Sandwich bread is changing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I buy my bread at Panera, and I alternate the type of bread I buy every two weeks. I buy the big loaves and have the clerk put half each in two bags. Then I use one while the other goes in the freezer. If I don't do that, green stuff starts growing on it and I have to toss it out in the yard. I bet I have the healthiest birds in California!

It works out really good because I go to Sunday Brunch at The Lazy Dog and Panera is right around the corner. Target is also in that same shopping center so I can pick up any prescriptions, groceries, cat food, or anything I need in the way of toiletries while I am there.

goodnews1.jpg

"Good news everyone!" (says Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth from Futurama).

I found a bread company owned by Bimbo that has bigger sized slices and isn't mushy. It's call Rainbo bread. It's labeled Large size. To me it's the size all bread used to be.

The texture is also more coarse which I like. Home Pride and Sara Lee sandwich bread (and many other brands) are the ones that changed for the worse. So, I've found my new fave bread. Available at Walmart! (Not available at Vons, Safeway, Ralph's or Albertson's) It's more expensive than the others ($2.68 vs. $1.59) but who cares!!! :clap:

bimbo.jpg

rainbo.jpg

Last edited:
I was just trying to think of the last time I bought a loaf of bread for me (I sometimes buy day old as a treat for the girls)........2001? I find it so much easier to fire up the bread machine if I want a loaf of bread. Most of the time, I make pita bread if I'm going to make bread. For the most part, I quit eating bread in 2012 when I switched to eating my big meal (most days) for breakfast, subbing whole grains for bread. Although I love bread, I really don't miss it. Nor does my waistline.

Fluffernutter doesn't taste right on anything but store bought white bread for me!

I really like homemade bread, but I usually have commercial bread around for convenience.

When I lived in Maine, there was a commercial bread company called J.J. Nissen, now owned by Bimbo, dang it. They had a Canadian White Bread that was as close to homemade bread that you could find from a commercial bakery. It was the only bread I'd buy and it was usually the first to sell out. I now buy Peppridge Farm and it's pretty decent.

"Good news everyone!" (says Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth from Futurama).

I found a bread company owned by Bimbo that has bigger sized slices and isn't mushy. It's call Rainbo bread. It's labeled Large size. To me it's the size all bread used to be.

The texture is also more coarse which I like. Home Pride and Sara Lee sandwich bread (and many other brands) are the ones that changed for the worse. So, I've found my new fave bread. Available at Walmart! (Not available at Vons, Safeway, Ralph's or Albertson's) It's more expensive than the others ($2.68 vs. $1.59) but who cares!!! :clap:

bimbo.jpg

rainbo.jpg

It seems everything has been changing. I buy bread when I don't have time to bake it and, yes, I've seen the changes - but honestly never thought about it. Though more expensive, I generally get Pepperidge Farms when I buy it. That being said, when I have the time, I will bake my own bread for two reasons. First, I know exactly what is in it. Secondly, it is pennies on the loaf! (And I can make extra loaves to freeze prior to baking! So I guess that is three reasons!)

Bread is generally a few bucks but the super-awesome KA mixer paid for itself within a year in savings via home-made bread. I also got a pullman pan so I would have soft crusts. Mind you, I got small pans so there is no way that a bologna slice will fit on my bread. ;)

I'm glad you found your bread though. It's upsetting when one likes a product and it changes or disappears!

~Kathleen

It seems everything has been changing. I buy bread when I don't have time to bake it and, yes, I've seen the changes - but honestly never thought about it. Though more expensive, I generally get Pepperidge Farms when I buy it. That being said, when I have the time, I will bake my own bread for two reasons. First, I know exactly what is in it. Secondly, it is pennies on the loaf! (And I can make extra loaves to freeze prior to baking! So I guess that is three reasons!)

Bread is generally a few bucks but the super-awesome KA mixer paid for itself within a year in savings via home-made bread. I also got a pullman pan so I would have soft crusts. Mind you, I got small pans so there is no way that a bologna slice will fit on my bread. ;)

I'm glad you found your bread though. It's upsetting when one likes a product and it changes or disappears!

