"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 02-24-2016, 04:51 PM   #101
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Hope you like it, creative. It will be interesting to see your review after you've had one.
+1...looking forward to your review!

GG, maybe they call them something different in the UK...

Old 02-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #102
Sous Chef

Curious .....

I just googled 'Dip & Flip' and it doesn't look like either a hot beef sandwich OR a French dip. It's some kind of double-decker hamburger with roast beef and cheese sauce on a hamburger bun with a side of jus to dip it in. I think it's one of those over-the-top mashups that someone builds just to garner attention. Nothing I'd try.

For the Brits.....

......a hot beef sandwich is thinly sliced roast beef, piled high on a slice of white bread, topped with rich gravy, and eaten with a knife and fork. Sometimes the sandwich is topped with a second slice of bread before covering in the gravy.

This type of sandwich is also often made with sliced turkey after our Thanksgiving holiday.

.......a French dip is thinly sliced roast beef on a toasted roll, served with a side of warn 'au jus' to dip the sandwich. Sometimes you will find sauteed onions or a slice of melted Swiss cheese on a French dip.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
Curious .....

I just googled 'Dip & Flip' and it doesn't look like either a hot beef sandwich OR a French dip. It's some kind of double-decker hamburger with roast beef and cheese sauce on a hamburger bun with a side of jus to dip it in. I think it's one of those over-the-top mashups that someone builds just to garner attention. Nothing I'd try.

For the Brits.....

......a hot beef sandwich is thinly sliced roast beef, piled high on a slice of white bread, topped with rich gravy, and eaten with a knife and fork. Sometimes the sandwich is topped with a second slice of bread before covering in the gravy.

This type of sandwich is also often made with sliced turkey after our Thanksgiving holiday.

.......a French dip is thinly sliced roast beef on a toasted roll, served with a side of warn 'au jus' to dip the sandwich. Sometimes you will find sauteed onions or a slice of melted Swiss cheese on a French dip.
Oh, yeah, just looked it up. That doesn't look very appetizing to me, either. Way too much.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:03 PM   #104
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That sounds more like a French dip than an open-faced roast beef sandwich.
Yes...seems so (from Silversage's description) and am glad it is so!

The gravy/jus is a bone broth and sounds very rich and savoury.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:05 PM   #105
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Curious .....

For the Brits.....

Thanks for your description. Yes - pretty sure it's a french dip but am pleased about that!

http://dipandflip.co.uk/
Old 02-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #106
Head Chef

Quote:
For the Brits.....

Also made with roast pork. I always preferred a hot pork sandwich, but that's just me.

Hot beef is really good too, and served at Bully's Pub and Grub just 4 blocks from the house. Made with left over prime rib from their weekly Saturday Night special, with beef gravy and mashed potatoes.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #107
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Also made with roast pork. I always preferred a hot pork sandwich, but that's just me.

Hot beef is really good too, and served at Bully's Pub and Grub just 4 blocks from the house. Made with left over prime rib from their weekly Saturday Night special, with beef gravy and mashed potatoes.
As you can see, from the original link in my OP, in London we have pork roast roll. Traditionally it comes from a suckling pig turned on a spit. The roll has the pork, stuffing (not that great), apple sauce if you want it and crackling (frequently the best part, for me!)
Old 02-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #108
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Thanks for your description. Yes - pretty sure it's a french dip but am pleased about that!

http://dipandflip.co.uk/
That's not what we know as a French dip. The one we have is thinly sliced roast beef in a roll with jus for dipping. No beef patty, cheese, lettuce, etc.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #109
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's not what we know as a French dip. The one we have is thinly sliced roast beef in a roll with jus for dipping. No beef patty, cheese, lettuce, etc.
Oh well...I am not hung up on the name...my point being it looks delicious! It seems to be a new variation then, by all accounts.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Oh well...I am not hung up on the name...my point being it looks delicious! It seems to be a new variation then, by all accounts.
No biggie. Just don't call it a French dip, since it's not Hope you enjoy it.

Tags
sandwich