Runzas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bossman150

Cook
A favorite Nebraska meal, especially when freezing at a Husker game in October! Someone thought I should write my recipes in traditional format so I will try. I actually have 3 different recipes, the first one is the more authentic version and then I have 2 easier Runza casserole recipes. First the more authentic version, as a heads up I don't usually measure much of anything so these are my best guesses:

Authentic Runza filling:

1lb lean hamburger
1/2 head cabbage, shredded
1 small onion, diced finely
Optional- 1 can sauerkraut, drained (less authentic but it tastes good!)
Spices to add to taste, giving an estimate of what I usually use:
1 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tsp Lowry's seasoned salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper if you like a little heat

Brown the hamburger in a large skillet/chef's pan/dutch oven, add the diced onion about half way through cooking. Drain, return to the pot. Add the shredded cabbage and spices, turn to medium heat and cover. Cook until the cabbage is very soft, could take 25 to 45 mins. Taste and re-season if needed, it should have a good amount of salt but obviously that is subjective, just make sure it tastes good to you. Drain the mixture.

From here for more authentic you can use frozen bread dough, or pizza dough works well, divide into 4-6 bread pockets fill, close them and bake until nice and golden brown.

The easier route is to like a 9/13 glass casserole dish and spray well with cooking spray. Line the bottom with a can of crescent rolls, add the filling and top with a 2nd can of crescent rolls. Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes until the bottom is nice and golden brown.

2nd recipe, this is usually the one I use with the crescent roll crust:

1 14.5 oz can of sauerkraut, drained
1 lb of lean hamburger
1/2 medium onion, diced fine
1 10.5oz can cream of mushroom soup
provolone or mozzarella or swiss cheese
2 cans crescent rolls

Preheat the oven to 350. Brown the hamburger with the onions, drain and return to pan. Add the sauerkraut and mushroom soup, combine well. Spray the bottom of 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray and line the bottom with 1 can of crescent dough. Add the filling, top with cheese and the 2nd can of dough. Bake for 25-35 mins until the bottom is golden brown.

3rd recipe, this is a newer one that my son loves, he won't eat regular runzas. To the base 2nd recipe add 1/4 cup yellow mustard, 1/3 cup finely chopped dill pickles, 4-6 thick cut cooked to crispy bacon chopped, 1 small can of mushrooms finely chopped. Prepare the same as the 2nd recipe, except use American cheese.

I use all 3 recipes a lot, they are all very good!:yum:

Last edited:
I first heard about these from a YouTube buddy. Here is his video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zkt_xc_hto

Those look very good! He made about twice as much filling as my recipe. I usually make a double batch though and freeze half the filling. I am not sure why almost all Runza recipes I have found only use salt and pepper for spices though, Runzas from the restaurant are highly seasoned with other spices, I just don't know for sure what. Garlic powder, Lowry's Seasoned salt, salt and pepper have come the closest for me.

I've only had them at a Runza restaurant in Sidney NE. Okay, but I'll still take a good burger over a Runza. They did have pretty good fries though. :yum:

There's a Runza's in Scottsbluff, Nebraska...may have to check it out. Although I prefer plain cabbage rolls, not sauerkraut.

Maybe you can eat cabbage rolls, but my opinion: :yuk:

How about collard green rolls stuffed with dirty rice or jambalaya and cooked in a sauce piquante? Eastern Europe meets Cajun!:yum: We'll have to make these again.

:LOL: it's the only way I can eat cabbage unless I eat it raw with salt :ermm:

Haven't you ever had German style, sweet and sour red cabbage, Rotkohl?:yum: It is definitely part of my birthday meal, along with sauerbraten and kartoffelklosse (stuffed potato dumpling) which are about the size of a baseball.

Haven't you ever had German style, sweet and sour red cabbage, Rotkohl?:yum: It is definitely part of my birthday meal, along with sauerbraten and kartoffelklosse (stuffed potato dumpling) which are about the size of a baseball.
Lord no, that sounds fancy, I'm a WV gal, I thought my arugula in my salad was stepping it up :LOL: I bet I would like those potato dumplings! :D

Back
Top Bottom