Salad in a sandwich rec. idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kadesma said:
That was my thougts when I put this together, but I did want more evoo and vinegar, but didn't want to soak the roll and get them soggy. So I just mixed my dressing and brushed it on both sides of the roll and poured the rest over the other ingredients.

kadesma:)

Umm, my mouth is watering. That sounds so good.

kadesma said:
Had my girls here for lunch today. It's been pretty warm the last few days, so they wanted salad and a sandwich..Hummm. I had some great french rolls I'd just bought, so I slit them, pulled out some of the inner bread and then brushed the insides with a vinegar,evoo,crushed garlic, salt and pepper. I mixed some tuna,red bell pepper strips, diced grape tomatoes, sliced black olives, capers,anchovy fillets, diced avocado, shredded fresh basil and romaine lettuce, put this on the rolls, then drizzled the rest of the dressing over the top. We had the sanwiches and some spicy sausage,parmesan stuffed mushrooms and mango iced tea and lunch was pretty good:LOL:

kadesma
That sounds like a Pain Bagnat to me! :D It's a traditional Provencal sandwich usually made in a baguette that contains some or all of the ingredients usually found in a Salade Nicoise. It's pretty messy to eat, but so very tasty. and I don't think I've ever made or eaten two that were exactly the same.

ChefJune said:
That sounds like a Pain Bagnat to me! :D It's a traditional Provencal sandwich usually made in a baguette that contains some or all of the ingredients usually found in a Salade Nicoise. It's pretty messy to eat, but so very tasty. and I don't think I've ever made or eaten two that were exactly the same.
ChefJune,
it was messy, I should have gotten those big bib's they give you when you order chopino:LOL: But we managed..Thanks for giving the sandwich a name.

kadesma said:
ChefJune,
it was messy, I should have gotten those big bib's they give you when you order chopino:LOL: But we managed..Thanks for giving the sandwich a name.

The problem for me with those sandwiches is not solved with a bib, because it's the "juice" running down my arms! :ROFLMAO: but they are SO good!

ChefJune said:
The problem for me with those sandwiches is not solved with a bib, because it's the "juice" running down my arms! :ROFLMAO: but they are SO good!
Ah ha, you too:LOL: I agree they are indeed messy and slurpy but you just can't put it down.

kadesma:-p

Kads, the first thing that popped into my head reading your recipe idea, was it reminded me of an inside-out Panzanella. :LOL:

One of my fave summer picnic sammies is Ensalada Caprese on crusty Italian bread (basil, fresh mozzarella, ripe tomatoes, s&p, evoo & vinegar) - and a side of marinated mushrooms, cold potato or cold mac salad etc.

I was at Quizno's the other day (don't laugh, but I like their whole wheat bread & sammies), & they were putting together a chopped salad on flat bread that looked really good. May put that tog at home. That reminded me of a recipe on Williams-Sonoma's site for an eggplant (roasted red pepper, onions etc - from memory) on flat bread. How 'bout a caponata sammich?

My cucumber, tomato, red onion, red wine vinegar & oil salad is made up in the fridge -- if I can p/u some focaccia, would like to give your idea a go -- maybe add some kalamatas & maybe cold asparagus. A guac salad is another thought. Lots of possibilities. Thanks for sharing your idea! :chef: I'm on my way to find a bib :LOL:

Last edited:
I just made a quick and small salad in a sandwich. I had a mini pita pocket and mixed some (lettuce, red onion, yellow pepper, greek salad dressing, and few slices of cut up tomatoes). I did add a little american cheese. : ). It was yummy!!!

mish said:
Kads, the first thing that popped into my head reading your recipe idea, was it reminded me of an inside-out Panzanella. :LOL:

One of my fave summer picnic sammies is Ensalada Caprese on crusty Italian bread (basil, fresh mozzarella, ripe tomatoes, s&p, evoo & vinegar) - and a side of marinated mushrooms, cold potato or cold mac salad etc.

I was at Quizno's the other day (don't laugh, but I like their whole wheat bread & sammies), & they were putting together a chopped salad on flat bread that looked really good. May put that tog at home. That reminded me of a recipe on Williams-Sonoma's site for an eggplant (roasted red pepper, onions etc - from memory) on flat bread. How 'bout a caponata sammich?

My cucumber, tomato, red onion, red wine vinegar & oil salad is made up in the fridge -- if I can p/u some focaccia, would like to give your idea a go -- maybe add some kalamatas & maybe cold asparagus. A guac salad is another thought. Lots of possibilities. Thanks for sharing your idea! :chef: I'm on my way to find a bib :LOL:
Good heavens Mish,
ya caught me with 3 kids on my hands and I can't run to the store:( All your ideas sound so good. I love a grilled eggplant sammie with provolone, sauteed onions, roasted red bell peppers..I think you just dictated next sundays meal, all types of salad sammies:LOL: Thanks..Lunch one day this week is surly going to be one of these ideas...:pig:

kadesma

legend_018 said:
I just made a quick and small salad in a sandwich. I had a mini pita pocket and mixed some (lettuce, red onion, yellow pepper, greek salad dressing, and few slices of cut up tomatoes). I did add a little american cheese. : ). It was yummy!!!
legend,
good sounding sammie. I love pitas, stuffed with lettuce,roasted peppers,avocado,sweet onion, and an evoo,vinegar dressing and some ham or cheese. There are so many things you can do..Even plain tuna, lettuce, avocado and gressing is good. That is what is fun about things like this..All the mix and match to create a sandwich that sooths our soul.

kadesma

Back
Top Bottom