Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never much cared for peanut butter and jelly but I can not eat one if I have to.

My daughter made one for me once when she was about eight. I couldn't tell her that I didn't like them. Then she sat there and watched me until I ate it, lol. After that I determined if I were hungry enough I could eat one.

If I had to eat one it would be creamy peanut butter and grape jelly on white wonder bread. Not a lot of either one. And when I bite it the jelly had to be on the top side, lol.

I don't eat Jif or Skippy, because of the trans fats, so it's either natural PB, or if I'm in the mood, homemade nut butter. If you've never had homemade peanut or cashew butter, it couldn't be easier to make in the food processor (I like to add just a little honey and salt).

Now I realize this is probably blasphemy, but I don't care for jam or jelly. Never have. So I eat PB plain on buttered honey wheat bread. One slice of bread, PB on one side, butter on the other, and fold it in half. My grandmother always used to make it that way for me when I was a kid, and that's the way I still eat it.

wonder white bread, low fat skippy creamy, and smuckers grape jelly.

peanut butter on one slice, jelly on the other. jelly slice goes on top, then the edges are manually crimped to prevent jelly squish out.

Whole wheat bread, especially wheat-berry, any berry jam will do, but my favorite is seedless raspberry, followed by blueberry or strawberry. I'll eat grape if there's noting else. I love Skippy Supercrunch. The bread can be untoasted, toasted, or my favorite, grilled with butter on the outside, like a grilled cheese.

If I'm making a pb-honey sandwich, the bread has to be untoasted, and let a thick layer of honey soak down into the bread so that it makes the bread crunchy (not sure how that works, but i love it), again with Skippy Supercrunch.

I love home made peanut butter, but hate that the oil separates out.

Another favorite is when camping, make a PBJ using a pie-iron in the camp fire.

I wonder what a peanut butter and jam tort would be like. Hmmmm.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Crackers smear with peanut butter and top with a dollop of chutney you could use some rounds of bread but a crackers goes down easier and faster:LOL:
kadesma

I don't eat Jif or Skippy, because of the trans fats, so it's either natural PB, or if I'm in the mood, homemade nut butter. If you've never had homemade peanut or cashew butter, it couldn't be easier to make in the food processor (I like to add just a little honey and salt).

Now I realize this is probably blasphemy, but I don't care for jam or jelly. Never have. So I eat PB plain on buttered honey wheat bread. One slice of bread, PB on one side, butter on the other, and fold it in half. My grandmother always used to make it that way for me when I was a kid, and that's the way I still eat it.

Jif and skippy are now using "fully hydrogenated" fat which supposedly means no trans fats, but I don't eat any fat that is hydrogenated, fully or partially.

Now both Jif and Skippy offer "natural" versions of the product made with palm oil, that have the same no-stir creamy quality as their original versions. I really like JIF Natural, it also has less salt. Neither of these newer versions have high fructose corn syrup in them either.

Personal Sinful Secret:

Peanut butter, pepper jelly and cream cheese on soft wheat bread.

Peanut butter on one side, Cream cheese on the other, pepper jelly in the middle - no soggy bread.

Shh... don't tell ;)

Personal Sinful Secret:

Peanut butter on one side, Cream cheese on the other, pepper jelly in the middle - no soggy bread.

Shh... don't tell ;)

I won't, I have all three spreads and the bread...

Janet H said:
Personal Sinful Secret:

Shh... don't tell ;)

Shh. BRB.

Now both Jif and Skippy offer "natural" versions of the product made with palm oil, that have the same no-stir creamy quality as their original versions. I really like JIF Natural, it also has less salt. Neither of these newer versions have high fructose corn syrup in them either.
Oh... good to know. Jif was a favorite when I was a kid. It was only after I started reading about things that were bad for my heart that I decided to give it up and go natural.

Now please don't anyone say palm oil is bad. :ermm:

Oh... good to know. Jif was a favorite when I was a kid. It was only after I started reading about things that were bad for my heart that I decided to give it up and go natural.

I won't say it is bad, but it is high in saturated fat. :ermm:

I like crunchy Jif on one side - any kind of jelly, jam or preserves on the other and on white bread. I don't eat it often but if I've worked too hard and start to feel very tired, I have the pb and j with a glass of icy cold milk and it restores my body.. I like Nutella on toast for breakfast - but not often.

It is high in sat fat, but there seems to be some evidence that plant based sat fat, is not as bad for you like once thought. The jury's still out on that.

This thread has got me thinking about a peanut butter, bacon and banana on toast.

I have not made one of those in years but, the time is near.

Back
Top Bottom