"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 05-21-2007, 04:05 AM   #11
Master Chef

I would have to say that the only limit to the number of recipes for a "sandwich" depends on what is available and your imagination.

Sorry, jennerose - you didn't bother to enter where you live in your user profile - so it's really hard for us to tell you what might be a new sandwich idea for you based on where you live. I have a nephew deployed in Afghanistan and the kids there had never heard of a "peanut butter and jelly sandwich" - and I, and his dad, grew up on them.

We also used to eat onion sandwiches (two slices of bread slathered with mayonaise and a slice of onion in the middle), and tomato sandwiches (same as the onion sandwich but with a thick slice of tomato), and lettuce sandwiches ... make a sandwich with 2-3 slices of fried bacon, a slice of tomato and some lettuce and you have a classic BLT! Sometimes we had cheese to add to a sandwich, sometimes cheese was the only thing we had between the bread - sometimes we ate them cold and sometimes we toasted them ... sometimes we had a "wish" sandwich ... two slices of bread slathered with some mayo and we "wished" we had something else to put in it.

The sandwich existed long before the cook for the English "Earl of Sandwich" put some roasted beef between two slices of bread ... take a kabob and strip the meat off and serve it in a folded-up piece of flat bread was a sandwich ... popular long before the "Earl" - like Bchamel sauce was originally documented in a cooking book by a Greek cook named Orion over 400 years before it showed up in France under the name Bchamel.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
We also used to eat onion sandwiches (two slices of bread slathered with mayonaise and a slice of onion in the middle),
Isn't that spicy?

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivorGirl
Isn't that spicy?
If it's a Vidalia onion it is sweet and not hot usually. I used to marinate my tomatoes in basil oil and onion but remove the onion before I made my sandwich

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
Head Chef

Michael in FtW: I couldn't agree with you more. When I moved cross country from Texas to Illinois, I thought that I could count on Brand Names to be the same. That was a pipe dream!

The first thing that I reached for was a sandwich. Oscar Mayer, Miracle Whip, and Kraft. What a shock! They obviously have more than one recipe!

There is nothing better than French's Mustard in Illinois.

Pork Sausage Brands are better in Illinois and Jimmy Dean is not the pick of the house.

Fast Food varies too and so does the menu! I ordered without looking at the menu at TACO Bell and the clerk comes back and says "What?"
Old 05-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #15
Master Chef

If you are going to make sandwiches here is an example how to. Don't worry abouot the lenguage, just click on the link below look at the pictures:

Òåñòû, èãðû, ïðîãðàìì&# 251;, èíòåðåñí&# 251;å ýôôåêòû è ÿâëåíèÿ ïðèðîäû : Áóòåð-àðò
Old 05-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Charlie, they're adorable. Our grandsons would flip if their sandwiches looked like any of them. Might get them to eat some different vegetables, too. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:41 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
If you are going to make sandwiches here is an example how to. Don't worry abouot the lenguage, just click on the link below look at the pictures
Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #18
Head Chef

lol @ the first page of this thread.

reminds me of the twilight zone.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
If you are going to make sandwiches here is an example how to. Don't worry abouot the lenguage, just click on the link below look at the pictures:

, , , : -

Well, I did say that I needed some recipes for bologna! Although I do not speak or read the language, you can narrow the responses down and understand them. (I guess there is not a foreign word for E-Mail....did you join? )

I envision a rainy day summer project in this. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Those are great, Charlie D! I loved them.