"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 09-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikoni View Post
What is baloney?
Spelled Bologna, sounds like baloney.

Just what is bologna made out of anyway, and how did it get its name?

Old 09-20-2007, 11:22 AM   #22
Master Chef

Here is a Russian take on Bologna-Potato salad.

Equal amounts of:
Potato
Bologna
Carrots
Green canned peas
Mayo to taste
Salt and pepper to taste.

Boil potato and carrots in skin till cooked. Cool and peel. Dice everything small. Add mayo, you’ll have to find out the ration you like. I like less, my mom, for example, likes more. Salt, pepper mix everything together, serve at room temp.

P.S. (I prefer baby carrots, you do not have to peel them)

Old 09-20-2007, 11:25 AM   #23
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikoni View Post
What is baloney?
Baloney? It’s spelled Bologna, but is pronounced “baloney”. True Bologna is a sausage type meat (Italian mortadella) named after the town of Bologna in Italy. In America, it’s conglomeration of various meat parts (some would say scrap meat parts) stuffed into a tube and then sliced. It's a rather inexpensive cut of lunchmeat.

Here is Oscar Mayer's take on it.

And here is more info.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:32 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

my balogna sammich would be either: thickly sliced and fried, with an egg, on a toasted everything bagel
- or -
thinly sliced, on white wonder bread, with thinly sliced red onions and gulden's spicey brown mustard.

gettin really outta town, i'd have it with jalapeno jack cheese on dark multigrain bread and butter.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #25
Cook

I haven't eaten bologna in years. It is one of those things for which I have to really be in the mood, but it does strike on occasion. I only like the beef type. If I'm having it cold, I want it on soft white bread (like Wonder) with processed American cheese product (like those Kraft slices) and mustard. If it's fried, I put it on the same bread, spread with butter and topped with Tabasco sauce.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Make mine on white wonder bread using any old bologna, and slather it with Welsch's grape jelly. Okay, now that's if your name is Kyra and you're really quite odd as I remember.........but that was a hundred years ago so I digress..........

Now if the Lefse's eatin one, I'll take it on Very Berry Wheatberry bread, a little BF's or Hellman's mayo with one slice of Oscar Mayer all beef bologna. Yummmmmm
Old 09-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #27
Executive Chef

How about Pork Roll?

My brother lives in NH and can never find it. So when visits Jersey, he picks up a coupla pork rolls to bring back.

Must be a Jersey thing.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:08 PM   #28
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
How about Pork Roll?

My brother lives in NH and can never find it. So when visits Jersey, he picks up a coupla pork rolls to bring back.

Must be a Jersey thing.
I have never heard of a pork roll. I’ve got to try this!
Old 09-20-2007, 12:18 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
I have never heard of a pork roll. I’ve got to try this!
Told ya.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:20 PM   #30
Master Chef

Yep, I like bologna. Some would say that I'm full of the stuff.

But seriously, there are some very good bologna's out there, not just the basic stuff that Oscar Meyer puts out (though I like that too). My favorite way to eat bologna is on toasted whole wheat, with Miracle Whip or Mayonaise, depending on my mood, with american cheese and a fried egg with a runny yolk. Caution, this sandwich can be very messy.

I also like to put it with some thinly sliced onion, tomato, lettuce, good spicey mustard, and horseradish, all on whole wheat again.

There's a little restaurant up her in Sault Ste. Marie, called the West Pier. They have a cold-cut sub that combines bologna, salami, chopped green pepper, onion, lettuce, and chopped black olives. I think they put mayo on it too. I don't know the exact amounts on this sub, but it is fabulous, and with such simple ingredients. At least, it used to be fabulous when I was a kid. I understand that some of the meat suppliers that made the products they used are no longer in business, and so the quality of meats isn't the same. But it's still a great sub.

I prefer the bolognas that have a bit of texture, and you can see the colors of the different meats, fats, etc, like in a good Kielbassa. Oscar Meyer and similar versions of bologna are like eating a giant hot dog that's been sliced into thin rounds. I like it, but like other, more rustic versions better.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote