Question on a BBQ Pulled Pork w/ Cabbage sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
For all you who know me, I didn't switch teams, still a vegetarian, so you can calm down now :LOL:

Im in Philly, lunchtime on the go, so I stopped in a store which sold a variety of vegetarian " Imitation Sandwiches".

I grabbed the vegetarian 'BBQ Pulled Pork" sandwich which consisted of an imitation meat product ( BBQ flavored) stuffed in half of a pita bread.

It actually tasted pretty good. As I was chewing, I noticed something with a certain crispiness too it. I then began to dissect my sandwich to see what I can find.

The mystery item ( other than whatever the meat stuff was made out of) was cabbage.

So, My question is: For all you meat eaters out there who have eaten a BBQ Pulled Pork sandwich, is it common to put shredded cabbage in it? If so, is the cabbage typically prepared in a certain way? or is it just shredded and mixed in for a texture thing?

It didn't add much flavor, but as a texture element, it was perfect.

Just curious ,

Larry

Typically, it is coleslaw. We do a pulled pork at the deli. Bun, bbq sauce, pulled pork, slaw...

Thanks, having never eaten one before , and vegetarians usually adding all kinds of funky things to their sandwiches, I was sure if it was legit , or them trying to be authentic.

I knew it was cabbage, but since it was mixed in, wasn't exactly sure what they did.

Now I know, thanks

larry

I think the added cole slaw adds dimension and texture. If you use a Peppery hot vinegar based Bbq sauce, ( my favorite) the slaw adds a soothing flavor and if you use a sweet tomatoewy sauce, ( my favorite) it cuts down on the sweetness a little. ( I like several types of sauce.) Plus it's a cheap add on to the sandwich from a restaurant perspective.

Oh, and if you found a good tasting sammie, you done good. Other than veggie / bean burgers, the few times I make vegetarian dishes special, I don't try to mimic meat type dishes, but make something that stands on its own legs.

Last edited:
We did a BBQ for friends last week. Included on the menu was pulled pork which we served with BBQ sauce, cole salw and buns. Some of us put the cole slaw on the sandwich and others ate it as a side dish.

I used to frequent an old time drug store soda fountain that served a 'slaw burger' ....It was awesome! The old guy would not share his slaw recipe....not even with his employees. Tried to buy it from him but he just smiled! Took it to his grave I guess.

I love coleslaw on anything but ice cream! Such a nice crunch. Really good on PP.

I think the added cole slaw adds dimension and texture. If you use a Peppery hot vinegar based Bbq sauce, ( my favorite) the slaw adds a soothing flavor and if you use a sweet tomatoewy sauce, ( my favorite) it cuts down on the sweetness a little.

Definitely gave the crunch factor and also cut back the sweetness a bit.
Perfect addition to the sandwich, just wasn't exactly sure what it was.

Now time to go home and try to duplicate it before my taste buds forget what i ate. :yum:

Now knowing the cabbage substance on my sandwich, and having a few cabbages ready for harvest in my garden, Im going to take this opportunity as a perfect segue to ask if anyone can share a good coleslaw recipe or hook me up with a link to some TNT recipes.

We did a BBQ for friends last week. Included on the menu was pulled pork which we served with BBQ sauce, cole salw and buns. Some of us put the cole slaw on the sandwich and others ate it as a side dish.

What else did you serve, andy. Looking for ideas for a labor day get together.

Larry--there are 47 threads re: how to make coleslaw. I get on kicks where I will make the dressing that gets added to kimchee and make a "kimchee" slaw. Or, I will go on my Mexican kick and use Mexican flavors with grated jalapeno. Or good ol' creamy coleslaw...or Asian...or...coleslaw with grilled nectarines and a lime-EVOO based dressing with radishes added to the coleslaw...

Here's a link to the results I got when I searched. PF's Asian Coleslaw is popular, as are the KFC versions.

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums - Search Results

What else did you serve, andy. Looking for ideas for a labor day get together.

SO picked up a jug of Moonshine for drinks to go along with the BBQ theme. We had ABTs and crudite with ranch dip as appetizers. I smoked/roasted a boston butt for pulled pork and smoked some baby backs. For sides we did BBQ baked beans and cole slaw. Dessert was an apple squares recipe adapted for a cast iron skillet with vanilla ice cream. Beer and wine too.

I even had enough pulled pork to freeze six sandwich-sized portions for other meals.

My KFC clone is the same as Kayelle's. Snagged it off of Food dot com / used to be Recipezaar. When I looked at it, I cringed and said I can't print that... look at all that sugar. Apparently I do, though I am sure I cut it back a little and use turbinado / raw sugar. Also I add a scoop of celery seed.

My favorite cole slaw is with blue cheese dressing.

1/3-1/2 cup mayo
1/4-1/3 cup buttermilk
1/4-1/3 cup sour cream
4 oz favorite blue cheese
Juice 1/2 lemon or ~1 Tbs vinegar
2 tsps. or so minced parsley
green onion tops, minced
Pepper
Optional-- start adding what you like
Worcestershire
horseradish
garlic powder
tarragon
few shakes Tabasco

Mix everything, smash half the blue cheese in with the dressing until smooth; Mix the other half crumbled at the end. For cole slaw, I like to spoon it on top the cabbage at serving at the table. I think this dressing does not marinate well with cabbage but do make in advance so the flavors blend. It's thick enough to use as a sandwich spread and of course, on any salad you like with blue cheese besides cole slaw. For cole slaw, if not chopping a cabbage, I like to buy "angel hair" bagged cabbage.

Wiska, I'm making a big batch of the cole slaw for a birthday party on Sun, but I'm going to save out some cabbage to test drive your dressing recipe. For some reason, blue cheese sounds like a winner in this house, but not for everyone.

On the KFC copy recipe, I do use all the sugar but lately have been replacing both the milk and buttermilk with Greek yogurt, as I always have that on hand.

I don't really have a 'recipe' - I just shred some white and purple cabbage and carrots, mix a little rice wine vinegar into mayo until it has the tang I like, add a little sugar and celery seed, mix it all together and let it sit in the fridge for a little while. I almost always just make it for me, so the measurements are small. My family doesn't care for cole slaw. :ermm::ohmy::huh:

Whisk, the bleu cheese addition sounds really good - I'm going to have to try that sometime when I have other things to make to use up the bleu cheese. I do love it in salad dressings.

Come to think of it, I could use up some of the bleu cheese in a compound butter and freeze it! :)

Last edited:
My "recipe" is similar to Cheryl's. I taste until I like it.

Whiska's blue cheese addition sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom