"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-24-2016, 04:51 PM   #101
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Hope you like it, creative. It will be interesting to see your review after you've had one.
+1...looking forward to your review!

GG, maybe they call them something different in the UK...
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #102
Sous Chef
 
Silversage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 863
Curious .....

I just googled 'Dip & Flip' and it doesn't look like either a hot beef sandwich OR a French dip. It's some kind of double-decker hamburger with roast beef and cheese sauce on a hamburger bun with a side of jus to dip it in. I think it's one of those over-the-top mashups that someone builds just to garner attention. Nothing I'd try.

For the Brits.....

......a hot beef sandwich is thinly sliced roast beef, piled high on a slice of white bread, topped with rich gravy, and eaten with a knife and fork. Sometimes the sandwich is topped with a second slice of bread before covering in the gravy.

This type of sandwich is also often made with sliced turkey after our Thanksgiving holiday.


.......a French dip is thinly sliced roast beef on a toasted roll, served with a side of warn 'au jus' to dip the sandwich. Sometimes you will find sauteed onions or a slice of melted Swiss cheese on a French dip.
__________________

__________________
In our house, dog hair is a condiment!
OMG! I decided to blog!
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
Curious .....

I just googled 'Dip & Flip' and it doesn't look like either a hot beef sandwich OR a French dip. It's some kind of double-decker hamburger with roast beef and cheese sauce on a hamburger bun with a side of jus to dip it in. I think it's one of those over-the-top mashups that someone builds just to garner attention. Nothing I'd try.

For the Brits.....

......a hot beef sandwich is thinly sliced roast beef, piled high on a slice of white bread, topped with rich gravy, and eaten with a knife and fork. Sometimes the sandwich is topped with a second slice of bread before covering in the gravy.

This type of sandwich is also often made with sliced turkey after our Thanksgiving holiday.


.......a French dip is thinly sliced roast beef on a toasted roll, served with a side of warn 'au jus' to dip the sandwich. Sometimes you will find sauteed onions or a slice of melted Swiss cheese on a French dip.
Oh, yeah, just looked it up. That doesn't look very appetizing to me, either. Way too much.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:03 PM   #104
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That sounds more like a French dip than an open-faced roast beef sandwich.
Yes...seems so (from Silversage's description) and am glad it is so!

The gravy/jus is a bone broth and sounds very rich and savoury.
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:05 PM   #105
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
Curious .....

I just googled 'Dip & Flip' and it doesn't look like either a hot beef sandwich OR a French dip. It's some kind of double-decker hamburger with roast beef and cheese sauce on a hamburger bun with a side of jus to dip it in. I think it's one of those over-the-top mashups that someone builds just to garner attention. Nothing I'd try.

For the Brits.....

......a hot beef sandwich is thinly sliced roast beef, piled high on a slice of white bread, topped with rich gravy, and eaten with a knife and fork. Sometimes the sandwich is topped with a second slice of bread before covering in the gravy.

This type of sandwich is also often made with sliced turkey after our Thanksgiving holiday.


.......a French dip is thinly sliced roast beef on a toasted roll, served with a side of warn 'au jus' to dip the sandwich. Sometimes you will find sauteed onions or a slice of melted Swiss cheese on a French dip.
Thanks for your description. Yes - pretty sure it's a french dip but am pleased about that!

http://dipandflip.co.uk/
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #106
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
For the Brits.....

......a hot beef sandwich is thinly sliced roast beef, piled high on a slice of white bread, topped with rich gravy, and eaten with a knife and fork. Sometimes the sandwich is topped with a second slice of bread before covering in the gravy.

This type of sandwich is also often made with sliced turkey after our Thanksgiving holiday.
Also made with roast pork. I always preferred a hot pork sandwich, but that's just me.

Hot beef is really good too, and served at Bully's Pub and Grub just 4 blocks from the house. Made with left over prime rib from their weekly Saturday Night special, with beef gravy and mashed potatoes.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #107
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Also made with roast pork. I always preferred a hot pork sandwich, but that's just me.

Hot beef is really good too, and served at Bully's Pub and Grub just 4 blocks from the house. Made with left over prime rib from their weekly Saturday Night special, with beef gravy and mashed potatoes.
As you can see, from the original link in my OP, in London we have pork roast roll. Traditionally it comes from a suckling pig turned on a spit. The roll has the pork, stuffing (not that great), apple sauce if you want it and crackling (frequently the best part, for me!)
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #108
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Thanks for your description. Yes - pretty sure it's a french dip but am pleased about that!

http://dipandflip.co.uk/
That's not what we know as a French dip. The one we have is thinly sliced roast beef in a roll with jus for dipping. No beef patty, cheese, lettuce, etc.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #109
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's not what we know as a French dip. The one we have is thinly sliced roast beef in a roll with jus for dipping. No beef patty, cheese, lettuce, etc.
Oh well...I am not hung up on the name...my point being it looks delicious! It seems to be a new variation then, by all accounts.
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Oh well...I am not hung up on the name...my point being it looks delicious! It seems to be a new variation then, by all accounts.
No biggie. Just don't call it a French dip, since it's not Hope you enjoy it.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sandwich

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.