~Kathleen

The kitchenaid just makes bread making fairly effortless, I haven't hand kneaded in quite some time!

I'm not a baker, but I do admire those who can throw together a few loaves of homemade bread at any given time, with or without a bread machine. It seems so effortless when I read about them. :) I've made homemade bread twice in my life and it was pretty good, but I was clumsy at it. :LOL:

My fave storebought breads that I always have on hand is pita and Orowheat Dill Rye bread. Love that stuff. I usually have some kind of white or whole wheat bread stashed in the freezer for when the grands are here and want PB&J or French toast.

I'm not a baker, but I do admire those who can throw together a few loaves of homemade bread at any given time, with or without a bread machine. It seems so effortless when I read about them. :) I've made homemade bread twice in my life and it was pretty good, but I was clumsy at it. :LOL:

All it takes is practice... well.. that and a nice mixer. :LOL:

When the kids were small I would make my own bread quite often. I didn't have a KA to mix it, so it was all done by hand. Just like your grandmother did. I think my favorite part of it was the kneading. It always gave me time to just think whose head I had on that table top as I squished and slammed that dough. Got a lot of aggression out. Friday was usually my bread making day. A lot of times I would make the dough, and then bake it on Saturday before I put the beans in to cook. :angel:

When the kids were small I would make my own bread quite often. I didn't have a KA to mix it, so it was all done by hand. Just like your grandmother did. I think my favorite part of it was the kneading. It always gave me time to just think whose head I had on that table top as I squished and slammed that dough. Got a lot of aggression out. Friday was usually my bread making day. A lot of times I would make the dough, and then bake it on Saturday before I put the beans in to cook. :angel:

I've watched relatives make it since I was a young girl, Addie....sure wish I would've picked up on that and tried it while I was young and impressionable. :LOL: I still might try it...I guess you're never too old to learn. My grandma used to put together the most wonderful and flakiest pie crust, just by the look and feel of the ingredients. :yum:

I've watched relatives make it since I was a young girl, Addie....sure wish I would've picked up on that and tried it while I was young and impressionable. :LOL: I still might try it...I guess you're never too old to learn. My grandma used to put together the most wonderful and flakiest pie crust, just by the look and feel of the ingredients. :yum:

Strangely, as fantastic cooks as they were, I don't ever recall my grandma or great aunt ever baking bread. They both made awesome piecrust though.

When the kids were small I would make my own bread quite often. I didn't have a KA to mix it, so it was all done by hand. Just like your grandmother did. I think my favorite part of it was the kneading. It always gave me time to just think whose head I had on that table top as I squished and slammed that dough...
I always used potato-mashing time to relieve my annoyance with Himself. "Mommy, you sure made fluffy potatoes today". :ROFLMAO:

I can teach you to make pie crust the same way.:D

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:

My fave storebought breads that I always have on hand is pita and Orowheat Dill Rye bread. Love that stuff. I usually have some kind of white or whole wheat bread stashed in the freezer for when the grands are here and want PB&J or French toast.

Pepperidge Farms makes the Cinnamon (with/without raisins) Roll Bread. It makes the best French Bread. Well worth the cost. I buy the without raisins. For me it is like biting into wet bugs. YUK! :angel:

Pepperidge Farms makes the Cinnamon (with/without raisins) Roll Bread. It makes the best French Bread. Well worth the cost. I buy the without raisins. For me it is like biting into wet bugs. YUK! :angel:

I prefer the wet bugs in mine! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

That makes a great grilled ham and cheese sandwich for a lazy Sunday brunch!

When I first started to make bread, it seemed to take forever to knead it into a smooth ball. Patience has never been my best personality point. I almost gave up the first time. I am so glad I didn't. Then I learned to daydream while doing it. The time would just fly by. I would make it for Saturday night to go with the baked beans that had been in the oven all day. I would keep the two loaves of bread warm and the kids never knew whether to dig into the beans or tear into the bread. No knife needed. They would just tear off a piece from the loaf. I never had leftovers. A warm slice of freshly made bread slathered with real butter. A dish of freshly baked homemade beans along with a knockwurst. No dessert. By the time they got through the main part of the meal, they were all full. Too full for desert. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom