Oh, Baloney!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i love the stuff ... i like mine on toasted white bread ...
a little hellmans .. lettuce .. tomato .. and a slice of red onion ..
and a good splash of yellow mustard ..

I'm not a huge fan of bologna sandwiches. My DH on the other hand loves them. He doesnt want anything fancy just a ton of meat. One package of bologna will usually only make 2 sandwiches. *shudders*

bologna

I haven't done this since I was a kid. White buttered bread with a slice of bologna and mashed potatoes. Yum:)

I haven't done this since I was a kid. White buttered bread with a slice of bologna and mashed potatoes. Yum:)

Mashed potatoes on the sandwich, do you mean, or as a side? I always liked to put potato chips on my sandwiches or once in a while I stick french fries on one. (And I have the nerve to wonder why I'm fat, lol!)

I don't care for it but hubby does, on a roll with thousand island dressing and mustard and lettuce.

Here is a Russian take on Bologna-Potato salad.

Equal amounts of:
Potato
Bologna
Carrots
Green canned peas
Mayo to taste
Salt and pepper to taste.

Boil potato and carrots in skin till cooked. Cool and peel. Dice everything small. Add mayo, you’ll have to find out the ration you like. I like less, my mom, for example, likes more. Salt, pepper mix everything together, serve at room temp.

P.S. (I prefer baby carrots, you do not have to peel them)

Oops, I forgot hard boiled eggs.

Smoked Bologna!

How about some 'Smoked Bologna"??

Did one chunk with evoo and Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express and the other with evoo and Wolfe Rub Original

img_545485_0_c63cf59f927d8e42774448e7b017278f.jpg

They went on Junior at 250° with some hickory/cherry smoke for about 1½ hours. I prefer to do it longer, but we were getting hungry for lunch!

img_545485_1_33ec01b8139908b10461e6f4e160ce1f.jpg

This made a great sammich with some spicy mustard :-p

Smoking the bolo changes the flavor completely. It's great as a sammie or cut into chunks to go with cheese and beer :LOL:

It also makes a great "Redneck Ruben", which I'll post sometime.

I went to buy a chunk of bologna, to grind up for sandwiches and the butcher asked me if I wanted beef, which cost more or the cheaper one. I said, what is in the cheaper one and she said lots of different things. What is in it, does anyone know?

I went to buy a chunk of bologna, to grind up for sandwiches and the butcher asked me if I wanted beef, which cost more or the cheaper one. I said, what is in the cheaper one and she said lots of different things. What is in it, does anyone know?

Varying cuts of pork, chicken and turkey in no particular order. The main ingredient would be listed first, followed by the lesser.

Beef bologna has a distinct taste and I prefer the cheaper for the flavor.

as kids we stayed with our German grandma in the summer and there was a deli where she got the freshest, best tasting bologna---served with "store-bought" Mrs. ButterKrust bread, mayo, tomato and lettuce it was the most delicious lunch (she called it dinner) in the world! Grandpa would tease us and say that we wouldn't know what was in bologna--ha

LOL - I don't know any reputable BBQ joint in TX that doesn't have BBQ (smoked) bologna on the menu. I especially like it from one of the places that have revolving racks in the smoker ... so the juices from the chickens, briskets, ribs drip down over it as they smoke.

How you gussey it up with condiments is up to you. I like mine on a bun with a slice of onion, tomato, lettuce, and BBQ sauce.

When I was a kid ... we just threw a slice in a skillet and browned it - put it between two slices of white bread with MicacleWhip ... and whatever else we could find.

Last edited:
I do not like it Sam-I-AM. I do not like it anywhere.
Really, no baloney!!!

I'm not sure how I missed this post the first time around..... but that has to be the finest gourmet bologna sandwich I have ever seen, UB. A little too gourmet for me ;), but I'd sit down and eat one with you, that's for sure. Oh, it's also the only gourmet bologna sandwich I have ever seen :LOL:

Bologna sandwiches at my house when I was a kid consisted of white bread, the sliced meat, am cheese and lettuce. Or just straight up with some yellow mustard and the bread. Never fried, but the neighbor fried theirs. So as I grew older I started frying it too and said, hey, this is pretty good :chef:
Nowadays if I have it with mayo I might add the cheese or some tomato, but have lost the taste for the lettuce. Probably from eating too many warm sandwiches this way until the switch from brown bags to lunch coolers occurred.....
And like someone else said, too much meat ruins the sandwich. After all, you're eating bologna, not steak :LOL:

One thing's for certain though, its gotta be Smith's bologna. Those pale looking ones or the prepackaged stuff just won't do. I like their ring bologna, too. Made nearby in Erie, so I'm not sure how widespread their meats are.

as kids we stayed with our German grandma in the summer and there was a deli where she got the freshest, best tasting bologna---served with "store-bought" Mrs. ButterKrust bread, mayo, tomato and lettuce it was the most delicious lunch (she called it dinner) in the world! Grandpa would tease us and say that we wouldn't know what was in bologna--ha

Expatgirl, you should use my recipe to empress your russina frinds so called Salat Olivie is very popular item on the table.

Pacanis said:
I'm not sure how I missed this post the first time around..... but that has to be the finest gourmet bologna sandwich I have ever seen, UB. A little too gourmet for me ;), but I'd sit down and eat one with you, that's for sure. Oh, it's also the only gourmet bologna sandwich I have ever seen :LOL:

It was my first and only too!!:ermm: I did think that the linen table cloth, old China plate and Waterford Crystal Wine Glass was quite a contrast to the ubiguitous "loney" sammich however!!:LOL: Fine dining at it's finest!:ROFLMAO:

:LOL:
You could set a can of Spam and package of saltines on that table and it would look like fine dining at its finest!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom