"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 07-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #11
Head Chef

Now knowing the cabbage substance on my sandwich, and having a few cabbages ready for harvest in my garden, Im going to take this opportunity as a perfect segue to ask if anyone can share a good coleslaw recipe or hook me up with a link to some TNT recipes.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

This is DH's favorite slaw. It takes some effort, but it's worth it: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...cole-slaw.html

I make a half recipe at a time because I don't eat a lot of it. I add 1/3 cup of raisins because DH likes them in coleslaw.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We did a BBQ for friends last week. Included on the menu was pulled pork which we served with BBQ sauce, cole salw and buns. Some of us put the cole slaw on the sandwich and others ate it as a side dish.
What else did you serve, andy. Looking for ideas for a labor day get together.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Larry--there are 47 threads re: how to make coleslaw. I get on kicks where I will make the dressing that gets added to kimchee and make a "kimchee" slaw. Or, I will go on my Mexican kick and use Mexican flavors with grated jalapeno. Or good ol' creamy coleslaw...or Asian...or...coleslaw with grilled nectarines and a lime-EVOO based dressing with radishes added to the coleslaw...

Here's a link to the results I got when I searched. PF's Asian Coleslaw is popular, as are the KFC versions.

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums - Search Results
Old 07-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
What else did you serve, andy. Looking for ideas for a labor day get together.
SO picked up a jug of Moonshine for drinks to go along with the BBQ theme. We had ABTs and crudite with ranch dip as appetizers. I smoked/roasted a boston butt for pulled pork and smoked some baby backs. For sides we did BBQ baked beans and cole slaw. Dessert was an apple squares recipe adapted for a cast iron skillet with vanilla ice cream. Beer and wine too.

I even had enough pulled pork to freeze six sandwich-sized portions for other meals.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #16
Master Chef

This is my favorite Larry.

My take on KFC's Cole Slaw

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #17
Executive Chef

My KFC clone is the same as Kayelle's. Snagged it off of Food dot com / used to be Recipezaar. When I looked at it, I cringed and said I can't print that... look at all that sugar. Apparently I do, though I am sure I cut it back a little and use turbinado / raw sugar. Also I add a scoop of celery seed.

My favorite cole slaw is with blue cheese dressing.

1/3-1/2 cup mayo
1/4-1/3 cup buttermilk
1/4-1/3 cup sour cream
4 oz favorite blue cheese
Juice 1/2 lemon or ~1 Tbs vinegar
2 tsps. or so minced parsley
green onion tops, minced
Pepper
Optional-- start adding what you like
Worcestershire
horseradish
garlic powder
tarragon
few shakes Tabasco

Mix everything, smash half the blue cheese in with the dressing until smooth; Mix the other half crumbled at the end. For cole slaw, I like to spoon it on top the cabbage at serving at the table. I think this dressing does not marinate well with cabbage but do make in advance so the flavors blend. It's thick enough to use as a sandwich spread and of course, on any salad you like with blue cheese besides cole slaw. For cole slaw, if not chopping a cabbage, I like to buy "angel hair" bagged cabbage.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #18
Master Chef

Wiska, I'm making a big batch of the cole slaw for a birthday party on Sun, but I'm going to save out some cabbage to test drive your dressing recipe. For some reason, blue cheese sounds like a winner in this house, but not for everyone.

On the KFC copy recipe, I do use all the sugar but lately have been replacing both the milk and buttermilk with Greek yogurt, as I always have that on hand.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:39 PM   #19
Master Chef

I don't really have a 'recipe' - I just shred some white and purple cabbage and carrots, mix a little rice wine vinegar into mayo until it has the tang I like, add a little sugar and celery seed, mix it all together and let it sit in the fridge for a little while. I almost always just make it for me, so the measurements are small. My family doesn't care for cole slaw.

Whisk, the bleu cheese addition sounds really good - I'm going to have to try that sometime when I have other things to make to use up the bleu cheese. I do love it in salad dressings.

Come to think of it, I could use up some of the bleu cheese in a compound butter and freeze it! :-)
Old 07-06-2015, 11:13 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Question on a BBQ Pulled Pork w/ Cabbage sandwich

My "recipe" is similar to Cheryl's. I taste until I like it.

Whiska's blue cheese addition sounds interesting.

Tags
bbq, cabbage, pork, sandwich