Oh, Baloney!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a Russian take on Bologna-Potato salad.

Equal amounts of:
Potato
Bologna
Carrots
Green canned peas
Mayo to taste
Salt and pepper to taste.

Boil potato and carrots in skin till cooked. Cool and peel. Dice everything small. Add mayo, you’ll have to find out the ration you like. I like less, my mom, for example, likes more. Salt, pepper mix everything together, serve at room temp.

P.S. (I prefer baby carrots, you do not have to peel them)

Last edited:
What is baloney?

Baloney? It’s spelled Bologna, but is pronounced “baloney”. True Bologna is a sausage type meat (Italian mortadella) named after the town of Bologna in Italy. In America, it’s conglomeration of various meat parts (some would say scrap meat parts) stuffed into a tube and then sliced. It's a rather inexpensive cut of lunchmeat.

Here is Oscar Mayer's take on it.

And here is more info.

my balogna sammich would be either: thickly sliced and fried, with an egg, on a toasted everything bagel
- or -
thinly sliced, on white wonder bread, with thinly sliced red onions and gulden's spicey brown mustard.

gettin really outta town, i'd have it with jalapeno jack cheese on dark multigrain bread and butter.

I haven't eaten bologna in years. It is one of those things for which I have to really be in the mood, but it does strike on occasion. I only like the beef type. If I'm having it cold, I want it on soft white bread (like Wonder) with processed American cheese product (like those Kraft slices) and mustard. If it's fried, I put it on the same bread, spread with butter and topped with Tabasco sauce.

Make mine on white wonder bread using any old bologna, and slather it with Welsch's grape jelly. Okay, now that's if your name is Kyra and you're really quite odd as I remember.........:cool:but that was a hundred years ago so I digress..........

Now if the Lefse's eatin one, I'll take it on Very Berry Wheatberry bread, a little BF's or Hellman's mayo with one slice of Oscar Mayer all beef bologna. Yummmmmm:-p

How about Pork Roll?

My brother lives in NH and can never find it. So when visits Jersey, he picks up a coupla pork rolls to bring back.

Must be a Jersey thing.

Yep, I like bologna. Some would say that I'm full of the stuff.:rolleyes:

But seriously, there are some very good bologna's out there, not just the basic stuff that Oscar Meyer puts out (though I like that too). My favorite way to eat bologna is on toasted whole wheat, with Miracle Whip or Mayonaise, depending on my mood, with american cheese and a fried egg with a runny yolk. Caution, this sandwich can be very messy.

I also like to put it with some thinly sliced onion, tomato, lettuce, good spicey mustard, and horseradish, all on whole wheat again.

There's a little restaurant up her in Sault Ste. Marie, called the West Pier. They have a cold-cut sub that combines bologna, salami, chopped green pepper, onion, lettuce, and chopped black olives. I think they put mayo on it too. I don't know the exact amounts on this sub, but it is fabulous, and with such simple ingredients. At least, it used to be fabulous when I was a kid. I understand that some of the meat suppliers that made the products they used are no longer in business, and so the quality of meats isn't the same. But it's still a great sub.

I prefer the bolognas that have a bit of texture, and you can see the colors of the different meats, fats, etc, like in a good Kielbassa. Oscar Meyer and similar versions of bologna are like eating a giant hot dog that's been sliced into thin rounds. I like it, but like other, more rustic versions better.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Mine is on toasted wheat, mayo, lettuce, tomato, and a slice of Vidalia onion. With two thick slices of baloney fried!

A fried baloney sandwich with mayo and tomato? You think you're Tim McGraw, don't ya?

I like my baloney raw, with Miracle Whip, on white bread, untoasted. Nothing else. But, and this is a big but (no pun intended), it has to be a real, garlicy, Polish baloney, like Malecki or Wardinski ("Don't give me that baloney, I want Wardinski's")

I second Caine's sandwich, except a big NO for Miracle Whip - gotta be Hellman's mayo!

Lee

fried please then on white bread and grilled. I'm not real crazy about it, but when I do, it has to be fried!

Pork roll or Taylors pork roll is basically spices up baloney similar to spam. It come in a roll or now in a vacuum pack in the lunch meat section of the super market. The roll is usually 2 lbs or I have seen it at B J's in a 10 lb roll. It is usually served fried. I think it is a regional product of the NJ Del Pa Md area. I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Uncle Bob...bologna never looked so good. Love the wine with it. Always wonder whether to serve red or white!

I usually eat bologna on white bread with american cheese and yellow mustard. Been awhile but may have to do it sometime soon.

elaine l said:
Uncle Bob...bologna never looked so good. Love the wine with it. Always wonder whether to serve red or white!

That has always been my quandary! Red or white?? I was hoping someone would enlighten me as to the proper paring.:ermm: I know when eating my baloney sammich I must always use fine China, and a lead crystal wine glass. To do otherwise would be totally unacceptable!!:LOL:

I never liked bologna - even as a kid - except fried along with eggs or as part of a fried egg sandwich. Luckily, my parents felt the same way about it, so I wasn't subjected to it as part of my school lunches - lol!!

Now the Taylor stuff &/or Lebanon bologna (the regular, NOT the sweet) are definite favorites of mine, & I enjoy snacking on them plain or as part of a regular sandwich with some good whole-grain mustard.

Back
Top Bottom