Sandwiches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VeraBlue - What makes you think being a liquid makes something not sandwich worthy? Some of the best sandwiches I've had are open faced with some type of gravy on top :)

This is the Tailgate Sandwich I am fixing tonight:
12 inch focaccia loaf
1/2 pound smoked turkey sliced
2 Red Roasted Reppers
1/4 pound provolone cheese thinly sliced
2 tomatoes thinly sliced
1 cup shredded greens (your choice)
Balsamic vinagrette

Cut loaf in half spread with 1/3 cup mayo l clove crushed garlic
1 tablespoon juice marianated artichokes. Sprinkle with vinagrette when sandwich is together. Wrap in plastic. Then in foil. Refrigerate 2 hours.

Remove from refrigerator....warm or just eat

KE, this one's for you:

The past two days, I've been working at the "Halfway House" concession stand at the golf course (located between the 9th and 10th holes, half-way through the course).

They have a couple different sandwiches that I like, a "Cubano" and the "Ol' Smokey".

The Cubano is a messed-up version of a Cuban, with ham, turkey, swiss, and chipotle mayo. Pickles and yellow mustard are available on the condiment bar in the "dining room" / seating area.

The Ol' Smokey is two pieces of Wheat, toasted, with swiss, an extremely sweet and SPICY house-made BBQ sauce called "Oklahoma Crude", ham, and two pieces of Tennessee mountain-top bacon (bacon cooked with pepper AND brown sugar, yummy!).

I kind of combined both sandwiches a couple days ago. I used the ham and turkey, heated, swiss, the Crude, and the Tennessee bacon. It was good, but needed something. A little while after I ate that, I realized that the "something" was probably some grilled red onion rings.

Yesterday, I was going to make another one, with the onions, except I was runing low, and finally, out, of the deli meats. Instead, I made a Bacon Cheeseburger with the Tennessee bacon, grilled red onion rings, some of the Crude, and some lettuce (I'm not a mayo or tomato person). OMG! I should have taken a picture of it, as I had my camera with me.

Apparently, I've developed a bit of a following amongst the members and the pro-shop staff during the past two days. From what I gather, the lady that normally works the Halfway House (as we call it) squishes and presses her hamburgers to death, and they end up being well-done hockey pucks with the consistency of cardboard. I lightly press my burgers, once, to flatten them out a few minutes after I flip them. This keeps them juicy as all get out.

Make a salad with some baby greens, water-packed mozzarella, roasted red peppers, strips of grilled portabella mushrooms, shaved prosciutto, kalamata olives, make a dressing of fresh basil, oil, garlic, kosher salt and give it a whirl in a blender. Toss the salad lightly in it, drizzle some on each side of baguette - place your "salad" on the bread and toss it on a panini maker.

When I was a skinny little thing I used to eat butter and sugar sandwiches - it creeps me out now! lol
BTW KE ^^^^^so did I and maybe just as bad, peanut butter and brown sugar sammies also loved peanut butter and iceberg lettuce sammies, also, iceberg and mayo sammies
oh thanks a lot KE, you just got my tastebuds all awakened, sounds delish

VeraBlue - What makes you think being a liquid makes something not sandwich worthy? Some of the best sandwiches I've had are open faced with some type of gravy on top :)

Gee, 7 months later and I noticed that someone commented on my second post in this thread. Had you really read my post, you'll see that my comment makes the idea of an open faced sandwich impossible...since I mention 'slapping two slices of bread together'.... But, hey, if you want to take some chicken soup and slap that between two slices of bread, go for it:wacko:

My lunch sandwich on Sunday (Chicken Breast with Bacon, Swiss Cheese, Lettuce and Tomato).... just a plain one, but pretty nonetheless. I love Cranberry Mayo (mix 1/4 cup mayo with 1 tbsp cranberry sauce)

img_517927_0_338d6c2cf0db1aa0b8fc878afc7f3ed6.jpg

Wow! I din't know you ate bread in Otowa. I thought the only thing available was seal meat on a stick. :ROFLMAO:

Just kidding. I live on the Ontario border in Upper Peninsula Michigan and have a host of freinds in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. But I just couldnt' help myself. Can you forgive me? Please?

And by the way, the sandwich looks good. The picture is pure art.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Gee, 7 months later and I noticed that someone commented on my second post in this thread. Had you really read my post, you'll see that my comment makes the idea of an open faced sandwich impossible...since I mention 'slapping two slices of bread together'.... But, hey, if you want to take some chicken soup and slap that between two slices of bread, go for it:wacko:

Personally, I'm thinking of rootbeer between two slices of english muffin loaf bread.:ROFLMAO::wacko:

Sorry VB. I worked waaaay to hard this week and need to be a bit whacky. But I know you can hanle it. You're too cool a cucumber to get riled up over such a bad, bad joke. Besides, I'm out of snowball range.:-p

Hmmmm, time to peruse the other threads and see if I can stir up more trouble.:devilish:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

[B said:
VeraBlue[/B];517874]Gee, 7 months later and I noticed that someone commented on my second post in this thread. Had you really read my post, you'll see that my comment makes the idea of an open faced sandwich impossible...since I mention 'slapping two slices of bread together'.... But, hey, if you want to take some chicken soup and slap that between two slices of bread, go for it:wacko:

VeraBlue - Not trying to split hairs here... but to me, a "sandwich" (open or closed) is a sandwich as long as fresh bread is involved:), and the intent is you could possibly pick it up to eat it.

Often times I'll make a sandwich that's impossible to slap between two pieces of bread and eat without a knife and fork involved. A favorite of mine would be a BLT with an over easy egg topping the bacon. You could eat it as a sandwich, but would need a bib. I believe the reference meets your concept of a sandwich, but is more liquid then is generally acceptable as a pickup and eat sandwich.

BTW, I often times will make a poultry and mushroom/onion gravy to go with leftover chicken or turkey that I'll shred or cube, and just spoon it over a couple of slices of good bread (instead of noodles). This may not meet the concept of an open sandwich , but is never the less "good eats". As for a "closed" sandwich, I suppose I could limit myself to non-drippy kind of items to add to it.

Becasue of your choice of smiley, I'll assume you are looking down your nose about now, but that's okay as I usually try to be considerate of others.

I hope your day goes well.

Casper

Personally, I'm thinking of rootbeer between two slices of english muffin loaf bread.:ROFLMAO::wacko:

Sorry VB. I worked waaaay to hard this week and need to be a bit whacky. But I know you can hanle it. You're too cool a cucumber to get riled up over such a bad, bad joke. Besides, I'm out of snowball range.:-p

Hmmmm, time to peruse the other threads and see if I can stir up more trouble.:devilish:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

From you, never a worry, haha..... Does that root beer have enough foam to hold up to the nooks and crannies in the muffin?

As far as tossing snowballs goes....never fear, I throw like a girl:huh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom