Salad in a sandwich rec. idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Had my girls here for lunch today. It's been pretty warm the last few days, so they wanted salad and a sandwich..Hummm. I had some great french rolls I'd just bought, so I slit them, pulled out some of the inner bread and then brushed the insides with a vinegar,evoo,crushed garlic, salt and pepper. I mixed some tuna,red bell pepper strips, diced grape tomatoes, sliced black olives, capers,anchovy fillets, diced avocado, shredded fresh basil and romaine lettuce, put this on the rolls, then drizzled the rest of the dressing over the top. We had the sanwiches and some spicy sausage,parmesan stuffed mushrooms and mango iced tea and lunch was pretty good:LOL:

kadesma

mmm that sounds wonderful, kadesma!

You are such an inventive cook and prepare such lovely lunches for your daughters!

Lee

QSis said:
mmm that sounds wonderful, kadesma!

You are such an inventive cook and prepare such lovely lunches for your daughters!

Lee
Thanks Lee,
this was a use what I had idea. There was no way in heck I was going back to the store in the heat, after just comeing home:LOL: So I just grabed this and that and crossed my fingers...It is fun to do though if given time to think...

kadesma

SurvivorGirl said:
I envy them!! that souds incredible!:chef:
Thank you survivorGirl,
it turned out pretty good..Welcome to DC.

kadesma:)

Clearly you've been to New Orleans for a Mufaletta - at least I think that's the sort of sandwich you describe....yum!

RMS said:
You are making me hungry! This sounds so good!
It turned out pretty well. Both girls enjoyed it as did I..Sorry I made you hungry, there is nothing worse than to be doing something and the ol tummy gets in it's 2 cents!:LOL:

kadesma

lindatooo said:
Clearly you've been to New Orleans for a Mufaletta - at least I think that's the sort of sandwich you describe....yum!
Lyndatooo,
as much as I've wanted to go to N.O. I have never been:( But I've had a salad Nicoise several times and wondered how it would be combining it into a sandwich..So I tried it with several additions of my own and we really enjoyed it.

kadesma, the recipes you come up with are unique to me, and they sound delicious! A mixture of sweet (red peppers, grape tomatoes) plus the mixture of salty (anchovies, capers). Sounds delicious to me!

amber said:
kadesma, the recipes you come up with are unique to me, and they sound delicious! A mixture of sweet (red peppers, grape tomatoes) plus the mixture of salty (anchovies, capers). Sounds delicious to me!
Thanks Amber,
for me mixing things around and trying this and that with foods of all kinds is relaxing and fun. Sometimes things turn out great and others well let's just say that the garbage disposal gets it share :LOL:

Your title reminds me of one of my favourite lunches at work, especially when the weather gets hot. Between two dry slices of whole wheat toast I put roasted red peppers, cucumber slices, red onion slices, lettuce and black olives with a bit of balsamic.
....and here I thought I coined the term ' salad sandwich', haha.

Sounds good to me, now I think I have an idea of what I am going to make for lunch today :)

VeraBlue said:
Your title reminds me of one of my favourite lunches at work, especially when the weather gets hot. Between two dry slices of whole wheat toast I put roasted red peppers, cucumber slices, red onion slices, lettuce and black olives with a bit of balsamic.
....and here I thought I coined the term ' salad sandwich', haha.
VeraBlue,
your sandwich idea sounds really good. I'll be trying it very soon. As to salad sandwich, you probably did coin the phrase, I just fell over it trying to think of what to put into the title part of the post...:LOL:

kadesma

Sounds fabulous!!! I've always been a big fan of salads as sandwich fillings - regardless of the type of salad. Always works out great, if sometimes a bit unconventional.

Flightschool said:
Sounds good to me, now I think I have an idea of what I am going to make for lunch today :)
Flightschool,
I think you would enjoy this sandwich..I put it into a 6 inch french roll, but I'm wondering how it would go with pocket bread.?

BreezyCooking said:
Sounds fabulous!!! I've always been a big fan of salads as sandwich fillings - regardless of the type of salad. Always works out great, if sometimes a bit unconventional.
Thanks Breezy,
Even as a teen I would save my salad til the very last of the meal and when everyone was done, I'd use the leftover dressing in the bottom of the bowl to pour over several slices of french bread then top that with the left over salad..my favorite part of the meal.

JoAnn L. said:
I always like to drizzle some olive oil on my salad sandwiches and then sprinkle on some salt and pepper. Yum!:rolleyes:
That was my thougts when I put this together, but I did want more evoo and vinegar, but didn't want to soak the roll and get them soggy. So I just mixed my dressing and brushed it on both sides of the roll and poured the rest over the other ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom