was Montreal. I fell in LOVE with a steak sandwich served at a little place just off St. Catherine's Street in the downtown core. What was so special about it? The steak melted in your mouth. The bun was a mini baguette, the sauce au jus, but the steak, it brought me back every time I was in Montreal.

Use your beers in preparing the meats for the sandwiches. Pulled pork or pulled chicken simmered in beer, meatloaf made with beer and topped with a Guinness-type sauce, chili made with beer for monster chili dogs. That way if anyone wants to try and duplicate the taste at home they have to start with your beer. ;)

My favourite café/sandwich place makes some fabulous sandwiches. They serve them on local, whole grain bread, with sprouts, sliced pickle, sliced cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and some sort of fruit on the side. My favourite is a spread made of cream cheese, coarsely chopped pecans, coarsely chopped green olives with pimento. They serve it with or without ham slices, so it can be vegetarian. :pig:

We had a wonderful restaurant around here that was famous for their huge Reubens, served on slabs of fresh baked toasted raisin bread.

Raisin bread? That would be new taste sensation for me but since my palate is quite willing to experiment (and usually like) with new tastes I'll try that sometime if I don't eat the whole loaf of raisin bread toasted and slathered with butter first. :ohmy:

Did you eat those Reubens yourself, Dawgluver?

Raisin bread? That would be new taste sensation for me but since my palate is quite willing to experiment (and usually like) with new tastes I'll try that sometime if I don't eat the whole loaf of raisin bread toasted and slathered with butter first. :ohmy:

Indeed, as much as possible! The place was out of town, and it was the most popular item on the menu. We all ordered it whenever we were in the area.

Last edited:
Short story. A local new fangled Italian restaurant, all home-made pastas, uncanny sauces, more dishes without pasta. What is their most popular menu item? Spaghetti and meatballs. They had to finally add it to keep traditional-minded customers coming back.

With that said, you can make trad sandwiches using good ingredients. BLT's, w/ good bacon etc.

I think adding several not so every day common good cheeses would be a good idea too. A white cheddar, Havarti, smoked gouda, depends on what goes good with the other sandwich ingreds.

There's a restaurant near us the has a turkey-apple club sandwich with white cheddar, lettuce, tomatoes and mayonnaise on cinnamon bread. No reason why you couldn't use cinnamon-raisin bread. It's my favorite - I never want to order anything else.

Back
Top Bottom