"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Philly Cheese Steak at home?

Can I make a passible copy of this sandwich at home?

I have sirloin steak, and can get nice little sub rolls from the bakery up the street.

I need to look up the other ingrediants like cheese. are there onions and maybe can mushrooms?

I normally do a decent French dip with this, but would like something new.

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

giggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

The most important thing is that meat needs to be sliced paper thin. Get a jar of Cheese Whiz and an onion.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I've made it at home. DH really liked and he's had it in Philly. It's a bit of a pain because we don't have a flat-top grill like they do in restaurants. And yes, the steaks need to be paper thin. I think a former neighbor of mine used to use Steak-Ums to make them.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

One of our little BBQ places here makes the best Phillies. Yes, paper-thin steak is key. They also use fried peppers and onions along with provolone. Whiz is in the original though.

Sure wish we'd gone to the two original places that have an ongoing rivalry when we were in Philly.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:32 PM   #5
Master Chef

Another vote for paper thin beef and a big splash of Worcestershire sauce.

If you have a meat market with a real live butcher you can ask them to slice an inexpensive roast so you can portion it for the freezer. The thin beef is great for sandwiches and Asian inspired stir fry dishes like Broccoli and Beef.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
The most important thing is that meat needs to be sliced paper thin. Get a jar of Cheese Whiz and an onion.
+1
Our Penn Dutch has packages of sirloin tip in the freezer section that has been sliced super thin. We buy a few packages when we want steak sandwiches, Philly or not.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:23 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

A couple of big names in the Philly cheesesteak business use ribeye sliced thin.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Eric, you may already know this, but the best way to get the paper thin slices of that sirloin steak is to slice it just slightly defrosted from frozen.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
My husband is from the Philadelphia area and we have had Cheesesteaks in many different locations, but I have to say my personal fave is this one:
Pudge's Steak and Hoagie
Now, since moving first to Hawaii, DH got to make him Cheesesteaks and I used Steak-ums, but the rolls weren't quite right.
Then we moved to the middle of the desert aka AZ and we found a joint that had Amoroso rolls flown in form Philly.
Amoroso's | Philadelphia Hearth-Baked Bread Rolls | Est. 1904
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	26263
I tried mine, this one time, with broccoli rabe, mmm!
IMHO, a good Cheesesteak is made with thinly shaved Rib eye and an Amoroso roll, provolone, grilled onions and sweet peppers, hot cherry peppers on the side please.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

The best traditional Philly cheesesteaks that I've ever had were at the Mecca of cheesesteaks, the intersection where Pat's King of Steaks and Geno's Steaks in Philly reside (both were equally good). Even though Cheez Whiz is more famous, the locals prefer regular ol' American cheese or provolone. And yes, they're made from very thinly sliced ribeye that gets chopped as it cooks on a flat top.

However, I've had even better ones, though they veered a bit from the traditional cheesesteak heretofore described.
They are sold every year at the San Gennaro festival in NYC's Litlle Italy. It also begins with a very thin slice of ribeye, but it is grilled over charcoal as one slice - not griddled and chopped. Also, the bread is toasted and lightly coated with garlic butter, and then it is served with chopped sauteed onions (I prefer raw), and again, American cheese.

Some diners in the city call this version, on garlic bread, a Balboa hero. I guess it's in reference to Rocky Balboa, the most famous fictional resident of Philadelphia.

Man, now I want one.

Oh yeah, I've tried making them with Steak-Ums, but I've found it to taste kinda greasy. It's better to spend the money and get a quality cut of meat.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
A couple of big names in the Philly cheesesteak business use ribeye sliced thin.
That's what I use -- with onions and provolone. I'm not a Wiz kinda' guy.

The tough part of replicating a Philly Cheese Steak here in Texas (or a Hoagie) is finding the right bread. In a pinch, you can slice a baguette into rolls, but it is not exactly the same.

Growing up in the burbs of Philly, my parents used steak-um. We could also get Amoroso's rolls in the supermarket.

CD

Tags
cheese, steak