Recipe Mushroom-Filled Croissants - TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
I adapted this recipe from the L.A. Times eons ago. I've brought it to Thanksgiving dinners and everyone gobbled it up. I added other ingredients along the way, but didn't wriite them down :neutral: If you like a buttery-flakey croissant filled with shrooms and sour cream, give it a try. I have another recipe for Mushrooms Paprikash, that I'm thinking about wrapping up in the croissants next time. If anyone is interested in the mushroom paprikash, wave. :)

Mushroom-Filled Croissants

1/3 cup chopped onion
2 tbl butter
1/4 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
1-2 cloves garlic, minced/chopped
3 cups thinly-sliced mushrooms, about 8 oz
1/4 cup sour cream
2 (8 oz) cans refrigerated crescent rolls

In lg skillet saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Remove from heat, add pepper and mushrooms. Mix well. Gently fold in sour cream until mushrooms are evenly coated. Separate crescent dough into 16 triangles.

To form 1 lg croissant, overlap long sides of 2 triangles about 1/2". Press edges to seal. Spoon 1/4 cup mushroom mixture evenly over each large triangle. Beginning at shortest side of triangle, roll loosely to opposite point.

Place rolls, point side down on ungreased baking sheet. Curve edges to create crescent shape. Bake at 375 deg. 14-18 minutes or until golden brown.

8 servings

Could serve it with a scrambled egg breakfast, or an accompaniment to prime rib.

P.S. I love croissants filled with just about anything - chicken salad, ham and swiss sandwich or chocolate chips...etc., etc. :chef:

Oui!! I love croissants too and I definetely love mushrooms as well... why did I never think of this combination!! Thanks Mish for the great idea:)

Thank you, mish! I've got some 'shrooms in the fridge that need to be used - this is perfect!!

This looks delicious! One question ... how have you stopped the filling from ozzing out during baking? Are you sealing it in as you roll? Dumb question - sorry!
: ) Joanna

JMediger said:
This looks delicious! One question ... how have you stopped the filling from ozzing out during baking? Are you sealing it in as you roll? Dumb question - sorry!
: ) Joanna

Not a dumb question, Joanna :) There's only 1/4 cup of sour cream, which isn't very much. When you put the filling on the dough keep it away from the edges, so it is encased when you roll 'em up. Also - when you press the two triangles together you have a large croissant. Hope that makes sense. It is yummy. Let us know how it turned out.

Constance said:
That sounds delish, Mish...one could do all sorts of variations with this recipe. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you, Constance, I was thinking the same - re variations...

shrooms /ham/Swiss (with shallots and chives)

shrimp salad

chocolate chips/cream cheese

pineapple and cream cheese

Cherry pie filling

I bet we can come up with a bunch of ideas.

Ya know, Mish, I have some bulk fillings that I bought when a local grocery/deli went out of business. This would be a great way to use them up!
Thank you, thank you!!!

Constance...yum yum. Guessing, bulk fillings are like sausage? I'm thinking sausage and mushrooms. What a great idea. Thank you, thank you. thank you!

This is a natural for diced beef mixed with diced potatoes as well, maybe add some onion and garlic in the filling too. Other ideas would be to wrap the crecent roll dough around pizza fillings, or around a sweet pumpkin custard, or taco/burrito fillings, meat and gravy, fruit fillings, good cheeses such as gruyere, swiss, fontina, or muenster, chocolate and pitted cherries, simply spread with extra-virgin-olive-oil and garlic, and the list is endless. Great thread, and great responses. Good job everyone. Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Ok ... so one more question because I think I'm going to make them tonight ... I have a meeting to go to and want to get things ready to just cook off when I get home. Can I roll these up and throw them in the fridge for an hour or so then bake them off? Suggestions?
Thank you!!

They are very quick to put together, so I made them all at once.

mish said:
Constance...yum yum. Guessing, bulk fillings are like sausage? I'm thinking sausage and mushrooms. What a great idea. Thank you, thank you. thank you!
Sausage sure would be good with the mushrooms!

But I was talking about bulk fillings from the store bakery...I have peach, cherry and apple in big plastic bags that have been sitting in my basement pantry since June. You just snip the end and squeeze out what you need, then close the bag up. The baker told me the bags don't need to be refrigerated after opening. ?? The stuff must have a ton of sugar in it, and goodness knows what else. We have a spare fridge in the garage, so I think I'll put what I don't use there, just to be safe. I'd like to get some of this stuff used up over the holidays, and your method with the crescants sounds tasty and easy. I could drizzle a little powdered sugar glaze over the top after they are done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom