Sandwich in the fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ritu

Assistant Cook
How long can a sandwich remain edible when kept in the fridge? (Can it last up to 7 days? Eg.: mayo & cheese, or Peanut butter jelly).

Thanks!

Ritu

I couldnt eat a sandwich that is not made fresh the same day, but to answer your question, I would think no longer than a day if you dont want soggy bread.

Hi Ritu. Welcome to DC.

Freshly-made is always best, but try wrapping the sandwich in saran wrap & keeping it in the fridge - one or two days tops. Some markets have sammiches in those plastic divider containers that are sealed with an expiration date. Mayo & relish might make the bread soggy. If you're pressed for time, make up the sammich fillings (i.e. tuna/egg/ham salad etc.) ahead & put it in a sealed container or a food sealer bag. A zip lock might help.

Last edited:
Thank you!

so i guess that making sandwiches over the weekend and refrigerating them would not keep them edible.

thanks anyway for your prompt and detailed replies!! :)

R

you can keep something in your fridge for up to 4 days. thing is, is that what you'd want to keep it in your fridge for? i'd stay with a day or 2.

Keeping Sandwiches

I have made sandwiches on wheat bread with turkey, mayo, mustard, cheese, and lettuce. I found that you can wrap the sandwich in either plastic wrap or in a napkin and then in tinfoil and place it into a sandwich bag. The longest it can be left there is 1 or 2 days, then the bread starts to get soggy and everything starts to mold together. Plus it doesn't taste very good any more. The same with peanutbutter and jelly, 1 to 2 days, then the jelly starts to soak into the bread and the oils start coming out of the peanutbutter. So FRESH is always best.:)

fresh is best

I don't even like to make mine in the morning and bring to work for lunch.
I put the makings in their own baggy and assemble at lunch. I do this
for my husband too the extra time and extra effort makes for a special
sandwich.

Hmm, I think that all depends if you are a guy or a girl.. hehe. For me, unless there is mold on the sandwhich its good to go. But maybe for others I doubt my prefrences would satisfy.

fresh

Ripliancum said:
Hmm, I think that all depends if you are a guy or a girl.. hehe. For me, unless there is mold on the sandwhich its good to go. But maybe for others I doubt my prefrences would satisfy.

Total female here and my hubby is a manly man, I definately want the
freshest, I think he could do without, don't think he would go as far
as long as there is no mold. maybe before he met me. But I do think
the extra effort taste the best. Food made with love, the only way to go.

I won't eat a sandwhich that was made over twenty minutes ago, ever. Even the super-tight-wrapped ones from starbucks get soggy and old tasting every flavor element blends into one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom