"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
Master Chef

Open-Faced Breakfast Sandwich

One word comes to mind when I make this upscale sandwich; sublime. It is made from ordinary ingredients, with prepared as well as they can be. And the sum of the ingredients is greater than any single part.

So now that the Chief Longwind part is out of the way, let's build this little piece of cullinary art.
Ingredients:

1. 1 slice of your favorite bread. (I love the Aunt Millie's Best grain, 15 whole grain bread for both texture and flavor)
2. 1 inch thick slice of your favorite Breadfast sausage, flattened into a 4 inch round (Tennesey Pride Hot for me thank you)
3. 1 large egg
4. 12 oz. water
5. 1 tbs. table salt

Place the water and salt into your smallest saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat until the water is still, but hot.

While the water is coming up to temp, heat a suitable pan for grillng the bread. Butter the bread on both sides with salted butter. Preheat a small frying pan for cooking the sausage.

Get the sausage cooking over medium heat, and place the bread on the hot griddle, or pan. Gently break the egg into the hot, salted water. The salt in the water will perfectly season the egg. Cook both the sausage and bread until golden brown on both sides. Every few minutes gently jostle the egg with the back of a spoon so as to test who firm the egg white is. It is done when there is not gooey egg white and a pink film forms over the yolk. Place the toast on a plate, followed by the sausage. Use a slotted spoon to remove the egg from the water and place on top of the sausage. Break the egg yolk and use a fork to spread it all over the eggwhite, sausage, and bread.

Enjoy.

It took me a while to learn how to prepare perfectly poached eggs, but that's how you do it. You elevate so many dishes by topping them with a poached egg. But this breakfast sandwich, IMHO, is one of the very best. It takes a little more work, and dirties a few more pans, but is so worth the extra effort. I may even like this breakfast better that a stack of perfect pancakes, and that's saying something.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
Head Chef

I will tell you a secret, all sandwiches eaten at breakfast or any other time in Sweden is open faced, it is very rare people use two slices of bread for one sandwich.

I miss eating pannbiffsmörgås med pocherat ägg... yes that is the Swedish name for this and you could get it at truck stop heading north when I was little. I cant eat eggs anymore.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sounds good, Chief!
Old 03-27-2018, 12:39 AM   #4
Head Chef

Chef, I will thank you, this spawned a long discussion about the red house on top of the hill. Yes, more of my friends remember this sandwich and the place from, my childhood and it was lovely walking down memory lane. Thank you so much.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #5
Executive Chef

hmmm with sausage - that's one I haven't done, mainly as I don't have any hanging around. Lots of other stuff tho!

I guess I mess up a few pans as well - and the timing has to be right on for everything to come together.

Here I popped the asparagus into the poaching water at the 3 min. mark - the egg is 5 min. Drizzled toast with truffle oil (a few drops only!). Only the one pan dirtied.... this time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180114 c truffle oil n asparagus 4.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	29546  
Old 03-27-2018, 11:31 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
hmmm with sausage - that's one I haven't done, mainly as I don't have any hanging around. Lots of other stuff tho!

I guess I mess up a few pans as well - and the timing has to be right on for everything to come together.

Here I popped the asparagus into the poaching water at the 3 min. mark - the egg is 5 min. Drizzled toast with truffle oil (a few drops only!). Only the one pan dirtied.... this time!
I'm ready. When do we eat. One request only; don't put that beautiful poached egg on Spam! Now where that came from is a mystery to me. Nothing in your post suggested spam. I'm confused at the crazy things my brain comes up with.

And CakePoet, I'm glad you have such good memories.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

A gentle simmer is all I need for perfectly poached eggs. Two pieces of toast, two eggs. I slowly baste the eggs while cooking in the simmering salted water. Place the lightly buttered toast on the plate, lightly bathe the toast with the salted water with one or two spoonful's with the water the eggs are cooking in. One or two slices on bacon on the side or a sausage patty, and I have my perfect breakfast.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
A gentle simmer is all I need for perfectly poached eggs. Two pieces of toast, two eggs. I slowly baste the eggs while cooking in the simmering salted water. Place the lightly buttered toast on the plate, lightly bathe the toast with the salted water with one or two spoonful's with the water the eggs are cooking in. One or two slices on bacon on the side or a sausage patty, and I have my perfect breakfast.
I cook & eat poached eggs the same except, I've not heard of "bathing the toast".. Interesting...

Ross
Old 03-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Breakfast pizza's

[IMG][/IMG]

salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakfast, fast, sandwich